Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When I get some dang tools over here, I'm going to check the ground connections for clean surfaces, etc. I did hit the bolts with a wire brush when I replaced the transmission and battery grounds. Seemed to me the underside of the bolt flange and the threads were what was most important for conductivity.

Each time I attempted to start the car, I held the key in START for 5+ seconds.

12v battery is fully charged, but not load tested. I checked fuses under the hood, all look good. Will get the replacement battery in there as soon as I can and report back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The more I think about it, the more I am suspecting the clutch switch. That would, I think, prevent both IMA and 12v start. I would think even if the 12v battery were bad, when charged you would hear the 12v starter trying to do something?

Problem with that theory is that I already experienced that problem intermittently and replaced the clutch switch (OEM part) maybe a year ago.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Bypass the switch and find out.
Simple to do.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If the battery couldn't hold charge and drained fast after trying to crank then it wouldn't do anything.

Is the new battery installed? If so you could always put some quick jump wires to the starter from the battery to temporarily bypass the electronics and see if the car will start that way (in neutral, ebrake on, IMA breaker flipped off).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Make damn sure the car is in neutral Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Bad or otherwise inoperative clutch switch would definitely prevent starting. Easy to check out and fix if necessary...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Well gentlemen, we indeed have found the culprit of the no-start condition. When the clutch switch is shorted out, the car does a successful IMA start. I indeed have had this issue before and now it’s all coming back to me.

Last year I went to the dealer to order a new clutch switch and the guy behind the parts counter had the little plastic pedal bumpers in a candy dish by the register. He said every summer, he sells the crap out of these things because of the Florida heat. He said put one of these in first, see if you really do need a switch. That plastic is probably just cracked.

Sure enough, the plastic bumper on the end of clutch pedal is busted. I bet the switch is just fine.

Problem is, I could barely see the bumper and looks like a pain to get in there and replace. I guess I'll have to research how best to do this job...

It’s summertime folks! Check your pedal bumpers first!!! :)

And thanks to everyone who chipped in to get me going again. Driving my V10 Ford truck 60 miles a day to work has not been nice on my wallet.

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
558 Posts
Awesome! Glad you were able to get it fixed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts