Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a 2010 LS... have filled it twice so far. Appear to be averaging around 550 km per fill up, or 6.4L/100km. Is that decent for winter, predominantly highway driving (120 km round-trip commute, 1/2 hwy, 1/2 city, avg. temp. around -15°C)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Is there a km per liter buried somewhere in that post? Something I could convert?
Edit: Ok I think this means the average is about 36.74 MPG

I'd say that that would be about right for a new hybrid driver in the winter.
Warm weather and driving style will probably improve the MPG. Do check the tire pressures. If one lives somewhere frigid once a week is not too often. (stone cold in the morning)

My wife does about the low end of spec at 38 MPG driving 70-80 on the freeway with the A/C cranked combined with short, barely warmed up trips to the gym & stores daily. 70 degrees here today.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My worst was 5.36 l/100 km. My best 3.8 l/100 km. See my fuel entries at Spritmonitor.
(my best FE by the pump was 3.3 l/100 km but it turned out the pump gauge was underreading! I found out and warned the station, but still got a lot of gas cheap. I corrected these in my log.)
As you can imagine I put some effort in keeping FE up. Most of al, moderate speed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
How fast you drive on the highway makes an enormous difference to your overall fuel economy. The I2 gets its optimum highway fuel economy at 40-50mph and if you stay at those speeds on fairly flat or gently undulating ground you can see some spectacular numbers.

I'm unwilling to drive at those speeds on 70mph roads. It's probably why I rarely hit higher mpg numbers, plus the area where I live is very hilly.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
36mpg sounds about right for winter driving on winter grade fuel. Hybrids are effected by cold weather as well as use of the heater system as a hybrid burns fuel to generate heat inaddition to make you go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gas mileage I2

My '10 has consistentantly given 39 to 42 mpg around town and in heavy stop & go traffic during the winter. Summer driving gives 43 to 45 for the same drive. Highway is 50 mpg at 65mph. I goes down a little for every mph over that ie. 47 mpg at 70mph 45 at 80.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Not bad. Keep in mind other eco mods apply to hybrids.

Little tricks such as using the sidewall psi, blocking part or the whole lower grill, lowering the vehicle, reducing space under the vehicle, reducing use of heat and ac all help to increase mpg.

The best way is to change your driving, aka adjust the nut behind the wheel so to speak. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts