Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks on the Yahoo group ago someone (no idenity poster) posted about a product called Carchip. I checked out the website and ordered one. It comes with the OBD-II data recorder which is small and plugs right in. It can record up to 300 hours for the EX model but you can set the data log frequency from a min of every 5 sec to 1 min. It records a numer of parameters but the Insight doesn't have all the sensors. It always records speed from which it derives (acceleration and barking in terms of gravity, for instance acceration at .5g is considered hard acceleration). You can also choose to store 4 other parameters in addition to speed. The other parameters available in the Insight are:

Time (also shows date)
Vehicle speed: 0-255 mph
RPM: 0-????
throttle position: 0-100%
engine load: 0-100%
Intake manifold pressure: Mine ranged from 2.5 PSI to 12.5 PSI on a
short trip
Collant temp: Mine went from 167F to 199.4F on a short trip
Timing Advance: Mine went from -12.5 Deg to 29.5 Deg on a short trip
Intake Air Temp: 82.4F (I use a hotair intake)
Fuel System status: For my short trip I got three values
O (U)/C = perhaps when autostop engaged
O (U)/O = Normal
O (U)/O (SF) = Perhaps fuel cut mode
Short term fuel trim (B1) = In %
Long Term fuel Trim (B2) = In %
O2 Sensor voltage (B1S2) = In volts
O2 Sensor voltage (B1S2) = In Volts
Battery Voltage: In volts

So you choose the parameters pop the data collector in and go for a ride. After the ride you remove the data storage device and take it inside and plug it into a comm port on your computer (comes with comm port adapter, power supply abnd software). The software allows you to graph the above parameters with time, put them in a table etc...
It also records any engine trouble codes as well as allow you to reset the engine check light. It claims to work on any 96 car with OBD-II interface but remember it can only record values that are detected by the cars sensors. (For instance My wifes Windstar doesn't collect Intake manifold pressure). Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Carchip

Should have mentioned the carchip allows you to choose the units of measure for those who perfer metric. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of the cables from http://www.obd-2.com/. They don't log the data like the carchip device but hook up to a Windows computer through the serial port and show the data in the included app. This lets you get realtime information, but on the downside requires the computer to go with you on the drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rick Reece said:
A few weeks on the Yahoo group ago someone (no idenity poster) posted about a product called Carchip. I checked out the website and ordered one.
Rick,
A year ago you posted an article about the CarChip on the Insight forum, mentioned you had ordered one but I didn't see any later postings about the results of your CarChip adventure.

I could have missed it because I'm not too good at navigating these forum posts.

I'm also new to the world of the Insight, having bought a used one just a few weeks ago.

Did the CarChip work for diagnostic info? Were you able to pull any Insight specific data from it? Do you still use it? Would you have preferred a Palm OBD2 scanner or a PC one?

I do love this car, but I've never been one to let the mysteries of car insides remain mysterious for longer than I have to.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,
The post above was what can be read in the Insight. I still have the carchip and use it from time to time. It will read trouble codes although I have never had one. I have archived some engine data for comparison purposes should I suspect a engine problem.
The carchip also has some disadvantages. 1. It starts a new trip ever time the car enters autostop (minor issue). 2. Its not real time. You have to download the data into a computer then look at the readings.
I would recommend a real time OBDII tool that has its own CRT or uses that of a laptop/palm pilot etc.

As a final note I purchased a miniscanner that a Prius owner made for the Prius. It is fantastic in that it does not only the OBDII data but the IMA type data. I can see battery voltage, temp, amperage etc on the Prius. Didn't work on the Insight however. I will probably get a real time scan tool so that I can see changes as I am driving. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One advantage of the carchip if you have kids is that you can plug it in (Not easily noticed) and then see the acceleration, braking, speed data etc while your teens had the car out. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just purchased a CarChip from ebay. It works great. I really like being able to look at what is going on inside.

One problem - when my Insight goes into autostop and is not moving, the Carchip stops. (The green flashing light even stops flashing.) It no longer collects any data until I turn the car off and back on with the key. It's like it thinks the car has been turned off and is waiting for it to start again with the key. I emailed the CarChip people yesterday - so far no answer.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

How much did you guys pay for the Carchip with shipping. I was going to buy a code reader from CanadianTire at $175 cnd dollars which is a rebate price for this week only(about $128 usd)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In regards to the carchip the data is logged into a different trip for each start of the engine. No need to start with the key. I simply paste the records together in excel. I would like a real time readout however. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rick, with my CarChip, I get different trips if the autostop happens, but I keep moving, like around a turn or something, but if I stop completely, the CarChip stops logging - no new trips, no data logged, nada, no matter how long I drive, until I turn off the car and start it up again. What version of firmware is in your CarChip?

Yves - I paid $122 US from ebay.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Oups (thanks Al),

Just bought the code reader. It actually is a 'code reader'. I had no code to read therefore it had nothing to share.

I'll think about giving it back. The Carchip gives more info.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know the firmware in the carchip but I bought the first one released (preordered). In mine It logs data until autostop then creates a new trip when the car restarts. In other words if I drive around the neighborhood stopping at stop signs I will have seven trips logged for each cycle of the engine in autostop. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the latest firmware - 1.48. I'm thinking they put some sort of timeout to save power or something that is causing this. Hopefully they can correct it for me.

The good news (or bad news) is that I had a check engine light today and I had my CarChip lugged in. I won't repeat the thread detail here since I posted it under P1440 trouble code.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I emailed Carchip describing my problem with the device stopping after an extended autostop. Here is their reply:

The CarChip does not work with hybrid vehicles. Unfortunately there is no way
to resolve this.

Larry Smith
Tech Support
510-732-7814

I emailed back and said something like - well it does work - I get data - it just stops when I autostop. Can't you change the timeout or soemthing?

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been communicating with a tech guy at Carchip. He didn't understand how Honda hybrids work. He said there is no way to log data when the gas engine is off. I told him how Hondas work and that if the Carchip only logs when the gas engine is on, I can live with that. He said he would pass it up to engineering, but could not promise anything.

Anyway, Carchip does work, but stops logging if the autostop engaes for a long (10 seconds?) time. So I will keep mine. It still allows me to see how fast the car warms up and allows me to see and reset trouble codes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts