Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a code for the upstream sensor on my '01 CVT.

I just ordered these both:

NGK 24660 Oxygen Sensor - NGK/NTK Packaging
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$104.46

NGK 24292 Oxygen Sensor - NGK/NTK Packaging
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$5.76

Also on Amazon there is an upstream sensor which according to the site will fit:

Prime Choice Auto Parts KO2064 Exact Fit Oxygen Sensor (O2 Sensor)
Sold by: Prime Choice Auto Parts
$24.99

I do not see how a $25 sensor can do the job of a $104 sensor. Anyone tried this?

My sensors will arrive next week.

Discuss. Serious answers only please. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks to Scott at Jue Motors in West Covina, CA for all the help on which O2 sensor to use for my '01 CVT. Also here are a few more part numbers for the sensor on the '01 CVT - all should be four wire, hope these are verifiable:

HONDA 36531 PHMA 51 (UPSTREAM)
HONDA 36532 PHMA 51 (DOWNSTREAM)
http://tiny.cc/HONDA-INSIGHT-EXHAUST-001 (ITEMS 16 & 17)

DENSO 234-9013 (UPSTREAM)
DENSO 234-4361 (DOWNSTREAM)
http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part/vehicle-selection

NTK24660 (UPSTREAM)
NTK24292 (DOWNSTREAM)
http://www.ngk.com/Automotive-NGK-c1411.aspx

EDIT: The package arrived last night to the Amazon locker at 7-11 (6-10-15).
Four days, pretty good.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Agreed. The primary sensor has input for correct air/fuel ratio. Difficult to believe a $25 unit would be correct. I've not tried the cheaper model.

I used a unit made by 'Walker' in my '01 cvt, also from Amazon. It's been in place for 2 years now, works great. Here's the thread I put up about it.

I would install the $104 unit and verify proper operation. Do you have an OBDIIC&C ? btw: that's a good price for a primary sensor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. The primary sensor has input for correct air/fuel ratio. Difficult to believe a $25 unit would be correct. ... install the $104 unit and verify proper operation. ... have an OBDIIC&C ? ...
I do not have an 0BDIIC&C. Good idea to get one? Also how do you verify proper operation?

Thanks for the link on the other thread. I looked up a few DENSO sensors on Amazon, it is confusing:

Amazon.com: Denso 234-4361 Oxygen Sensor (Air and Fuel Ratio Sensor): Automotive

Amazon.com: Denso 234-9013 Oxygen Sensor (Air and Fuel Ratio Sensor): Automotive

Both of these fit in the same place, both supposedly do the same thing. I don't get it. One's $190, the other is $158. The Walker 250-54005 is $148.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I don't understand the price differences. ?? I went for the Walker because of availability.

Operation can be seen on the OBD by observing the voltage outputs. Someone savy with a voltmeter might be able to to verify without the obd.

IMO, yes, very worthwhile to have the OBDIIC&C. Also compatible with the IMAC&C Peter Perkins (retepsnikrep here on IC) produces. IMAC&C is Peters' version of Mike Dabrowski's MIMA. Check out Peters' thread on Plug & Play IMAC&C. Around page 12 or so the final mods and info are published. Around page 14 or 15 is more detail.

The OBDIIC&C can monitor dozens of parameters including ima info. Also allows manipulation of soc status, and pack fan operation. Reads/clears codes, much more. I have one in each car. An invaluable tool for me to see what the car is doing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed Sensors - Big Difference

The sensors are installed, and the code is cleared.

The car runs much better now, mpg is up 5+miles. The battery assist works better now.

If you need this done, don't hesitate. It is the easiest repair ever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I need to pull my O2 sensor out and put in the manual trans one. How hard was it to get it out?
It's on top of the block basically (actually the exhaust manifold).

You may want to get the special tool to remove it, Harbor Freight is selling them for under $10:

oxygen-sensor-socket (click the link three times)

You need a flathead screwdriver to raise the locking tab on the connector as well. Also wait for the engine to cool off before you burn some skin! This YouTube video shows the operation being done:

2000 Honda Insight LAF Sensor - Plug Removal

It's similar to this location (this is a diagram from a Civic) in the attached image. But imagine three cylinders instead of four, it's highlighted in green. Also in the Insight it's close to the top of the engine compartment, more reachable than in the Civic. There is a closeup of the Insight configuration. The sensor's in green, the removal tool's in blue, the socket wrench is gray. O2-Sensor-Image-1.jpg O2-Sensor-Image-2.jpg

Here is an online diagram of the entire exhaust with red arrows pointing to them:

Good luck with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts