Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Insight has developed a major gearbox fault after 67K miles. It was purchased from Honda Chiswick (London) in Feb 2003 with 11K on the clock - she was registered new in Sep 2001. Est fix cost will probably be wrong side of £1000 as box has to be stripped.

My Honda dealer has contacted Honda UK HQ about the possibility of a goodwill contribution to the cost of repair but they've declined, as its outside 3 yr warranty window, although its nowhere near the warranty allowance of 90K miles and has full main dealer service history.

I'm taking this further with Honda, partly as it was widely reported that the UK owner who recieved a complimentary new Insight last year for completing over 100K miles had his car fixed outside of warranty period. Also, as a central London driver, the amount of PR mileage Ive done is massive.

Ive driven Hondas for 7 yrs now and my partner and I were about to trade in her Ford Ka for a CR-V diesel too. If this matter cant be resolved then I wont buy Honda again.

Heartbroken, frankly :cry:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
broken

So what is the gearbox fault?

I asume the box isn't apart yet, What were the symptons.

Inquiring minds want to know........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically the problem arises as soon as there's a load on the box. With the clutch engaged there's a strong whirring sound. On the move there's a strong tapping sound in first and second which disappears in third and above. No obvious loss of performance though.

The box hasnt been stripped yet so the mechanics arent sure exactly whats broken in it. They drained the oil out and it had metal fragments in it.

Ive posted and emailed a letter to Honda Customer Relations UK. It reads quite fairly and requests a final decision from Honda. Gearboxes shouldnt fail at 67K, Honda or otherwise. Especially as its a car driven sedately for best economy.

My courtesy car is a Logo CVT. Yeah thats right, kick me when Im down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem.
If you do decide to trade it in let me know first.

I'm keen to buy another Insight in the UK, or any parts or salvage to support the rally car project.

I've looked at importing from Japan but the cars seemed too expensive when all the costs are taken into consideration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda's final 'goodwill' contribution is £100, which Ive refused. Might as well have been nothing. The dealer has been good and fought on my behalf - he's surprised that Honda couldnt at least meet the cost half-way.

Ive instructed dealer to fill the transmission with new oil and I'll drive it away tomorrow, then decide what to do.

Saw an identical one on the M25 driving home last night, LD02 plate. Put a big lump in my throat. :cry:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sulphur Man said:
Honda's final 'goodwill' contribution is £100, which Ive refused. Might as well have been nothing. The dealer has been good and fought on my behalf - he's surprised that Honda couldnt at least meet the cost half-way.
Well, why wouldn't he? He has nothing to lose--he can bill Honda for the work and get a happy customer who thinks he has "fought" for him. It's a win-win.

If he's so good, let's see if he offers to replace your tranny for just the cost of the parts in order to keep you a happy customer. It's easy to be "good" when it is a third party's money you are using.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ethicalpaul said:
Well, why wouldn't he? He has nothing to lose--he can bill Honda for the work and get a happy customer who thinks he has "fought" for him. It's a win-win.

If he's so good, let's see if he offers to replace your tranny for just the cost of the parts in order to keep you a happy customer. It's easy to be "good" when it is a third party's money you are using.
Disengaging, stripping, isolating the fault, repairing, rebuilding, and re-instating the transmission is many hours labour. If you can find any garage on the face of this earth who would do that on an out-of-warranty vehicle for just parts cost then Id like to know the colour of the sky in your world.

My beef is with with the manufacturer, not the vendor/repairer. I can accept Ive been very unlucky and should pay something but Id have liked Honda to accept that their product, in this particular case, should've been more reliable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't really expect a dealer to do that, that was sort of my point.

My point was that it is nothing for a dealer to "fight" for you, because he is risking nothing and it's costing him nothing, and in fact he has a lot to gain if he "wins" for you, so don't think he is your buddy.

In fact, out of curiosity, what did he say he did to "fight" for you? Do you know he did anything, or are you actually believing the things he tells you without any evidence?

I'm sorry if I seem combative on this topic, it's not my intent. I am just pointing out that the idea of a dealer "fighting" for you is no cause to hold the dealer in high regard. I've heard people say similar things in the past and so I've thought about it.

You can bet that the manufacturer takes such opinions from its dealers with a huge grain of salt because it knows that of course the dealer wants the manufacturer to be paying for lots of things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer made the initial suggestion and enquiries for some contribution towards repair from Honda and, when they could go no further, passed the case reference number onto me. The dealer has certainly been honest.

Annoyingly, at no point have Honda UK themselves contacted me regarding the issue - Ive done all the chasing.

The dealer itself is the smallestl branch of a four dealership group. Its a very small staff count - the people you meet in the front are the ones who also sell and fix the Hondas.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sulphur Man said:
Annoyingly, at no point have Honda UK themselves contacted me regarding the issue - Ive done all the chasing.
OK, but please find me the car manufacturer that does go out of its way to contact people who have out-of-warranty part failures. Why would they?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, maybe Im not being clear. I contacted Honda Customer Relations (UK) stating my points and asked for a final decision. I gave it 3 working days and rang them again, and they told me their decision, which had been decided sometime sooner. Honda CR seems to have an i/c communication facility but no outgoing one.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Humble suggestions (gird your loins)

Call Honda Customer Relations UK once again, and ask to speak to the gentleman (or lady) who gave you the decision not to cover your repairs (what?!? You didn't get the name? Get it now). Get the person on the phone, and in your best, most non-confrontational voice, ask him/her to reconsider. Before he/she answers, be sure to mention the following, in your own words:

"I WILL get this repair performed to my satisfaction. This is obviously a design or manufacturing flaw in this otherwise fine vehicle, of which I am exceedingly proud. However, you leave me no choice but to go over your head, to the highest levels of Honda if need be, and I will document and make increasingly public my demands for satisfaction, to the detriment of Honda's sterling reputation for quality. I am sure not too long after I achieve my goal, your superiors will call a meeting and ask you why you did not take the initiative and handle of this relatively minor situation before it escalated to the level where they had to intervene. So, here is what I suggest: I will give you 48 hours to get approval to my dealer to take care of this repair [at no charge or at the most, half price, your call]. If, within 48 hours, I do not receive a favorable decision from you, I will reduce my request in writing and forward same to both Mr. Shigeru Takagi, Chief Operating Officer for Regional Operations (Europe, the Middle & Near East and Africa), President and Director of Honda Motor Europe Ltd., and to the person ultimately responsible for quality issues with Honda, Motoatsu Shiraishi, President and Director of Honda R&D Co., Ltd., Senior Managing and Representative Director in Japan. I feel certain when they weigh the consequences of not having this minor repair handled to satisfy a loyal customer, against having a potentially embarrassing event come to light in the press, they will make the right decision." :shock:

Sit back, call back in 48 hours, and I bet you a Euro you will get some sort of accommodation. Best of luck... :lol:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sulphur Man If all else fails what about approaching some of the technical colleges for a possible rebuild with you supplying the parts.I would bet with saving on high labor costs you could come out ahead with only having to pay for parts.Colleges and schools are always looking for projects to use for educational purposes.
If it were me I would remove the gearbox first though.
This tapping sound you mention reminds of an event in my past whereby some careless person reversed into my Triumph TR3A which resulted in a chipped gear tooth.This only revealed itself when I later drove away (same sound)much to my dismay as I did'nt have the sound when I parked.I can't remember if the handbrake was on or not,it should have prevented this occuring. Has anything similar happened to you?

DGate

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dgate, no similar accident. Although I have moved recently from London to Surrey and the some of the roads around here are really poor. Poor Insight has been crashing over the holes.

I emailed 'Honest John'. the motor industry expert from the Daily Telegraph stating my case. This is his reply..

Honda has been reasonable. After all, the car is 5 years old with 67k miles. Had it been a Morris Minor it weould be on its second engine and third gearbox by now. First Insight transmission failure I have heard of, I guess
due to shards of metal in the box eventually being ground up small enough to
get into the bearings and wear them out. Always worth changing transmission
oil after the first year to help prevent this, if you can."
BoogetyBoogety, thanks for the stunning reply :eek: Might sink a glass of scotch and go for that one tomorrow! I take it from your forum name youre a Family Guy fan. Great show!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts