Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everything but starter worked - lights, wipers, ...
but not even a 'click' from starter.
Temperature, at 7 a.m.: -8 F.

pop-the-clutch down hill worked fine.
But battery was 4 yrs old, so I drove straight to Advance Auto Parts & replaced the 12V battery . . . ( got 50% credit as well on $114 battery )

Now, 2 weeks later in -3 F: same thing.

What could be wrong?
I assume that oil thickened (mobile 1 0w-20) & that's why but what else ?
car is driven daily.

·
Registered
476 Posts
IMA starter doesn't work in extremely cold temps, so most likely your "normal" starter is shot. I've only heard mine used maybe 3 times ever. Compared to the IMA starting the car that thing will scare you it's so loud haha. I'm not one to really know what to do to fix it, but I've always heard giving it a few whacks can free it up if it's stuck. I'd wait for more options from other people before doing anything. good luck, and stay warm!

Tim

·
Administrator
12,617 Posts
Bad or broken ground straps on engine to body. Very common.

Look around under the bonnet at the front right of the air cleaner box general area.

Been discussed loads of times have a search about for how to locate and replace them.

Unlikely starter has failed itself IMO

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
The starter is just like what is on any other vehicle. You can try the screw driver method to ground it to see if it whirls or remove it and use jumper cables and your new battery to test it. Maybe the solonoid is froze.

Advance auto sells a battery with a 4 year pro rated warranty in a group that small?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Starter was bad in my 01, found a $56 remanufactured unit on ebay. 20 minute install in a heated warehouse fixed that problem. My car was originally an arizona car before coming to wisconsin/minnesota so I doubt it ever got used before 2011. Stators don't last if they don't get used.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The starter is just like what is on any other vehicle. You can try the screw driver method to ground it to see if it whirls or remove it and use jumper cables and your new battery to test it. Maybe the solonoid is froze.

Advance auto sells a battery with a 4 year pro rated warranty in a group that small?!?!?!?!
Advance Auto batteries, the Gold models, consistently rank high if not highest in Consumer Reports ratings.
This counter guy looked like he was doing me a favor with 50% off,
kept hitting keys to get it,
as batt. had only 2-yr. warranty. Maybe he didn't like shelf-life sticker on new one: 4/13, 9 months old, maybe he was sympathetic to loyal customer or latest victim of "Polar Vortices."

thx for all replies: solenoid, ground straps (I replaced some but it was years ago) . . . .
I've never heard an odd sound for starter - and the brief sound it made when I tried in -8 F was very slight, almost muffled.

but I don't understand "IMA batt used for starting." Is that the normal way?
Is 12v tapped only when IMA is low?

I'll get ground straps - probably generic, not Honda.
& solenoid sounds smart to replace at 140k miles / 8 yrs

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
As Peter said, check the grounds first. If that does not work, then your starter may be suffering from lack of use.
The 12V starter only starts the car when the IMA battery is too cold.
Since this is a rare condition, the starter may sit for years never being called for to crank the car.
Have seen many times where during MIMA or charger installs the starter would not work, due to the starter solenoid being stuck, or the inner contacts being corroded. In most cases, the starter will work if it is tapped with a small hammer while you are trying to crank. Once it works, things will get freed up, and it will continue to work.
I will turn off my IMA battery occasionally just to keep the starter freed up and working.

Good Luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
No CVT in the cold. I drove 20 miles in -15 degrees with no problem. I made a right hand turn and the transmission disengaged! Anyone have solutions to get it to work again, I pushed it off the road this morning and went onto school.
PL

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If the 12 volt battery is too low, then it won't use the IMA to start, but will try to crank over from the 12 volt battery. I don't know why it works that way, with a good IMA battery I would think that the car would start off of that, and then charge the low 12 volt battery.....

Last summer, twice, I went on a vacation and the car sat about 10 days. Both times the 12 volt battery was low, and it cranked off of the starter to start. IMA battery was fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts