Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've taken ownership of this little guy, I've become so defensive on the road!

- If someone cuts me off and I'm going 65 mph, I feel like saying, "Gee! What's your hurry!?"

- If someone is tailgating me in the carpool lane, I get pissed off because 1) I'm being tailgated and 2) the person behind me is usually driving alone - in a car that is definitely NOT a hybrid!

- I am actually ok with occasionally dipping below 65 mph!

- I'm disappointed that I'm only getting 73.7 mpg.

What is happening to me??? Is this common? :oops:

hehehe :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was driving a bit above the speed limit (37 in a 35) on twisty hilly roads when a pack of motorcycles decided to pass me on blind curves. What could I do but watch them fly by? The riders ahead would wave the next bike around, even though none of them could see around the curves.
Of course my turn was about 200 feet ahead so I would have been out of their way by then. The pack even blew off the stop sign :oops:
I was really angry :x but then again, what could I do? I was grateful no one spilled in front of my Insight...the bump probably would have torn off the undercarriage cover :lol:
One of my delights is pulling away at a stop sign from a tailgater who obviously thought my car had no sort of quick acceleration. They usually come back to tailgate again when I have reached the speed limit and they finally catch up.

G

·
0 Posts
psuinsight said:
I was driving a bit above the speed limit (37 in a 35) on twisty hilly roads when a pack of motorcycles decided to pass me on blind curves. What could I do but watch them fly by? The riders ahead would wave the next bike around, even though none of them could see around the curves.
Of course my turn was about 200 feet ahead so I would have been out of their way by then. The pack even blew off the stop sign.
Very sorry about that; definitely wasn't me!

Technically, riders like these are known as "squids". Natural selection will weed them out, hopefully before they reproduce and/or cause anyone else to crash.

At least they were probably getting 40-50mpg.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have owned my Insight close to two years (October 2004). My reaction to other drivers went something like this....

October-December 2004 (until I felt comfortable driving the car) = :?

December 2004-April 2005 (I learned to drive at or around the speed limit when some other drivers didn't) = :evil: (especially tailgaters)

April 2005-June 2005 (getting used to reckless drivers)= :x

June 2005-October 2005 (what's the use of getting angry???)= :roll:

October 2005-March 2006 (too busy watching rising and stabilizing gas prices to care about other drivers)= :shock:

March 2006-present = 8)

In my job I consistently see that speed kills. Yes, all too often innocent people, but those who are overly aggressive almost always end up in a car crash. I would never wish harm on anyone, no matter who they are or how they drive. However, many who wreck their cars and are seriously hurt or killed have a horrible driving record--countless speeding tickets, reckless driving convictions, and OVWI (operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated) convictions.

In my Pontiac Firebird I had two accidents. Neither one was my fault, but in both I was in front driving with all the other fast drivers. In my Insight, I have never had a remote risk of an accident. I just hang out in the right "slow" lane, cruise around 5 mph above the speed limit, and pass when needed. I learned not to get annoyed by tailgaters. It took a while and isn't always easy to do. But I learned I will eventually pass them 1 of 3 places--a traffic accident, when they stop at the gas station, or when a police officer stops them for speeding.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You are NOT alone!

I'll be on the rightmost freeway lane, with 2-3 lanes to my left before rush hour. Guess what? Daily someone gets anal and passes me on the right using the entrance/exit ramp. :evil: I'm on the verge of installing a 132-db horn that might get their attention - love for it to be a train horn, but that might cause a recal. :D

Below is a somewhat long story of someone that nearly crashed acting like a Fast & Furious stunt driver. {ahem}

On my way back from visiting Grandmom, I had a segment getting 98.9mpg over 141.9 miles before having to give up. Were it not for a big early hit on the freeway, chances would have been excellent the 100mpg mark would have been broken. Clearly my personal best (PR). Had additional excitement that Sunday evening....

It's clear to me that some drivers become hostile at hypermilers. Keep in mind that drivers always had at least one lane to my left to pass, and sometimes four. Some of the time, I'd be tailgated for as much as a mile then they would take the exit. I really got concerned when a policeman was tailing me - I got my speed up to 55mph and that was basically the end of my attempt to break 100mpg. A few drivers were tailgating me who clearly did not have an exit to make and did not want to pass - they wanted to be a pain in the butt. One of them very nearly crashed from his hostile driving.

Fast & Furious Stunt Driver Reject?
I was westbound on I635 (LBJ Freeway) at about 45mph and this sports car (seemed like an Acura, but hard to tell) did one of those patently offensive charges from the rear, abrupt slowdown and does the butt-wiggle in the process. I'm all but certain I responded with a little butt-wiggle, before I considered this idiot is probably not sober. Anyway, he was going to attempt to swerve and peel past me just inches away, but it backfired for him badly. I'm guessing he did a quarter turn to the left - enough to lose control. He swerved to the lane to the left of me, in an uncontroled slalom, swerved to the lane to the right of me - crossed three over three lanes and nearly spun out. He was frightenly close to hitting the concrete barrier on the right side of the freeway. :shock: Did he stop and give thanks to God for not crashing? No - he peeled back on the road to 60-70mph, passed me, and took the next exit(Preston). Frankly, I wished he had crashed - only the car would have been lost. The way he was driving he was putting himself and others at risk. Suprized he was not on the local news in the wreck stories....

I hope the next attempt at 100mpg will be a lot more boring. Got to remember to avoid weekend nights, too...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"n my Insight, I have never had a remote risk of an accident."

I have to disagree. The only accident I've ever been involved in (if you don't count the time I was on a bus in NYC) happened in my Insight. Me sitting in a left turn lane, half a dozen cars in front of me waiting to turn, idiot in SUV rear-ends me. His excuse? Well, the car in front of me was a big pickup, and he was looking at that and didn't even notice me :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
driving slow

I don't know. I feel guilty if I start holding up traffic. I won't go more than 10 over, but I'm learning to stay at 5. How do you get over that queasy feeling you get when EVERYONE is passing you?

G

·
0 Posts
Just ignore them all & smile to yourself.

If I travel at 80mph it only takes 4mins less to get home than if I travel at 65mph :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been involved in four collisions, but none of them had anything to do with my speed. The first one happened when some white behemoth backed into my door... from another lane.. at a stoplight.. and then, of course, drove off. I don't really have any explanation for that one. The other three were attacks from behind. One was on GA400 during rush hour; someone just cruised by, bumped into the rear, and wandered off. The other two were in the same place (exiting I285), both times by a giant SUV, and in both instances I was greeted by a woman telling someone on the phone something to the effect of "Oh gawd, I hit someone, I'll have to call you back." Ugh.

There was never anything except paint scratches (except for the door-backer-into idiot), so I didn't bother doing anything about them. The Insight is still making me quite happy; 80k miles and counting (just put a new set of Toyo Proxes T1-S tires on it and they are behaving quite well; had a little rainstorm yesterday and it felt pretty good ... for rain ... still don't like driving in rain, but I'd much rather have these, or similar, than the OEMs for it!).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In the RX-7, I was constantly being tailgated. No idea why. So I would use one of two approaches:

1. I had a switch on the dash connected to the brake lights. Without changing speed I would turn this switch on and then watch the hilarity ensue behind me.

2. When you have a modified exhaust on a rotary car, the car tends to blow flames. So if the brake light trick didn't work, I would go down a few gears, run the engine up to redline and then upshift. The result would be twin 10 foot flames from the exhaust. I don't think there is anything more effective at making a tailgater nearly soil (or perhaps actually soil?) their pants and move to a safer distance without hesitation. Tailgaters in white cars were always most amusing since the diver would be out in the driveway the next morning trying to get the black marks of her hood/bumper.

Mature? Probably not. Amusing? Damn right! And better then being rear-ended.

In the Insight, I just let off the gas. At some point the tailgater gets angry and then violently switches lanes, passes in some ridiculous way and continues on (generally to the next exit where they turn off...).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
In the RX-7, I was constantly being tailgated. No idea why. So I would use one of two approaches:

2. When you have a modified exhaust on a rotary car, the car tends to blow flames ... The result would be twin 10 foot flames from the exhaust. ... Tailgaters in white cars were always most amusing since the diver would be out in the driveway the next morning trying to get the black marks of her hood/bumper.

In the Insight, I just let off the gas. At some point the tailgater gets angry and then violently switches lanes, passes in some ridiculous way and continues on (generally to the next exit where they turn off...).
OUTSTANDING!

Fred :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: driving slow

I don't know. I feel guilty if I start holding up traffic. I won't go more than 10 over, but I'm learning to stay at 5. How do you get over that queasy feeling you get when EVERYONE is passing you?
For what it's worth ... I for one am quite content to cruise along, in the right hand lane, at fifty MPH. This morning I put a little over 24 miles on the car and at my destination I had a 74.5 MPG reading. As for the speeders who passed me and the ones I let by, on their best days, odds are they weren't getting half that.

When I'm on a two lane road and I see three or four cars in line behind me, when and where practical I will usually pull over and let 'em pass. Some may actually have a valid reason for being in such a great hurry - but most probably don't.

As for that "..queasy feeling ..." you mentioned, never had it. If the "fast runners" as I call them want to pass me, fine, let'em go. Odds are I'll see them at the next stop light anyway. As for their speeding, they are saving time but it's so insignificant and when compared to the risk of injury, damage or death (deer/animal strikes, etc) it's just not worth it - at least to my way of thinking it isn't; within reason, the slower you go the more time you have to avoid, evade and react to trouble - which at times can seem to come out of no where - real fast!

Hope this helps.

Fred :)

G

·
0 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
When you have a modified exhaust on a rotary car, the car tends to blow flames. So if the brake light trick didn't work, I would go down a few gears, run the engine up to redline and then upshift. The result would be twin 10 foot flames from the exhaust. I don't think there is anything more effective at making a tailgater nearly soil (or perhaps actually soil?) their pants and move to a safer distance without hesitation. Tailgaters in white cars were always most amusing since the diver would be out in the driveway the next morning trying to get the black marks of her hood/bumper.
Years ago on a trip to San Jose, CA I rented a Geo Metro automatic. When you floored it on a freeway onramp (which you had to do if there was any prayer of merging) the trans would hang up in next-to-top gear, it would emit a dense cloud of oil smoke, and traffic behind me would scatter. Concerned that this might indicate some deeper problem or might attract unwanted attention from the CHP, I took it back and swapped it for another Metro which smoked a bit less (it was still tremendous fun driving up curving roads above Carmel Valley, emitting a trail of smoke like a Blue Angel).

A tiny bit of oil generates a lot of smoke. Maybe something like an on-demand slight oil drip onto the exhaust could be rigged up on the Insight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get the queasy feeling dfiore mentioned because of the fact that I drive in California. All too often, you hear about those "road rage" drivers who don't hesitate to tailgate you for miles... shout obscenities at you... or even pull a gun on you while driving. One of my boyfriend's stepfather's friends (a surgeon) actually had that happen to him once. Someone pulled up next to him, pulled out a gun, and was yelling about him driving too slow. Interestingly enough, the surgeon also had a gun (unloaded, of course) in the glovebox. So he calmly took it out and pointed it right back at the other driver... and the other guy just drove off in a hurry.

I don't carry guns with me, so I don't know how I'd react in a situation like that. I can't very well drive off in a hurry, either, so yes - I get that queasy feeling when I feel as though I'm holding up traffic! Even when I'm in the far right hand lane... and going 65 mph... and people are STILL tailgating me!

On another note. I had a queasy feeling this morning when I passed up a cop on the freeway. He pulled out of the emergency lane and got right behind me, and followed me to the exit. I was sweating bullets because I thought, "OMG I'm only going 55 mph. What if he tickets me for going too slow!?" So I sped up to 65 mph. But really. That's the first time I've ever been scared of being pulled over for going too slow! hahaha

·
Registered
222 Posts
A surgeon should know better than to do that. The only thing stupider than showing a loaded gun is to show an unloaded gun. But they are both so so stupid.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Absolute agreement.
The right thing to do is to call the police and report the gun incident. Other types of road rage should also be reported along with the driver's tag number and vehicle description.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reproting the incident to police is virtually pointless, because it is your word against the other guy's. The police can do nothing unless they witness the incident.

·
Registered
466 Posts
several years ago a friend of mine was driving around houston when a bunch of guys pulled up alongside his car. they started talking sh!t, etc, and one pointed his finger at him like it was a gun. my friend picked up his hi-power (9mm) and pointed it back at the guy, who promptly drove his car full of buddies into a ditch! :badgrin:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fenrir
I must disagree about it being totally useless to report road rage or "aggressive driving"
Many State Police Departments have programs to combat road rage. An excerpt from one of the many sites about what to do when road rage is encountered is shown below.

What to do if you encounter an Aggressive Driver?

Remain calm and either pull over and call 911 or drive to a nearby venue to call the police.

Give the police as much information as possible.

Be a good witness, not a victim.
8)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts