Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car with ~76K Miles on it. Shortly thereafter, the CEL came on. No big deal, I thought. I took it to Autozone, got the code read, came back with P0420. I did my research here, found out it was the dreaded catalytic converter code.

I called Honda of America, they told me that I was going to need to have my car diagnosed by the service dept at a dealership. My car is now out of warranty with 88K miles. Today, I took my beloved Insight into service. They assured me that it wasn't going to be more than an hours worth of labor. I requested they call me if that estimate changed. 11:20 this morning, they called me and told me my car was ready to be picked up.

I came back, expecting a $79 + tax bill, which would have been fine. I walk in, tell them I was there to pick up my car. The man behind the counter couldn't find ANY information on my car. Finally, after 10 minutes of searching around, he found the invoice / work order for my car. Off on the wrong foot already, the man tells me that my bill for the day's work is $237, for three hours worth of labor. I was now upset. He informed me that the car couldn't be released until the bill was paid, so I paid it and left.

My immediate thought was to call Honda of America, and explain what had happened and also explain the poor level of service at the dealership. Just my luck that today happens to be president's day, so they're closed. I made a few phone calls, and found out they had overcharged me, 1.5 hours too much for labor. I can deal with 1.5 hours of labor. This whole spiel has all but turned my off on taking my car to MY dealer. I might have to take it somewhere else for the actual labor, assuming Honda will foot the bill. If not, I guess I'm SOL.

Here's the rundown of the parts that need to be replaced:

Converter Kit: $1324.87
LAF Sensor: 280.83
Gasket?! : $6.07
Cover?! : $30.85
4 Bolts @ $3.74
3 Nuts @ $.44

Plus labor for repairs...

So that's $1658.90 total just for parts.

I have a case number with Honda. I really hope they cover it for me, as I don't have loads of cash lying around to pump into my car. So I need some input, what do you folks think the likelihood of getting the repairs done at Honda's expense is?

I am very unsatisfied thusfar, so I'm hoping they'll come through for me on this one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Catalytic Converters Federal law is 8 Years or 80,000 Miles

He who hesitates is lost.The Honda Federal Emissions Warranties for catalytic converters is 80,000 miles or 8 years.It's important to have things documented at /by a dealer before/as you approuch certain trip points for warranties purposes.
Honda head is off the chopping block on this one because you let the time slip by before you went to the dealer.Honda may step up and help you out,but really you let them off the hook on this one.
As far as what you were charged by the dealer/stealer,at this point in time i would but a lid on your anger and instead try to develop a good relationship with the dealer so they will try and help you out rather than label you as someone looking for something for nothing.Try not to burn the bridges behind you.
What you have from the dealer as estimate for the repair looks reasonable.Go back to the dealer and try to smooth things over,and see if together you can get Honda to step up and do the right thing,is my best advice.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just had my cat replaced at 124,000 miles. Hagerstown(Maryland) Honda didn't charge me for diagnostic labor, and the total bill was for $1120. I have never had a problem with this dealership. Possibly because they work on a lot of Insights. Recently when I was there, I saw two other Insights. I think I lucked out on choosing a dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
HappyCamper said:
Today, I took my beloved Insight into service. They assured me that it wasn't going to be more than an hours worth of labor. I requested they call me if that estimate changed. 11:20 this morning, they called me and told me my car was ready to be picked up.

I came back, expecting a $79 + tax bill, which would have been fine. I walk in, tell them I was there to pick up my car. The man behind the counter couldn't find ANY information on my car. Finally, after 10 minutes of searching around, he found the invoice / work order for my car. Off on the wrong foot already, the man tells me that my bill for the day's work is $237, for three hours worth of labor. I was now upset. He informed me that the car couldn't be released until the bill was paid, so I paid it and left.

<snip>
Reads like you need to understand auto service 101. If you didn't authorize the additional charge than you don't have to pay it (AFAIK in most states, your state law may be different). A follow-up call to the Service manager or General manager should resolve this point and be ready to name names in regard to who you dealt with on both ends.

If that proves insufficent file a dispute with the BBB (in writing) and you'll get satisfaction. To simplify your experiences in the future if you don't owe don't pay. Communicate the facts of your situation clearly to a manager and be done with it at the time in question. And while were at it since this dealership is clearly so disorganized find another.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news for me; Honda is paying for parts, I'm paying for labor. I'm happy...parts got ordered today, not sure when they'll arrive, but shouldn't be too long.

Thanks everyone for the help and input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts