Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done any testing of O2 sensors available for out cars? I can't find anything with a search. I'm told spark plugs make a significant difference (hit if non stock).. I'm suspecting mine need help/replacement since cat was clogged and throwing clogged code...O2 sensor failure causes this. (as well as plug, coil, and injector failure, among other things)
The damn wires were too short to reinstall it w/o pulling wires out of plug! So "downstream o2 is inop due to that, throwing CEL and probably hitting my mpg also...
Sure runs better (and mpg) with the cat "free flowing, now, !

Link or test info anywhere? (eveb if generic d unrelated to insights directly would be MUCH appreciated:)!
THANKS!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Im not sure exactly what info your looking for. Do you mean like performance or voltage change, if working or just sluggish? Seeing as you gutted your cat, id be willing to bet you still would have the 420 code as there is no catalyst now to change upstream vs downstream readings. And yes, a inop o2 will affect mpg as the ECM reverts to a fail safe mode for that (or any) failed sensor

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
My turbo installation necessitated the complete removal of the first cat. I have an anti-fouler installed for the second O2 sensor. I've driven it over 300 miles this way and it hasn't thrown any codes. Crossing fingers.....

Sam

·
Registered
23 Posts
P0420 Error and solutions

After reaching 210K miles, my 2K Insight starting throwing the P0420 Catalyst system Below Efficiency Threshold ODBII error. After clearing it a number of times I searched the web for an economical solution. I first tried the Catalytic Converter Washing solution. I removed the Catalytic converter, soaked it for about 8 hours in a dish-washing detergent/water bath and I didn't see too much contamination. Others on the web have suggested a bath of citric acid at 265 degrees F for 8 hours. I didn't try this route but it might work for others. I then tried Cataclean purchased from Autozone for $20 and emptied in a nearly empty gas tank. Any improvement did not last long. I then tried purchasing a new PVC valve. The after market one decreased my MPGs so I removed it, soaked the original in acetone for a 24 hour period and reinstalled the original. MPGs went back to normal but I would still get an occasional P0420 error after a few hundred miles. Better than every 48 miles as was the case before. My final experiment is the tried and true O2 sensor (2nd) Spacer trick with the Doorman #42009 18mm Spark Plug Non-Fouler. I just installed this assembly last night and noticed that the car was going into Lean Burn much longer. I'm seeing Instantaneous MPGs around 75 to 120 MPG. After the tank is finished I'll report back as to my MPG for the tank. This might allow me to engage my HHO (yes I know it could be a scam) system and see if I can get even higher MPGs. The solution to this problem could very well be a new O2 sensor and I have seen plenty on the web but reports are that this is not an O2 sensor issue. I have had my ECM replaced so I doubt its that but for $5.99 + tax, the Spark Plug Non-Fouler is an inexpensive solution/work-around to this irritating problem.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Finally an answer:) (with experience)!

OK Thanks! I will try this tomorrow...I already replaced the o2, b/c it got trashed when gutting cat...(though I now doubt cat needed deleting)!
Hope others read this thread and learn from our mistakes/issues!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Thanks for posting the actual part number... got to test this out on my car.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
There is one cost effective LB O2 sensor which I have tried personally and which seems to function as well as OEM. The part is NTK 24301. It plugs in directly. In my experience, it performs just like the OEM piece.

It is probably available from a number of sources, but I got mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jime, does this replacement O2 sensor actually address/resolve the P0420 error that seems to appear on 1st Gen Insights with a few hundred thousand miles on the odometer. With my other vehicles my handy dandy ODBII reader produces an error code that signifies that it's actually a failing O2 sensor. In this case, I received no such error. And now depending on the collective knowledge of the matrix we call the Internet, I couldn't find any sources that specifically stated it was a malfunctioning or less than efficient O2 sensor.

Did you experience this problem (P0420) and did the replacement O2 sensor resolve it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts