Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my second week of ownership now with my 2001 200k mile insight. I changed the oil and filter and air filter and cleaned it up really good. It seems to consistantly get 55 mpg and its a little hilly and mostly 45 to 55 mph and we are 3000 feet above sea level, so im happy with that. I incresed the tire pressure to 40 they were all at 31 so maybee will get a little better now. The engine is a little noisy like ticking. I suspect the owner didnt have it serviced other than the oil since he lived pretty far from a dealership in Choteo Mt. I really dislike taking my cars to a shop but would like your advice on what to do. I have never adjusted valves so would concider taking it in for that. Is that what I should ask forand what is the typical charge for this service at Honda?

Thanks for all your help on the catalytic converter problem. I have decided to order the units and replace them myself in the spring.

Robert Rahn
Kalispell, Mt.
200 Insight

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
If the engine is ticking at start-up (cold) then that is normal. If the noise is still there when the engine is warmed through, then adjusting the valves is not a bad idea. HTH

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree. If the ticking goes away after the engine is warmed up I would not worry about it. However, with 200k miles it may be a good idea to have the valves adjusted. Great to hear your Insight is still getting great mileage at 200k.

Enjoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
valves

It's a good idea to have the valves checked. One mechanic who worked on Insights said that all of the ones he's checked were out of spec, surprisingly. This isn't a difficult or time consuming job-just a little bit of patience and a small gap tool are necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts