Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CVT Insight “Cherry Bomb” 330K+
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
1 leak down, 2 to go! 🤦🏻‍♀️
Cleaned up the cap and put a worm clamp on- problem solved. However, there was still some major leakage. Found that the right of the two hoses on the back of the outlet was leaking. I didn’t put the clamp back in its original place, but even after adjusting it, it’s a slow seep and I’ll probably just need to replace the whole hose as it seems kinda stretched out. Would anyone by chance know the diameter and length of that?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim

The one that’s gonna be a major PITA tho (not the bread, as I believe it was Joule who said 😂) is the right of the two pipes on the front. I replaced the rubber o-rings on both of those per Bulldogs guidance, as well as cleaning up a lot of the corrosion that was there. I assume I didn’t clean it up enough, or is it possible that the rubber ring isn’t in far enough/ seated correctly?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Man, this is frustrating.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Yea looks like it didn't seat correctly? I put some white lithium grease on those o-rings before pushing them in on my rebuild. Mine gave a 'pop' feel when they slid in

Reactions: CherryBomb

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2 leaks down, 1 major leak to go.
Bull Dog rang me up and gave me some pointers. He suggested I adjust that hose, pulling it back a little since it looked like it was on too far- that did the trick.
Then for the pipe, he suggested I try and nudge it back in, also checking that the plate for the bolt wasn’t twisted or bent. It was. So, I was gently trying to tap into place with a screwdriver padded with paper towel but wasn’t really doing much. Then. Then. A certain someone came home from work and gave it a go (no padding, unbeknownst to me), and basically destroyed some things. Haha, not really but man was I mad 🙂 The plate not only got damaged, but also bent inward towards the seal and I believe ripped/ punctured it. Coolant started running out a ton (it was just a slow seep before this), and I think all that made the pipe pop out more actually.
Gas Rim Auto part Metal Nickel

Not sure the photo really shows well enough, but that plate is now actually “ripped” or “torn” off the pipe a little where it’s now pushing on the seal. Gonna need a new seal I’m assuming. Already drained the coolant and will begin the long, tedious process of removing everything again. @Bull Dog I’ll give ya a ring tomorrow 🥲

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,568 Posts
Stuff happens. Deep breath, good night’s sleep and give it another go. You are probably going to have to replace that hard pipe. Scott K may be able to supply good used unit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quick update for anyone wondering, my baby is still camped out in the garage. Gonna replace that pipe and seal. Scott’s got it on the way rn! While I was at it, went ahead and ordered new springs (front and rear) and the belly panel. I mean, might as well 😆

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
You’re going to love the new springs and the belly panel might get you about an extra 3 mpg.

When I replaced my hard coolant pipes I noticed they were a little rusty inside. I soaked them overnight in Evaporust, rinsed and dried them, all after I had spray painted them with hi-temp Rustoleum gloss black.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Operation “fix coolant leak” has been completed! 😎 Man, that old pipe got torn up, and the seal too! I don’t think that was all just Dad 🤷🏻‍♀️
Bicycle handlebar Plumbing fixture Wood Bicycle part Metal

Did the burp procedure with Dad earlier and so far so good, no detected leaks but I will give it time.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Also installed my new hatch struts and man, is that a game changer!! No more stick prop, tho he served me well for the past 5 years 🥲 Next up to install- grid charger, springs, and belly panel. I have a grid charger install question so imma start yet another thread 😬

·
Registered
329 Posts
Operation “fix coolant leak” has been completed! 😎 Man, that old pipe got torn up, and the seal too! I don’t think that was all just Dad 🤷🏻‍♀️
View attachment 97671
Did the burp procedure with Dad earlier and so far so good, no detected leaks but I will give it time.
View attachment 97670
Also installed my new hatch struts and man, is that a game changer!! No more stick prop, tho he served me well for the past 5 years 🥲 Next up to install- grid charger, springs, and belly panel. I have a grid charger install question so imma start yet another thread 😬
Damn I didn’t know the funnel I sent you shrank in transit, lmao

·
Registered
819 Posts
So... It's out running the road, again?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Bravo! I’m going to guess the install took less time this time around. I found best to fit the hard lines first, then do the hose end since if the hose length was even slightly incorrect, it caused the insertion angle of the hard pipe to be off and the fitting difficult. Sincere apologies for not mentioning this earlier. Even after securing the hard lines, fitting the hose ends wasn’t exactly easy. It is these kinds of jobs that, when completed, are incredibly satisfying, and make me realize two things: mechanics are not overpaid and I could never earn a living as a mechanic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Damn I didn’t know the funnel I sent you shrank in transit, lmao
LOL! I wanted to use that one you sent but the end was too big to fit into my hose 😂 I’ll find a use for it at some point I’m sure, just as I have for everything else you sent so far 😆

@Arbus Yessiree! So far so good. Driven around a couple times now and all seems well. Ran to Walmart first, had to pick up some celebratory beverages 😏 Still so nervous every time I drive her tho 😱🤦🏻‍♀️
Product Sleeve Font Linens Packing materials

Car Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
My Insight is cooler than your Prius 😏😂

@Joule Far less time!! Didn’t even need to look at the manual expect to see the torque pounds on a few bolts. Don’t be sorry!! Gotta learn somehow and you’ve been extremely helpful! Definitely satisfying, and well actually haha… I’ve been offered a few jobs now at a few different local mechanic shops and I can’t say I’m not considering it. 😆

·
Registered
819 Posts
I’ve been offered a few jobs now at a few different local mechanic shops and I can’t say I’m not considering it. 😆
@CherryBomb's plan to rule the world.

1.) Fix old, mostly dead Insight.
2.) Become a wrench-slinger in the process.
3.) Transform into an ace mechanic.
4.) Open a chain of auto repair shops that tells the truth to all customer, regardless of gender.
5.) Become a millionaire.
6.) Buys all the old people on InsightCentral a nice lunch.

Actually, if ANY of you younger folks could do number 4 in the list above, it would be a good thing...

• Love
21 - 35 of 35 Posts