Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 2834 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Aside from really hoping you don't make this something I can't buy (since I'm in MN, USA :(), does it really make sense to integrate MIMA (which requires splicing into the wiring) with this gauge which interfaces only with the OBDII port?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I agree with you Right Lane Cruiser it will be a standalone plug & play OBDII based device with an optional TTL serial data output stream which can be read by MIMA or IMAC&C.

There is a lot of work ahead already unraveling the data stream no point making it more complicated.

I see the OBDIIC&C functions as.

1) Display OBDII data and DTC Codes (Scangauge/Ultragauge already do some of this)
2) Display IMA data and DTC Codes (The BCM Gauge & IMAC&C already do some of this)
3) Display SRS data and DTC Codes
4) Display ABS data and DTC Codes
5) Display EPS data and DTC Codes
6) Output a serial data stream of the decoded data for use by MIMA/IMAC&C/BLUETOOTH/ANDROID
7) Allow clearing of any/all DTC's
8} Allow control of SCS diagnostic line (IMAC&C already does this)
9) Allow control of some IMA functions and setting of Soc level

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
This is starting to look like a really handy peice of kit, to the point where I may hold off fitting the IMAC&C kit.

Don't suppose there will be a "plug interface" for the IMAC&C that I already have?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Mark. The serial interface between OBDIIC&C & IMAC&C will come much later, it won't affect the install or operation of IMAC&C at this time so you should go ahead with that. It simply means later there may be a wire between the units for the exchange of data. IMAC&C like MIMA requires physically changing ECM > MCM control signals. OBDIIC&C will never do that. There will not be a plug interface for IMAC&C.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Got my 20x4 sparkfun lcd working now and 8 parameters on display in the main loop 2 per line.

Line 1 & 2 = 4 x obd eng load, water temp, air intake temp, O2 sensor

Lines 3 & 4 = 4 x ima Bat voltage, temp, amps & soc :)

That new fancy lcd with buttons has arrived looks nice. Haven't plugged it in though.

Refreshing/processing/outputing a mixed bag of say 8-10 parameters at least 1hz looks quite achievable.

Ah Wh counting and all the other stuff will come later.
Luckily that code is quite well developed so only needs transferring across to this new project with a few tweaks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I also agree with Mike and Eli re PIC 18F series devices.

All of my experience with PICs has been on 18F devices coded using the MCC18 C compiler.

Also; I already have some PIC18F4550 and 18F4450 40pin PDIP chips lying around.

Furthermore, for PCBs, have you guys seen this: PCB board manufacturer offers special price for PCB boards | Gold Phoenix

155"^2 for $110USD, 2 layers PCB, 2 sides green solder mask, 1 side white silk screen, 1oz copper, includes shipping to North America by FedEx. I have no idea of their quality, but you sure can't beat that price.

Also check www.ezpcb.com

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Racer feel free to build something using the 18F chips, I have never used the C langauge.I prefer a more minimal approach with chips.

For Pcb's I use PCBCART, Prototype to Production PCB supplier from China I already have an account with them.

Latest video below shows 8 live parameters being displayed on the Sparkfun 20x4 lcd.
Amps calculation is not right yet but you get the idea.

Top 2 lines from OBDII :)
Bottom 2 lines from IMA :) :)

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think i have the amps calculation sorted now, the data is in a different format to the BCM gauge data stream.

I hope to try the Soc setting commands tomorrow. I need my wifes unmodified car for that. The BCM Interceptor in my own cars changes the soc data and replaces it with the fixed 19 bar value for my lithium conversions.

Thinking ahead i will need to capture data from a CVT car to cover that aspect, anyone in UK with one want to come to my house for an afternoon. A free pcb will be provided to the volunteer.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Soc setting :)

This is working so you can now change the soc at will to 8, 17 or 19 bars on the gauge whenever you want.
Useful for those with grid chargers, parallel packs etc.

No need to leave the car/bcm powered now unless you want to count Ah in.
After an overnight charge simply send the soc 19 bar command and gauge goes to 19 bars :)
No waiting for that pos recal and forced charging etc

Have a parallel pack and stuck at 3 bars with capacity remaining, simply command gauge back up to one of the above levels.

Excuse the slight delay in the video me pressing wrong buttons! This is shown being tested in my wife's standard car.

Out of curiosity I have forced it to 19 bars when it was sat at about 9 bars this morning.
This car has a set of Ron's BB cells installed and i want to see if i can provoke a neg recal or low battery voltage shut off by making the car think it has more capacity than it actually may have, so it tries to use the battery.

·
6,918 Posts
Excellent work Peter! I'll have to try this myself with the HDS. I haven't played with that option yet. Can you set it to any SoC in the HDS?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
At the moment you can only set it to the numbers in my post. Same in HDS. There may be some other values we can try directly but the ability to set 19 bars after grid charging is very useful.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Impressive! Was the engine running when you set the SoC?
To be honest i can't remember, i think it was off, i didn't think to try it with it running :? I'll try that another day. I'm going to transfer the code over to the new pic next week and carry on testing with the actual pic i'll use for the pcb version.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm most interested in setting it with the engine off, but I am curious about the behavior when it is running.

All things considered this is amazing progress in a very short period of time — Bravo!

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
The SOC setting might allow you to force charge the battery, as even when it is at a high soc you could set it low, which might mean the background charge starts without having an IMA control device or having to turn the headlights on. Not tested just a thought. I would suspect that if the battery then actually gets full during this false low soc charging a normal pos recal would occur. Might be useful. :)

I can confirm the battery fan overide control toggles as expected on my standard car and remains on when turned on. :)

The MDM fan does not however as mentioned before, and would need continual resending of the on message. So that's not that useful. Not that we are that bothered I expect as we can leave that to the MCM to control.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Please add your names to this list if you want a bare pcb. Cost $55 inc P&P

Right Lane Cruiser x 1 (Prebuilt)
MadManMostafa x 1 (Prebuilt)
Eli x 5
Calpod X 1 (prebuilt) X 1 bare
Rush x 2 with 4 line display

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Very nice work Peter.... I'm on your list!

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Custom Lcd Characters

Dustin suggested it might be a nice idea to have some custom lcd characters for this display like a little thermometer or battery to take the place of a wordy description which uses up screen real estate. This would mean we could perhaps have three parameters per line or more. A great idea.

Now i'm pretty busy with hardware and software so won't be doing any myself, but if others want to have a go at designing some and post them here then this page might be useful. Let your artistic/design skills shine.

This design tool may help

Bitmap Calculator

Go for it!!!!

41 - 60 of 2834 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
2.8K Replies
174 Participants
retepsnikrep
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing