Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, they just *completely ignored it* in a brief story this morning on gas prices and hybrid cars. they said that Honda makes "A" hybrid (no, there are two! :evil:) and then went on to talk only about the prius. and then, had the nerve to say the prius looks different and is a fashion statement!!
I can't ever tell the prius from other cars, especially now that the Echo is more common.

so, anyone else hear this?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It sure feels funny to hear comments about the Prius that use to be the other way around when they started selling hybrid cars:

Then Prius owners dismissing the Insight: Not a real car, looks funny,...
But the Prius was: real car, looks like all others,...

and now they talk about their cars like it was an Insight:
Looks different, fashion,...

The new Prius just has the looks of the Insight. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I heard it. Didn't bat an eye. If Honda manufactured more Insights, or if Honda came out with a new version, the Insight would get more media attention. It's still the highest-mpg (by US EPA) car there is, and I still enjoy driving it every day!

·
Registered
132 Posts
NPR's Marketplace did a piece on the Prius price increase yesterday. It seems, that every time Toyota announces that they are making more Prius available in the US, the base price of the car went up. Marketplace did mention about the Insight and HCH, but expert commented that the Prius is more popular because the Insight was too weird, and HCH is too plain.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/show ... 4_mpp.html

Charles

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, at least Lisa Napolie slams Toyota for building a new plant which will make 13mpg trucks. They're not so concerned about the environment are they.

"George Jetson-esk" That's one of the best descriptions for the Insight! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Armin:

___The HAH might not be available to you or I yet but it is being built, tested, readied, and some Honda enthusiasts over at Temple of VTEC have even driven it in the JDM. I only wish I were one of them ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2z2qde06][email protected][/email:2z2qde06]

·
Registered
1 Posts
honestly, im not sure what the big deal is. I for one am excited about how well the prius is doing. i was reading this morning that theyve already sold over 30,000 prius in 2004, with an additional 22,000 on waiting list, total projected sales for 04 at over 50k. thats astoundingly good news for the future of hybrid technologies, and here in cali the buzz around the prius has been responsible for the diamond lane legislation currently being pushed through sacramento. Ive been driving an 00 insight for almost 4 years now and have only great things to say about my car, but i'm the first to admit that it doesnt fill the needs (real or percieved) of most americans. if they need a mid-sized feature rich car to get them to take notice, then so be it. the fact that NPR only mentioned the prius is a direct result of the immense popularity of that car and is just to be expected. sure id love them to mention in insight, but its old news and has more or less proven to be unpopular with the mainstream public because of its percieved compromises. Expect the next version of the insight (or imas) to react somewhat to the success of the prius. and one other thing, perhaps it is really a better strategy to build a hybrid from the ground up rather than inserting the system into an existing car. The civic hybrid is doing OK but not nearly as well as the prius despite the incredible popularity of the standard civic. the prius proves that people DO want new technology to look different, so they can make a statement about their ideals perhaps. im rambling off topic here, but the real point i want to make is that im happy the prius is doing so well, and any hybrid press should be met with enthusiasm in my opinion, whether it mentions the insight or not.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Rai Ka said:
...(NPR) Marketplace did mention about the Insight and HCH, but expert commented that the Prius is more popular because the Insight was too weird...
Some people would say that about some of NPR's bumper music and the local affiliate in Dallas. :wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rai Ka said:
Marketplace did mention about the Insight and HCH, but expert commented that the Prius is more popular because the Insight was too weird, and HCH is too plain.
I can agree with that. The Insight is too weird for the vast majority of American drivers (but not for me). And I'd much rather have a Prius than an HCH.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ethicalpaul said:
...The Insight is too weird for the vast majority of American drivers....
I prefer "unique" or even "advanced"...

You could also make a case for "responsible".

Or "good", but that would be pretentious.

:wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Holicow said:
I prefer "unique" or even "advanced"...

You could also make a case for "responsible".

Or "good", but that would be pretentious.

:wink:
Oh yeah, make no mistake! The only reason the Insight is too weird for so many American drivers is because so many American drivers are idiots. Others are too. A Swiss guy I know says hybrids are good technology, but they don't have enough horsepower. Geez.

·
Registered
408 Posts
One reason the Civic hybrid isn't doing very well might be the fact that a lot of civic buyers are young kids (like me...but not) who want something that can be massively hopped up and an automatic...hence you see so many Civic EX's and very few SI's. They really don't care about mileage that much. Toyota hit the sweet spot because they were able to make the first 5 person hybrid. Even though it doesn't get great economy, it's a people hauler and you don't have to be "in touch" with it as you do the Insight. I, myself, would never get a Prius because I don't need the space (I'm going to take the back seats out of our MINI when my parents hand it down to me) but most families can't afford to have a 2 seater just for the commute. That's one of the reasons you see one person in a 9 person SUV. The Insight drivers are a niche and Honda designed it to be like that. Honda doesn't want to sell a lot of them because they're loosing money on every last one sold but are able to get the fuel economy award year after year. Honda's now using this techology to put in their Civics, etc. This is one of the reasons that I don't think Honda will ever make an Insight 2 or a sporty version unless they sell it for over $30k to break even. Too bad, that would be a sweet car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts