Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5865051933.html

Heads up, the seller won't send higher quality pictures, but attests it's in great shape and has never been in an accident. He's not interested in providing additional details and seems like he's in a hurry to get off the phone. Based on my conversation, I know the passenger mirror is silver (the car is red), and that the person selling the car isn't the original owner (although it's still on the original owner's title). I wasn't able to figure out the relationship between original owner and seller, nor did I determine how the mirror was replaced without the car being in an accident.

Anywho, looks like a great low mileage car with an odd seller.

Edit: Woot, this is my 1000th post!

·
Premium Member
9,860 Posts
Looks like (from the dash pic) He either reset a IMA light (No bars while idleing) or replaced the 12v battery.

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Agreed, Willie... this car has IMA problems.

Update: I'd stay very far away from this one. The owner is hiding something. Here's my summary, for whomever ultimately buys the car:
1: Seller states car is one owner.
2: Seller states he's not a car dealer.
3: Seller states car has detailed records of all service from day one, but through my questioning doesn't know ANYTHING about insights. He didn't even know what the battery assist/regen meter was. It's obvious the seller isn't the original owner, although it does still check out as a one owner car... thus, I think this guy never transferred the title over, or worse yet, maybe the car is stolen (it hasn't been reported as such, but after dealing with this guy it wouldn't surprise me).
4: Seller states the vehicle has never been in a wreck, yet the passenger mirror is silver and seller won't send me any pictures of the right side. Before I found out the passenger mirror was silver, he had told me it "looked exactly the same." When I pressed him on the mirror, he said "I just haven't had time to spray paint it red yet."
5: Seller states the vehicle is in pristine condition, yet he lampoons me for proposing that a 16 year old car would be in good condition. When I point out obvious damage to the glove box (in the pictures he has posted online), he goes off on me.
6: When asked for pictures, seller states "It's dark outside. I'm not sure what you're expectations are but it's in great condition inside and out. Perfect."
7: When asked for pictures (again), seller states "The passenger side looks the same as the driver side. The interior is perfect. The seats have no stains, no rips. Perfect."
8: When asked for pictures (again), seller replies "Wow, buying 2000 year used car expecting to be in pristine condition is unheard of. But good luck in your search. And if having concerns is one thing but the reality of a car with so low miles and every service records from new from dealership available is unheard of*. So not too sure if any used car will meet your needs. If I were you stay put and good luck finding a perfect 15 year old car. I'm not hurting for money nor need to sell the car. I hate texting stupid sh!t <i.e. pictures> over a cheap used car. It's up to you to find a car worth your time, but save your time on this one. It's in perfect running condition and not in pristine condition but I can say thus: you won't find another car with the service records nor the miles*."

...*Since our communications had obviously failed, I replied with a picture of my 3" binder with service records since day one, and pointed out that I know several other people with much lower mileage vehicles and service records. My last text was "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are trying to sell this car, right? I'm trying to buy it, but I need pictures before I commit to a 12 hour round trip drive. But, it sounds like you're not interested in selling your car, so have a good day."

Anywho, be warned that this owner is shady, irritable, and is probably hiding something. Don't let the low mileage fool you; this car fails the smell test.

Updates:
9: I guess I knocked some sense into him: he's finally offered to send pictures, with the following caveats: "It's raining here and I don't have a high quality camera for your needs <what?>, but I'll send you a picture anyways of the left side*, and it will be dark by the time I get off work, too."
*Remember, he's already posted pictures of the left side, and yet here he is again refusing to send passenger side pictures. Sigh. Why do I persist? (because I want it).
Note: It won't be raining in St Louis in an hour, but he's correct that it is raining now (while he's at work).

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seller came around, sent pictures, and I bought the car. I only got a fair price considering the condition it's in:
-mechanically very strong.
-Most comfortable ride quality I've felt in any insight, but I suspect it's due to low tire pressure.
-Tires are original (!).
-Body and panels are straight and original, but lots of small scrapes. Most will buff out.
-IMA is in VERY good shape. I charged/discharged it several times on the 500 mile trip back home. Last replaced 2014... much stronger than my other car, which was last replaced in 2013.
-76,110 miles.
-All the most common issues are present on this one: broken trunk latch, leaking clutch, bad ground straps, driven on salty roads.
-All underbody panels present.
-Interior is great condition, except seats... they're in surprisingly bad shape.
-Original driver's side floor mat in 8/10 condition.
-No leaks in engine, no grinding in any gears.

Overall, got a fair price... not jumping up and down, but it is a low miles car and once I put some elbow grease into the paint and replace a dozen or so poor condition parts it'll be my new daily driver.

·
3,641 Posts
Congrats on a nice red one John!

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
Congratulations on joining the Multiple Insight Club. It's a disease!

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
You get it! There is no medication for this. I guess mine has progressed because I own three of them. And five Miatas.

Sam

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gawd, I hope buying a ZE1 isn't the beginning of another car obsession. At one point I had 3 x W124 300D Turbo Diesel Benz (2 spare cars) till I came to my senses and realised I'd never need the other two. So I sold them then bought another.

Am I in store for the same with ZE1's! :confused::p

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Gawd, I hope buying a ZE1 isn't the beginning of another car obsession. At one point I had 3 x W124 300D Turbo Diesel Benz (2 spare cars) till I came to my senses and realised I'd never need the other two. So I sold them then bought another.

Too late now, you've already started down that path. Same here, but I've had mine for 14+ years without modifications, now the #($*$& forum is giving me some really bright ideas. I can't turn it off, that modification bug!:p

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's certainly an obsession... I've got the car in the garage tearing it down to the frame to restore, even though it was in good shape to begin with:
IMG_4553.jpg
IMG_4554.jpg
IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg

I've been really stressed trying to finish up a few projects so I can focus on Linsight... this car has been a fun "relaxation" project.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts