Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the links in another thread about a site that does custom seat covers, however, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with store bought ones for their Insight. Thanks in advance 8)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The Insight's style of high back bucket seat isn't too radical. A good quality generically made seat cover will fit fine. Althouth you'll have to make a choice to close (cover) or not the open hole headrest in late models. To not simply choose the style that dosen't cover that part of the seat.

I use generic sheepskin covers. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Ya I know you either love'em or hate'em. ;) But no fit problem here.

HTH ! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not mind covering the opening in the headrest. I will purchase some and see if they fit, worse case I return them! :)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
seat covers

I went that route, store bought. They lasted a year. Never did fit the countour of the Insight seats. They wrinkeled and stretched out of shape.

Last weekend I installed a set of the "Okole" wet suit types.

They are a perfect match. They have a little more padding sewn in so it will raise the siting height a little and make my "instantanious trips" more pleasant. On installation, they fit like a glove.
I know of another Insight owner who has had his installed for over 4 years and no problems.

In my opinion, they are worth the investment.
Willie

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Willie. After reading your post, maybe I should just get them and be done with it! lol. I'd rather spend the money up front than keep buying new ones. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
seat cover

I've had the same delima. I was not wanting my new seats to become worn so I figured I'd look for some generic seat covers. Guess again, the headrests are abit odd shaped. After several auto parts stores ect. I stopped in to Walmart. They had an electric seat cusion with vibrate, heat and magnets for $20. It will stop wear on my seat, and is way comfortable to sit on. I love the heat! The vibrate was also very relaxing. $20 well spent. People love my car, but they really love the seat cusions once they sit in them! :D
Russ

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
seats

Yes, because the covers are form fitted, but for an extra 10 bucks per side you can get a "zippered" mesh pouch
sewn in, measuring 11"W X 8"H. 8)

Willie

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: seat covers

Willie Williford said:
Last weekend I installed a set of the "Okole" wet suit types.

They are a perfect match. They have a little more padding sewn in so it will raise the siting height a little and make my "instantanious trips" more pleasant. On installation, they fit like a glove.
I know of another Insight owner who has had his installed for over 4 years and no problems.
I assume these install over the original seat covers?

I called and got samples of the fabric, basically thin wet suit material. Looks like it might hold up real well. Still happy with them after having them on for a little while?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
seat covers

Yes they are the slip on type, go over the old covers. Look factory installed. No complaints yet, been on only for about two weeks now.

I'll be at the INSIGHT RALLY on Sunday in Chino if you want to see them installed in an Insight.

Willie 8)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What colors did y'all pick for your Insight. I am just so close to ordering them. I have a blue Insight, blue and black??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Merigayle,
Did you ever order the Wet Okole seat covers for your Insight? I ask because I'm thinking of getting a pair for my car (which is the same color as yours) and was hoping that you might email me a picture if you ended up getting them. :) The swatches are so small that it is hard to imagine what the finished seat cover will look like -- I'm thinking of getting the blue like you were considering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had my Wet Okoles for a year and a half in my 2000. They fit perfectly, albeit after some considerable vocabulary exercise during installation, and have not required any adjustment since they went on. The hardest part is getting the cover under the rake adjust handle and the seat belt attach housing. They stank for the first couple of weeks, then the wet suit smell went away and they have been fine since. Wet Okole sells some seat cover shampoo that I thought was a shuck when I first saw it, but I have to admit that the stuff works pretty well. I found the trick is to slop it on pretty good and not worry about how wet it gets. Leave the window open overnight (garage stored) and it's dry in the morning and looks great. The only complaint I have is it can get a little sweaty between the shoulder blades, but that is also due to my cheapness, since I won't run the a/c below 90°F. They cost a ton, but I got them for my wife's car too. My brother just got them for his new blue 06 Insight (!). I did get the zipper pouch on both seats. (Usual disclaimers; don't work for Wet Okole, don't own stock, don't sell their stuff, etc.)

Here is a pic of the driver's side taken after a year of use. (I think the color change at the back/bottom is due to my old low res camera since I can't see it live.) Note the bottom of the fire extinguisher that fits between the drivers seat and the door. It's like the spot was made for it. I found a cordura bag that fits the owners manual and warranty book like it was made for them and has velcro on the back. You can see just a bit of it behind the seatbelt clip. The velcro works perfectly and the books have not moved from their spot.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rmnelson2/wetokole.jpg

[mod edit pic oversized. Please see the rules. Link to otherwise acceptable pics of the size you choose]

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Wilmington! I live not to far. :)
I love the blue ones i got, they were terrible to install, but they are great. Good tip about the shampoo. My husband was suprisingly impressed with them and now wants them for his car.
I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
merigayle,
Would you mind taking a picture of your seats and emailing it to me (or posting it here) so I could see how they turned out? Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure! Here are some links, this was the best i could do, it is about 100 degrees out and my glasses and camera were fogging up!!! lol. 8)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/ ... C00863.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/ ... C00862.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/ ... C00866.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/ ... C00861.jpg

I have a blue insight and love the blue seat covers. It was a big decision and I finally chose the navy blue. Wet Okole sends you samples. I almost got the flowered ones! lol.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Ok. Nice pics. :)

But how are they in hot high humidity that we commonly experience her back east :?:

For those of you that have only lived well west of the Mississippi river you won't understand. ;)

I've used sheepskin covers for years. Wool is one of the best for perventing perspiration build-up. But its almost time for a replacement pair. I like the Wet Okole look, but rarely choose fashion over function. Remember I bought an Insight too. ;)

Opinions please...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They can get a bit sweaty, especially if you refuse to turn the AC on, or do not even have AC in your car,lol.
If you look closely in one pic there is a towel on the floor, after I run, i sit on the towel on my way home. I know, i got seat covers and justified it because of all my running, but they are too purty to sweat on. :D
I think they look a ton nicer than the stock seats and they are really comfy. I got a pocket on the back of the passenger one since i am usually the only one in the car, i would never need the driver side one.
I am much happier than i thought i would be with them. They were a beotch to install, but that is why i have a husband, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are noticeably sweatier than the standard covers, but not a deal breaker for me. I don't really notice it until about the 50 mile point, and then only on the really hot and humid days where I am stubbornly leaving the a/c off. Balancing that, they improve the overall comfort of the seat considerably. There is a fair amount of extra padding here and there, and for me it makes all the difference.

They are also much easier to clean than stock. In a previous post I mentioned the WO shampoo, but failed to mention that it is used very dilute. I put a tablespoon in a gallon bucket of water and slop it on with a rag, then dry with a towel and air dry overnight. My experience is with substantial dog drool (in my wife's Prius backseat, no dog in the front seat of the Insight), but a co-worker reports easy cleaning of hot fudge sundae and other food products from her Prius WO covers (four kids under 15).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts