Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insight has a low growly noise and vibration at low rpm/speed. I can minimize it by hitting the S button. I don't notice it at speeds above 30 mph. I am thinking maybe water pump bearing or serpentine belt tensioner bearing.
200K miles on the clock and the color is blue. I think it probably has nothing to do with the color.
The car has refused to do autostop now for a while, probably unrelated. I have pulled and checked the brake pedal sensor, it's fine. It's back in and adjusted, but didn't restore the autostop feature. I have tried lots of combos on the ac from off to on with econ, no autostop. I think engine temp and 12v battery voltage are both fine and should accommodate autostop, so I am thinking maybe a sensor issue? I like autostop and miss it when I am sitting in traffic feeling the engine running with that annoying growl and vibration.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
495 Posts
Seems about the right time for that tensioner to be going. I did mine at about 185K.
Autostop... did you happen to do any brake light mods, like going to LEDs, or maybe have a bulb burned out?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no brake light mods. Maybe it makes sense to replace serpentine belt and the tensioner as a routing maintenance and then see if the growl disappears before I replace a water pump that may not have any issues.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
On the idle pulley replacement, you might consider replacing only the bearing. They're easy to tap out, easy to tap in, and the stock pulley itself can be a little different and better than the ones you get with replacements. Here's a link to the bearings I used when I did this, 2 NACHI bearings for $8, vs. something like $20-40 for complete idle pulley replacement. Bearing part number is 6203N, there's slight differences in the suffixes that have to do with slight differences in the design, can't remember what they all mean - it's like different type of seal, like 'double lip', stuff like that; there's a lot of other options available: FGen 2pcs Japan NACHI Nazhi Fujio 6203NSE Bearing High Speed Motor Water Pump Dedicated: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Here's a link to the post I made when I was looking into this; there's also some tidbits on belt replacements and other stuff: Installing front crank seal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts