Honda Insight Forum banner

361 - 380 of 383 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,893 Posts
Searching is hopeless:mad:

I'll take a pix and post it. If the print is too small, I can forward a .jpg to you.

I don't know that a flowchart for the current version is going to fit on one page. Peter's YouTube above just covers setting parameters - which is the challenge - so seems like it would be one sheet.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 · (Edited)
The reason we have 16 parameters being continuously gathered, about 8 of which are changeable, is that the gauge is doing a lot of mandatory stuff under the hood supporting LTO/Lithium/IMAC&C/Qbatt/ and all the other functionality. :eek:

To maintain a reasonable refresh rate, and avoid delays, the parameters have to be correctly interleaved (ECM / MCM / ECM / MCM) for optimum throughput.

As we get more demanding we also want to watch non standard parameters from time to time. To make it flexible/configurable the parameter/screen position stuff has certainly evolved!!

Maybe we should take a step back, and I should just force a standard single screen and an optional secondary standard LTO/Lithium screen.

If people want the super configurable bells and whistles they can load this firmware version and configure it as they want.

If they don't they can use the hardcoded optimised display 'beginners' version!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,893 Posts
Maybe we should take a step back, and I should just force a standard single screen and an optional secondary standard LTO/Lithium screen.
;)
I think this might well be an improvement since the LTO crowd is fairly limited, but it would probably take a "poll" to find out what folks all together think ;)

I'm certainly not being very critical. It is a very powerful and innovative gauge. It's just the difficulty of the configuration/setup which bothered me. The video helped, but I don't think the entire "flowchart" was there.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If people want the super configurable bells and whistles they can load this firmware version and configure it as they want.
Can you put in a build switch to create a "hacker's build" for us, that writes the LCD command data stream to the serial port, and accepts up/down/left/right/enter as single U/D/L/R/E characters from the serial port? This would allow us to attach a Bluetooth module to the serial port, which would then allow the OBD2C&C to be put under the dash, and an Android phone provide the display and user interface.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 · (Edited)
Bluetooth/Android etc has been discussed many times before and there are a few threads already on it. Have a look for them.. Searching OBDIIC&C & bluetooth/android brings up a few.

Various people have tried to make a serially connected APP, but they always seems to fade away and never be heard of again.

Yes it would be easy to output the LCD data to the serial port.
That's pretty much how the current plx-daq Excel logging function works anyway.

If someone wants to give it a go again and start their own thread etc I'll chip in..

The OBDIIC&C can manage 128,000 baud 8,N,1 output easily with a single byte command input.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,202 Posts
I agree with @jime that initially the newest OBD2C&C parameter setup is difficult to understand. I had to ask a question or two to the thread and watch the video again before I understood. I made myself a chart and template that I include with the parameters and keep in the car. Now that I understand it’s ok to use.

I made an explanation with charts below in hope more visuals will add to Peter’s YouTube presentation (post #357) and help.

I think @*sean* suggestion is great… he’s told me before. Just wish he would implement it for the community or co-author it. I think his idea is better than having @retepsnikrep spend his time to re-do or making additional code for this when he could be working on OBD2C&C V2 instead. :)

The only drawback with the current OBD2C&C user programming is there are only 8 parameters that can be changed; 16 usable ones but only 8 different ones can be added.

I’ll write my explanation as if I’m writing a tech manual, slow and simple. I’ll start with what each column means. The spreadsheet is the one that Peter posted on # 356.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I have a simple question.
Do i need the newest firmware and what´s better in it than an older (V11_9600_010217) one? What will the new Joystick, PCB included cost? Yes, I know the old one is ru***sh!
As i`ve seen there is still no 12V circuit metering and no Intake Air Temperature metering any more. Why?

Sometimes I think, all my fellow Insight G1 co-owners have 7 pairs of eyes and 3 pair of hands to monitor all the voltages all the time. To be honest, i don´t care of all of those.
The system has to work (that´s why i got it) and let me regen if i want and give me some assist (at least whats left, and that`s not very much) if i want.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I'm reading through the manual, and there are two things that are unclear to me:
1. To have a working VTEC flag, do I need to set either Vtf or Vts as parameters?
2. The manual mentions a "clutch pressed" flag. Is this flag related to the calpod clutch switch?

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
I have a simple question.
Do i need the newest firmware and what´s better in it than an older (V11_9600_010217) one? What will the new Joystick, PCB included cost? Yes, I know the old one is ru***sh!
As i`ve seen there is still no 12V circuit metering and no Intake Air Temperature metering any more. Why?

Sometimes I think, all my fellow Insight G1 co-owners have 7 pairs of eyes and 3 pair of hands to monitor all the voltages all the time. To be honest, i don´t care of all of those.
The system has to work (that´s why i got it) and let me regen if i want and give me some assist (at least whats left, and that`s not very much) if i want.

The 010217 firmware is old, so hopefully yes the newer one is better.
You will have to look at the changes lists in the posts to see the differences.

It's probably best if you send me your OBDIIC&C, and then i can upgrade it with new firmware and an analog joystick if that is what you want. I am assuming you already have the IMAC&C slave pcb inside your MCM?

Post pictures of exactly what hardware you have...

If you want manual control added to your system and don't have IMAC&C already installed then it will cost $300 to add it including an exchange MCM. Remember the OBDIIC&C on it's own is not manual control.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
I'm reading through the manual, and there are two things that are unclear to me:
1. To have a working VTEC flag, do I need to set either Vtf or Vts as parameters?
2. The manual mentions a "clutch pressed" flag. Is this flag related to the calpod clutch switch?
1) IIRC I select the vtf flag as a display parameter. But if that doesn't seem to work try Vts.

2) The clutch flag is used internally by the gauge when operating with IMAC&C.
It does not operate like a calpod switch.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
The analog joystick can fit that unit. But you already have a micro joystick.

Do you have the IMAC&C P&P manual control slave pcb installed inside your MCM?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
The analog joystick can fit that unit. But you already have a micro joystick.
Do you have the IMAC&C P&P manual control slave pcb installed inside your MCM?
Yes i have a micro joystik but its a pain to operate. And that is a very polite way to express it...
I have a case for it and a knob in top of it but it´s still **** to operate.

I don´t know if i have the manual control slave pcb installed into my MCM because i don´t know what MCM stands for and where that MCM is.
I guess PCB stands for Printed circuit board!? :unsure:
All this abreviations make me crazy and that is why i dont read all this manuals because i get lost and i don´t have time to study 3 months to understand a line.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
The (MCM) motor control module is in the back of the car.

If you have manual control installed then inside the MCM should be a little extra circuit board.
If you didn't install it yourself, and don't know for certain, you will have to open it up and look.

I am unclear how you got this stuff. I may have forgotten.. Please remind me.
I can upgrade the OBDIIC&C with the bigger joystick if you send it back to me.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
The (MCM) motor control module is in the back of the car.
If you have manual control installed then inside the MCM should be a little extra circuit board.
If you didn't install it yourself, and don't know for certain, you will have to open it up and look.
I am unclear how you got this stuff. I may have forgotten.. Please remind me.
I can upgrade the OBDIIC&C with the bigger joystick if you send it back to me.
No, i didn´t install anything myself. We were at your place, installed the new battery and all the other gizmoz and drove back to germany. (mai 2017)
And that´s how it looks from outside. I had to open my trunk up because the built in charger didn´t work and i had to solder new wires in...

Thats my car... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1iTU1veHzD9sLxhQyjoqiA

If the upgrade with the bigger joystick is only about unscrewing and screwing some wires into the back of the ODBII C&C board i can do it myself. If you have to reprogramm something than i have to send it to you.
As you can see on the pictures abowe i have a PIC Programmer myself so maybe i can do it myself.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
OK that's a lot clearer now.. Sorry I can't remember everything and everyone.. o_O

I will have to modify your OBDIIC&C for the new joystick so please send it back to me.
Needs soldering, extra fiddly components adding and reprogramming.
I also want to test it before sending it back.

Mark the package less than $15 for customs.
If you don't have my postal address e-mail me for it.. :)

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
Whilst testing ZE101's OBDIIC&C I discovered a bug in the joystick code for the 18F2620 chip non CAN firmware.

Bizarrely the ADC port configuration on the 18F2680 (CAN) & 18F2620 (NON CAN) is subtly different... :mad:

Anyway I fixed it hopefully. (y)

So if you have a cheap analog IMAC&C joystick on your 18F2620 OBDIIC&C then try this firmware.

It's configured for US1 (1999-2004) cars..

There is already an IMAC&C joystick test option in the menu so you should be able to confirm it works.

Rename attached pdf to hex as usual..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Where can i download the parameter spreadsheet made by John?

Got it!

I´ll try to customize my display today!

EDIT 1: As i want the "Iat -> Intake air temperature" to be displayed on Screen 1 Line4 R i tryed to change that.
I played parts of peters video at least 10 times, to try to understand the logic behind the ODB2C&C and...
Now Iat is displayed but the value is "9999".
I gues i did something wrong, did i!?

Question! Is the parameter on screen1 Line4 R, parameter 7?

EDIT 2
:
I made it! :) Aftert a LONG struggle!
Now it (IAT) displays the correct value! I chose the wrong value (from the US Insight) that´s why it said 9999.
Now i plan to change another parameter but i forgot how i did the first change ... :LOL:
The new joystick is MUCH better than the old one!!!!
I don´t understand why some values have 3 digits now? :unsure: Doesn´t make any sense for me...

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
1 Posts
Love this device, just got it hooked up this past week and have been tinkering around. I love the lean burn LED indicator, and I can confirm that monitoring these readouts is addictive! I might do something different for the 5-way button controller, such as 5 dedicated buttons, or something closer to a game controller directional pad, but that's not really a huge concern. I do have a few questions though!

I noticed in the menus some options that aren't documented in the V01F manual. Is there some updated documentation for the new menu options such as "Cruise Ast Max / Cruise Reg Max / Cruise Inc Val"? My device reports V01Q. When I first got the car I entertained the idea of adding some sort of cruise control, but never followed through with it. I don't have a PIC programmer (yet) but I'm sure I can rustle one up.

Looking forward to going on a road trip with a laptop connected and taking some data logs some time in the near future! Any opinions or thoughts on what would be some interesting values to log for extended trips? I'm probably going to swap out the brake/clutch indicators for O2 sensors since I'm dubious of their condition, but I'm open to suggestions :) Also, I see the manual mentions "Please refer to the data-logging thread on the forum for more details" however it isn't linked... Is there still a dedicated thread for this topic?

FWIW - I took the .xls version of the parameter list and menu structure and put it into google sheets, tweaked the formatting a bit, added sorters/filters, highlighted the default values, etc. Maybe others would find this useful as well:

Cheers!

361 - 380 of 383 Posts