Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is to document/discuss the modification of the OBDIIC&C device to enable it to work on the Gen1 Civic hybrid.

A first test with a standard Insight Gauge just leaves the gauge hanging at the "Waiting for OBDII port" message.

So a look at the Car OBDII Connector diagrams shows they have the same pinout. See pic's.

A subtle difference is that the MCM in the Civic is not connected to what I would call the HLine on the Insight which is. The MCM in the civic has proper two way serial comms line with the ECM unlike the Insight so comms is obviously via the ECM in this case.

It looks highly likely that all comms with MCM is done on the standard OBDII KLine.

However comms with the ABS,IMOB,SRS,EPS is done on the HLine as with the Insight. So it still requires the 5V HLine bus on pin 14 to talk to those units.

As the KLine must be OBDII compliant for a Scangauge to work then the basic ECM PGMFI data should be easy to obtain.

The OBDIIC&C software is looking for 5v on the Hline at present in order to start up, the circuit diagram indicates that it should be at 5v.

Need to capture some data to see what is happening. :roll:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
How did miss this thread? What pin is the H line? Let me k ow what I need to do and I can try it on my HCH1.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
H Line is pin 14 on the HCH1 pinout below. It's the same for the Insight though so is already wired up. Just plug it in and report back what happens please.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Plugged it I just now, only get message "waiting for OBD port" when ignition is turned off reads "OBDIIC&C Data Saved"

Moved joystick up, left or right, no response
Moved joystick down, get the IMA menu, shows battery voltage at 0 volts, none of the functions work, but all the IMA menus are present.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for that. I can't do anything now though until i get access to an HCH1 over here hopefully later this month. Probably nothing too complicated with luck ;)

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
So when I'm building, just make everything as for the I1... got it.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I'm aware, but I'm building in a week and bought knowing I'd be a guinea pig (well one for my HCH and one for my dad's Insight), so...

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I'm aware, but I'm building in a week and bought knowing I'd be a guinea pig (well one for my HCH and one for my dad's Insight), so...
I also bought 2, but I'll wait a little longer in case there are changes to the Civic.... I have 2 Insights and 1 HCH.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
6,918 Posts
The Scangauge/Ultragauge et. al. will work with all protocols - PWM, VPW, ISO, CANbus.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have now firmed up arrangements to go and gather some data from an HCH1 next wednesday/thursday. 1st priority will be data for OBDIIC&C, secondary will be listening to that comms link between ECM/MCM for my Civic IMAC&C project ;)

Between now and then I have several 12hr works shifts to do :( So not much else project wise going to get done.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gathered a huge amount of HCH1 data today to sift through. Going to get some more tomorrow. Now sitting in a bar miles from home studying it. Lots of work to do.

In the HCH1 it appears the IMA data is on the Kline rather than the Hline as with the Insight G1. Abs, eps, srs etc on Hline as per G1

The data structure is different so some software mods reqd for OBDIIC&C to work.

I'll keep you posted.

·
6,918 Posts
Interesting that it's so different, wouldn't have figured that.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Great to see some action on this front! I'm getting jealous of these other people with all that sweet, sweet data.

Gotta figure out how to data log from the serial port in Linux.

Sam

EDIT: Seems easy enough:

ttylog -b 9600 -d /dev/ttyS0 > file.txt

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Data gathered

Finished ther initial Civic HCH1 data gathering, it will be several weeks before we see a test version of OBDIIC&C for the Civic but it will be possible from first glance :)

Logged some relevant IMAC&C data as well, a combined device for the HCH1 might be possible later.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Well, if you need a firmware beta (or alpha!) tester...

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your top of my list as i don't have a civic here so it will all have to be done remotely.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
About this Discussion
224 Replies
14 Participants
honda-dave
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing