Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new OBDII scanner for my Insight and would like to know if anyone can recommend one for use with the Insight.

I've looked at few of them and it's hard to determine if they'll display Insight specific codes or not.

Can anyone recommend any or have any comments on any you've used?

Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Muftak said:
I've looked at few of them and it's hard to determine if they'll display Insight specific codes or not.
Don't think there is such a thing as Insight codes. I've got auto enginuty (sp) which is ok. Never used any other scanners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searching the forum for information on the OBDII, I thought I read there were specific codes for the IMA and battery pack for the Insight. Is this not correct?

I've read a lot of descriptions of OBDII scanners and some say they'll display GENERIC OBD codes but not manufacturer specific codes, so that's why I ask.

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Most will "pull" all Powertrain codes. The trick is getting to some manufacturer specific data that may be required (in some cases) to easily diagnose codes. Your are correct in your thinking that IMA codes may be the case of needing additional data. And codes for ABS, Air bag (SRS), etc. will not be retrievable with any aftermarket scanner for Honda AFAIK and I have extensively looked!

If you find one _PLEASE_ let the group know!!! :)

SEE:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... f40bad7837

BTW if you go too cheap you may not be able to retrieve the freeze frame data that helps in diagnosis of all codes.

HTH!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I guess an IMA code would be the sort of thing to result in illumination of the IMA dash light, and wouldn't the diagnosis be to plug into the PCU somewhere, rather than the standard OBD computer?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
It could eventually require probing of circuit branches. All makes and models.

For Honda's IMA system I don't know off the top of my head.

But in the case of advanced data for other Honda models its available through the OBDII connector. Just takes their software. e.g. evap solenoid on/off control, individual fuel trim values for each cylinder on the SULEV models, etc.

P.S. Looks like the site is having problems again. I just now tried contacting Benjamin via the Yahoo group. Maybe try PM/email yourself and do a follow-up contact?

http://www.insightcentral.net/email.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After searching and reading for what seems like forever, I've discovered this scanner...

http://www.aeswave.com/products/Product ... 0(Wireless)

It has many of the options I'd like including being able to retrieve freeze frame data and it can be used as a stand alone unit or with my Pocket PC through Bluetooth. It's a bit pricey at $375, but it seems I'll be paying at least $120 for anything worth using and the Bluetooth is just too cool!

I'm still debating, but if I do get it and if anyone is interested, I'll update on how it is.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Graham Davies designed a great scanner for the Prius. It provides info on the hybrid battery such as temps, voltage, hi/lo cells, and current draw in/out of the main battery. With the help of this data I averaged 70.8 mpg in a 01 Prius over a 515 mile distance today. Thats 157% of the EPA rating. It would be great to have a scanner that could read all the data vice just the OBDII standards.

http://www.ecrostech.com/Products/MiniScanner/Intro.htm

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___Since I would rather not use the battery at all in my Insight while on the highway, how did you use the scan tool to accomplish much higher fuel economy then normal in the 01 Prius other then driving like you normally would your Insight? In other words, I know the Prius’ generate power on the fly but how did you use the information provided to improve upon your own personal bests? Prius owners could really use that knowledge.

___One of the guys at the Miller Park Hybrid Group meet in Milwaukee today has one of the HW devices on the steering column installed. He also had (3) 120 V outlets hacked into the main battery! I heard he was making Margarita’s in a blender before the game off the 01’s pack. This was and is simply too cool for words although I didn’t see it in person :(

___Thanks in advance

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:jlmuiahm][email protected][/email:jlmuiahm]

·
Registered
652 Posts
For my commute (No battery only operation due to too high a speed) I found the % engine load, RPM, % throttle, and amperage in/out of the main battery the most useful items to keep in the main display. Keep in mind this is my first attempt. Anyway the scanner is mouinted on the steering column as Graham recommends and its a nice design (even adjusts the backlighting with a light sensor automatically). For the Prius driving for efficiency is a bit different than the Insight. Since it is an automatic with a variable gear ratio you can't shoot for a specific rpm. The % engine load however directly corelates to fuel economy. As a result I looked for a % engine load that provided a high fuel economy yet was high enough to accelerate on downhills and gradually loose speed on the uphills without the engine lowering the drive ratio. I found an engine rpm of 1300-1400 seams to be best for fuel economy. I found too good ranges. The first was a 32-36% engine load which would produce 90 mpg values on the instant bar graph at 1300-1400 rpm. In areas with hills however the engine would lower the drive ratio on hills which would drop the fuel economy as the engine rpm hit 1700-2000 depending on the hill. The better range in hilly areas was around a 45% engine load. This would give a instant value of around 75 mpg at 1300-1400 rpm. At this load however you would maintain a higher average speed and might hit 75-80 on a down slope. The kinetic energy however would allow you to crest most hills with the rpm still around 1300-1400 so you don't drop to the 25 mpg range when the engine gears down. I should mention that I took my throttle control rope out of the Insight and put it on the Prius for the trip. Interestingly enough the same % throttle did not always yield the same % engine load. (I was usually around 19-23 % throttle) but the engine load was not consistent given the same terrain.
I was thinking if we could get enough orders perhaps we could persuade Graham to build one of these scanners for the Insight. I think the amperage in/out of the battery could be very useful in determining the best fuel economy range. In other words balance the trickle charging with discharging. If I set the tension on my rope too tight the Insight will drain the battery over say 30-50 miles but if I set it just right I can cover the areas in the foothills without depleting the battery and let it charge back up on the flatter sections. Have fun, Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts