Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are driving from Montreal to NYC in a few days for a day of walking around on Sunday and a U2 concert on Monday. I am still debating whether to take the Insight or the Accord. The parking situation is what bugs me the most. I don't really want to give my Insight key to a valet and have the car crammed between SUV's in a hotel parking structure. Driving an Insight, driving a Ferrari...Similar problems!!

Maybe I can find a place on the street somewhere and leave it there for a couple of days. Or there's the possibility of going to a hotel in Jersey and using public transit.

What would you do? Any Manhattan Insighters with good parking suggestions?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wouldnt do it, earlier this year I did a one day trip from Toronto to NYC in my insight, we were almost going to take my moms Lincoln LS (Thank god we didnt) drivers are crazy (YES THERE AND BACK IN LIKE 24 HOURS)

It makes driving in montreal seem like a walk in the park

Buy a plane ticket and take a cab around, honestly... not worth driving, or get a hotel in NJ and leave your car at the hotel and take a cab

·
Registered
66 Posts
NYC By Insight

Now lets not give New York City a bad rap. My Insight commutes into NYC a couple of time a week. I find that when it is parked in a garage it is usually treated with respect and deference since it is so different than most any other car. I would not park my car on the streets of Manhattan, however.

Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your from NY, that is different :) Canadians drive alot different then some of you americans!! and I would say the craziest canadian driving that i have experienced would be montreal, and Quebec city, mainly because of the weird traffic stff and small lanes, that being said i would take 5 hours rush hour in montreal over 30 minutes in NYC from a canadians prospective :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go to the Newark airport, get a motel room in that area, hop on the shuttle back to the airport, take the monorail to the train station, train to Penn Station - $14. Walk upstairs to the concert ... priceless. Have fun - Pat

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Now lets not give New York City a bad rap."

I don't think that's possible :) At least judging by my one experience, which involved a shuttle bus from LaGuardia to Grand Central Station. 10 PM on a Sunday night, when traffic should be comparatively light. Driver tries to make a left turn, crunches the side of the bus against a garbage truck. OK, accidents can happen anywhere, right?

But not what happened next. Instead of stopping to inspect the damage &c, bus driver backs up, gets a running start, and impacts the garbage truck 6 feet further down the side of the bus. And backs up and does it again! Finally gets the bus wedged so it can't move, and all the passengers pile off and decide to walk the rest of the way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Being from California I have always done NYC by subway, cab, walking...etc. All I have to say is have a great time at U2. It is an awesome concert! When I went we took the Saab.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we ended up going to NYC with our 95 Accord Wagon. We left it at a parking garage ($30 a day) close to our Manhattan hotel and it was well taken care of for the 48 hours we stayed in town. So indeed going with the Insight would have been OK too. I really enjoyed my drive though as I hadn't driven the Wagon much in the last six months, with the Insight or motorcycle always winning the trip assignments. Driving a "normal" car is kinda fun too. But even funnier is that I find myself glancing at the gauges all the time to see if I'm getting any regen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts