Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2821 - 2834 of 2834 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Could there not be a relay (or a circuit) which simply turns it off when the ignition is off (or to be really clever, when the ignition has been off for a chosen time-period?) This would avoid the 'parked at the airport' problem for those of us too absent-minded to unplug the connector. Basically, unplugging every time one parks up is uncomfortable, and eventually not a very good way to treat a multi-pin connector.

Best regards, Tony.
Just rewire the OBDII male connector from the OBDIIc&c gage so the 12 volt supply comes from the car switched 12 volt bus. No relays, no timer etc.

On my website I show how I modified the OBDII connector with a socket to allow this to be done. This mod does not involve changing the car OBDII connector wiring at all. It's a small 2 pin jack and socket similar to a mono earphone plug/socket.

I picked up the switched 12 volts from the DRL fuse under the dash.

Pete: Another item to [hopefully] add to the list of fixes.
Have the display back light brightness setting to be saved so it doesn't have to be reset if the 12 volts is removed from the gage.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Is it possible for the OBDIIC&C to communicate with a BCM Interceptor, do they/can they share any lines of communication? If so I was thinking it'd be nice, convenient, if the BCM Interceptor could be programmed to accept some minor parameter commands from the OBDIIC&C. The only thing I'm thinking of at this point is if I were to program a high voltage cutoff setpoint in the Interceptor that could be turned OFF and ON with the OBDIIC&C...

Oh, one other thing that comes to mind: Not sure if this is an OBDIIC&C issue, a thermistor issue, and/or something specific to the older OBDIIC&C versions (I still run 0.76), but, battery temperature reporting (at least in F degrees) often goes haywire in the ~80-86 degree F range. It seems to jump from around 80 degrees to 86 degrees often, not always in one move. I've seen this in data reported by another OBDIIC&C user a long time ago, so I know it's not specific to my unit/car... Also, something similar applies to intake air temperature: it often drops to 32F degrees for no apparent reason...

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,823
EQ1 Your first idea is very interesting and worthy of a thread of it's own. Please start one and i will add some stuff.

Re point 2 I'm not looking at bugs in older versions, if it is present in the latest available version or the new one i am working on when released then please get back to me. It may already have been fixed in a newer version than you are using.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Hi,
I just successfull updated the firmware onto hte OBD which came with my new-to-me car. Took it out to the car and fired up. Last night's fault code disappeared at the second turn-on.
But both times I turned it on I got a main screen as follows:

Bvo 269––––––Ect +60
Bam+0.0–––––8Iat +14 (sic - dunno where the 8 came from) –– f
Bte +225–––––Fin 0.85
Soc 6553.–––––Afr 14.3

The device gave similar answers with the earlier firmware.

The car has a pre-plug-and-play IMAC&C unit hard wired into the ECM I guess, there are three wires disappearing into the centre console/bottom of the dash where it meets the carpet, and a little orange circuit board, with a two-line display off-centre to the right on it, from which the (black, red, yellow) wires sprout.

I haven't yet checked to see whether the OBD is set to know there is IMAC&C. Will it need to know of such an earlier IMAC&C, or should I set it not to relate to what is there?

Best regards, Tony

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,825
OBDIIC&C does not need to be told about pre-plug and play IMAC&C and should be left off in the OBDIIC&C menu.

Re whats on the screen, your car is weird or the gauge is duff.
Have you ever had it working properly?
If not send it back for an exchange..

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,826 (Edited)
Bug hunters needed.

I'm going to post a test version of the re-written OBDIIC&C software shortly.
I'll draught some rough instructions but feel free to play around with it and report and glitches or bugs.

New features. Some things coming in the new software version are..

1] Selectable extended alternating page display allowing 8 or 16 parameters to be monitored. With adjustable page and inter parameter delay.
2] Backup and restore configuration and parameter lists.
3] Completely re-written scrolling menu system.
4] Better IMAC&C integration.
5] Skip startup OBDII code reading flag.
6] Battery fan setting remembered between drives.
7] IMAC&C Joystick Test
8] OBDIIC&C Button Test
9] Improved code performance, bugfixes and program size reduction. 5k bytes saved!
10] Skip readiness display
11] Doubled the number of obdii codes displayable on startup from 3-6
12] Confirmation reqd before changing defaults.
13] Nicer more helpful text and menus..
14] 0.5 or 4hz Logging output
15] Bluetooth output (For experimental use)
16] Force gauge to start if no comms with car for debugging. (Allows bench testing and menu access etc)
17] Better shutdown and sleep....
18] Faster Menu changes. (Gauge restart not always now required)
19] Variable current compensation mode for all current hacks between 0 and +100%
20] Splash screen disable option.
21] Car Type selection UK1/US1/US2 added back to menus. Better reliability than the previous autodetection.
22] IPU Fan test mode..

Things still not working.

The interrupt timer which provides the background counting for the Ah/wh/timer/acceleration tests etc so those aren't operational yet. It's running too fast.

Some of the DTC routines. I have gathered a lot of the data but it's a massive job to parse it all and incorporate it. The Main one the IMA DTC & Subcodes display is working, :) as are all the clear DTC routines for the various modules. EPS,ABS,SRS,MCM,TCM,ECM..

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,828 (Edited)
Testing Testing

Lots I haven't tested. Have a look round.. The menu system is very different.

The top menu line is the active item.

So scroll Up/Down to get what you want onto the top line.

To exit the menu (at the moment) you have to be back to the first line with Menu at the top.
Then Press to exit.

Once you have your chosen item on the top line.
Right allows you to change that parameter value.
Left activates that function if it's a function.
Press restores the previous value back into the item shown.

So if you fiddle with a value and mess it up just Press to restore it.

There is an easter egg (developer mode) in the Menu system can you find it?

For US cars you must use the Menu 'Car Type Flag' to select

UK1 1999-2004 = $01
US1 1999-2004 = $02
US2 2005-2006 = $04

Or the gauge won't work correctly.

Then you need to change the parameters for the appropriate defaults in the normal way.
There are now 16 default parameters for each type.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Note to self- if you plan to leave the car parked, say in an airport parking lot, for an extended period of time, disconnect the gauge from the OBD port.
I didn't drive our Insight much. This plus the small 16 aH AGM battery I installed in our Insight years ago, the tendency of the Insight's 12 V charging system to maintain the 12 V battery at a fairly low charge level, and the OBDIIC&C gauge's small parasitic load lead to the voltage of 12 V battery being too low on occasion to boot our Insight's controllers.

So instead of using the always-on +12 V pin in the OBD port to power our OBDIIC&C gauge, I ran a wire from a switched +12 V fuse in the under dash fuse panel to the gauge's OBD plug. Not only did this reduce the parasitic load but it guaranteed that the gauge would shut down when the ignition was turned off, an occasional problem that also resulted in a dead 12 V battery.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,830
Official test version.

I have edited my post two down on here to include the latest OBDIIC&C test version and the new pdf user guide.
It's taken many long days of coding work to produce this new version and the updated pdf manual.

The sleeker code should make it easier for me to add the other DTC error database modules.
I saved about 5k bytes out of 50k in the rewrite...
I still have 13k space left in the pic18F2620 memory..

Bug and test feedback reports are vital to development.

Have a good xmas..

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Lots I haven't tested. Have a look round.. The menu system is very different.

That's an understatement! :D
I have a few comments after a quick look at yesterdays firmware.

Home screen numbering:
I've done a good bit of programming using 0 instead of 1 for the start of a sequence and it's fine for programming. BUT I found it very confusing trying to keep track of what screen position the 1 to 8 line positions would be when they are numbered 0-15 while setting them. I'm sure non-programmers will be even more confused or certainly thinking why the first item is "zero".

Config menus in general:
On a quick glance it just seems that the old method of grouping the selections on different pages was easier to navigate; even if a lot of the selections are not intuitive as to what they are going to do or what setting they need to be.

Config Menu scrolling:
I also found that continuing to momentarily press/release the Up/Down 5-way switch to scroll through the config menus rather annoying. Could it be set up so if we hold the up/down knob for a second (or less) that the menu scrolls slowly by itself in that direction?

Sensitivity of knob movement and "pressing":
When testing one of the earlier versions of the firmware I removed C4 as instructed but I found the switch to be prone to double keying due to switch bounce. On the earlier version I finally installed either a 330 or 470 pfd capacitor for C4 which got rid of the problem. With this new test version I'm finding that the key bounce is sometimes present again.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,832
Thanks for that.

Home screen numbering. i will look at that.

New menus will be staying as it's much easier to code/expand and saves loads of space..
The grouping/position of the items in the menu might alter a bit.

Menu Scrolling i'll look at that..

Button function. It's designed to work without a capacitor as the standard.
If you have a capacitor the correct value is 0.1uf.
I check the buttons on all the gauges I send out they all seem to work fine here.
We are stuck with it in this hardware revision.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,833
I'll have a new available version for testing shortly.
This one now has autorepeat menu scrolling.

More importantly it also has the DTC code databases added for the EPS, SRS and ABS units..
It already has the MCM (IMA) code database so this just leaves the ECM and TCM to do. (Be several months for those as I have to do quite a lot of work on that)

Anyway the new dtc code databases now mean you can interrogate the above modules for DTC sub codes and diagnostic info just like the MCM ones.

The AH/WH timing/counting is also nearly fixed now.

Because this original thread is so huge when the new test version is ready I will start a new one titled. 'OBDIIC&C Gauge Vol2'

2821 - 2834 of 2834 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.