Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Civic Hybrid and was able to get a OEM nose mask from Honda for it. I just bought a 2000 Insight, however I don't see the item listed as a option on the Honda site. Does anyone know where I can obtain a good quality nose mask for the Insight?

Mike G.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can any here actually swear that a car bra works? When I had a cheap car bra on my old Civic, before a wash, I would peel off the car bra and discover dirt and sand underneath it. So while it kept the bugs off, it sure wasn't keeping it clean. After a rock punctured the bra and dented the hood underneath, I've stopped using it. I've since concluded that it's more for looks than function.

Also, I would assume that the car bra would actually ruin the aerodynamics of the car. That old car bra had two "wind dam" type of protrusions from the top edge of the bra. I assume it was supposed to help keep the bra snug to the hood, keep it from flapping around. As mentioned, since dirt can still get into it, it was not only worthless, but probably ate away at my MPG.

My wife and I washed the Insight last weekend and discovered that we got a lot of chips all over the hood. The problem is that the chips are not all concentrated at the edge of the hood, but pretty much randomly distributed all over. I've went ahead and ordered a raw strip of 3M ScotchCal, and will experiment.

Charles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bra Works?

I dont think it keeps it clean. It will prevent chipping from small stones. Here in Alabama we have swarms of what we call love bugs. They plaster the front of cars and their guts are highly acidic. If not removed quickly (24 hours) they begin to eat through the clear coat and paint to the primer. I always remove the bra before I wash the car, hose off the underside and let it dry before putting it back on. I don't expect dust not to seep in under it. Your point on the aerodynamics may be valid.

Mike G.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I used to design and manufacture nose bras for cars and they really are not ment to be left on the car for extended periods of time. Dust particles trapped in the bra backing will eventually sand off your finish and do more paint damage than bug guts or rock chips. Also, moisture trapped behind the bra will cause the paint to crack from the constant temperature fluctuations from cold to hot. The best use for a car bra is on long highway trips only. I've seen many car noses needing repaint resulting from the bra being left on all of the time.

If you require everyday paint protection then the best solution is the 3M protectant films like "Rock Guard". They are clear and blend with the rest of the car much nicer. Get it professionally installed unless you are very very good at appling static type film without creating air bubbles. :wink:

If you are fixated on using a nose mask every day then buy one made with a synthetic terry backing. Terry cloth is what towels are made from (soft and easy to clean). Avoid black nose masks made with the combined black vinyl and polyester jersey type material on the back. 80% of car bras are made this way. They trap dust particles very easily and are hard to clean once they get dirt in the backing. There is a reason why most car bras only cost $50 to $100 dollars, they are made of cheap materials and are only ment to be used one in a while. Also, make sure to wax your car everytime before you put the bra on it.

BTW: I don't worry about paint chips on my Insight. It's plastic and aluminum both of which don't rust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts