Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil:

read up on changing my oil here, said ok, i can do this, ive done hundreds on other cars.

dropped the plastic belly pans and the left one was full of oil...

yup....oil pan already stripped out. have called the service dept @ the dealership where i purchased the car in august, they say its outta warranty(30 days)

so...i called the sales manager, he's gonna see if they will do anything for me. they changed the oil as part of their pre sale service, even put a sticker in the windshield

i drove 200 mi to get this car...im hopin they will help me out

if not im gettin it fixed locally and buyin one of those pumps.

yea im ticked

lear

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
welp as usual from what ive read here hondas standing behind their product. theyve agreed to pay for the new oil pan, ill pay the labor. not bad considering i cant prove i didnt strip it

lear

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A new oil pan won't fix the problem. It will just strip out again in a few years. The design flaw is that the stainless steel drain bolt threads into magnesium threads. Any damage to the threads and guess which part wins...

A better idea would be to install a HeliCoil in your damaged pan. That's a permanent fix.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oil Pan Drain

On your Insight there is a adapter the bolts to the oil pan that the drain plug screws into,you don't need a new pan.The parts to repair your problem is less than $20.00.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Oil Pan Drain

sorry tuna1,

Next time your under there remove the plate and look for yourself, no threads.

When the threads strip the pan has to be replaced. From my expereince a frequently removed bolt repaired with a helicoil is another limited time repair. (However, a helicoil and the below may be the cheap and permanent fix :!: )

I too have gotten "paranoid" about this issue. The Fumitomo oil drain valve is another permanent solution - same threads in the Insight as in all Honda oil pans. I also found that the recommended adapter indexed the release lever upward to a more "protected" orientation. :D

Google for it, about $30 USD.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup no threads in the plate. the helicoils temporary as well, i agree. they r great if they go somewhere you dont take the bolt in and out of. i am gonna save the old pan though, and see what some machinist friends think about puttin a steel sleeve in it.

ill have a few months to decide weather to use a drain valve or one of those pumps for my subsequent changes. anyone out there reading this, if u use the pump do u think u get most of the old oil out? do u put the tube in the dipstick hole or the filler tube? is it a PITA?

thx!

lear

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have fixed a number of things by drilling out a stripped hole and inserting either an aluminum or steel pipe plug. Then drilling and tapping the pipe plug.
Some Lenco racing transmissions have magnesium cases which I've fixed by plugging in this manner, and I've even been successful in welding them.
I put a Fram Sure-drain in my car, but it was only held in by a couple of threads, so I removed the steel plate for more thread engagement. I wonder if there might be enough threads to engage one of the drain systems with the plate removed.
You could also just drill out and tap to a larger size.
Just my 2 cents worth.
robert

·
Registered
569 Posts
learjet said:
anyone out there reading this, if u use the pump do u think u get most of the old oil out? do u put the tube in the dipstick hole or the filler tube? is it a PITA?

thx!

lear
I use a Pela 6000 pump. You put it in the dipstick hole. I believe it gets most of the oil out, although it's hard to say what percentage it actually removes. I still let the dealer change it every 3rd or 4th time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts