61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
794 Posts
I'm not sure what you said several post up but as I was moving my old PIC processor used w/no CANBUS in my old OBD2C&C to my new board I noticed it was also a -2680, not the -2620 I expected. So it appears as though an updated PIC -2680 can be programmed for the non CANBUS application.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
The 18F2620 & 18F2680 are from the same PIC family and covered by the same data sheet IIRC.

That's why I selected them ;)
There is a very strong chance firmware for the 2620 will run on the 2680 and vice versa.

However firmware requiring CAN functions will only work on the 2680 as it has an internal CAN module.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Long video walkthrough of LTO OBDIIC&C CAN operation, menus, settings etc.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Recap of the 256 parameters you can monitor with the OBDIIC&C.. :)

I posted a big list but have deleted it for now as it was too big!!!

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
High Cell Regen Cut test.

Shows OBDIIC&C LTO CAN cutting ECM or IMAC&C commanded regen when cell goes above 2.6V limit.

It does this for now by putting IMAC&C into (N) Neutral mode.

Note this may not be able to disable high rev static charging which may require BCM Interceptor flags to achieve.

However that's an unlikely scenario and the OBDIIC&C would be flashing and beeping at you!!

What might be easily doable is that we use the BCM Interceptor installed inside the MCM to prevent this..

How you ask?

Well we could connect the BCM Interceptor to the HLine inside the MCM, which is the same line we use to send messages from the OBDIIC&C to the IMAC&C slave pcb inside the MCM.

We give the BCM Interceptor module a unique address different from the IMAC&C Slave module.

We then send direct kill regen messages from the OBDIIC&C to the BCM Interceptor, commanding it to set the alf/rlf flags etc as and when required..

I'll look at the schematics.
That may be better than getting the IMAC&C to go into neutral as it should cover all scenarios in one swoop.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Nearly sorted controlling the BCM interceptor via the HLine and not as complicated as I thought.

Basically we have two spare output lines on the IMAC&C P&P MCM Slave module already sat inside the MCM.
These are accessible on it's ICSP programming pins 4 and 5.

These can simply be joined with two wires to the two ports on the BCM Interceptor for high/low assist/regen enable/disable on connector J3 pins 1 & 2.

We then just update the IMAC&C P&P slave software and send special messages to it from the OBDIIC&C.

It then pulls either or both of these lines to the BCM Interceptor high/low to enable/disable Alf and Rlf in the BATTSCI serial message packets. :)

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Last one for today..

OBDIIC&C LTO CAN controlling BCM Interceptor via IMAC&C P&P slave module.

Basically we send special commands to the IMAC&C P&P slave, and it pulls the BCM Interceptor assist/regen flag lines high or low.

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
All very interesting and constructive conversation from both folk.

From my testing results on the PL8, doing 8 cell segments at a time, there is very little capacity below 2V. In addition, and maybe more important, the cells of these USED LTO packs in many cases don't stay balanced very well below 2V.
Post #139 in this thread talks about some of this PL8 testing:

As you mentioned above, it is probably wise to keep to 2V minimum on discharge in non BMS mode. At such time as you can trigger assist stop on individual cell voltages, it might be appropriate to extend the lower limit a little at a time as you are doing. Even then, I don't think you will gain much capacity, because the lowest capacity cell will frequently trigger a stop by around 1.8V. The PL8 does a nice job watching individual cell voltages and it frequently triggered a discharge stop around 1.8V on the USED cells.

I may have saved some data from the PL8 showing the <2V tails of the 8 cell segment testing, but I am an "old line" guy and I have a tendency to just keep pencil notes

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Improvements to the OBDIIC&C software to allow control of Alf and Rlf flags via messages on the HLine to IMAC&C P&P and BCM Interceptor boards inside MCM.

Alf = Assist Limit Flag (Prevents any assist)
Rlf = Regen Limit Flag (Prevents any regen)

IIRC These flags have a nice soft fade in/out effect over a few seconds when toggled.
So it's not a harsh sudden cut or enable of assist or regen.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
More live Alf & Rlf flag work in the car.

Seems to be working well on short test drive for shopping.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
794 Posts
If people don't want the functionality of manually controlling assist and regen with the IMAC&C, is there a way to monitor and control the Afl & Rfl flags to protect LTO packs without the having an IMAC&C installed, assuming there is a BCM Interceptor

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
You can control the BCM Interceptor logic control inputs manually with wired switches on the dashboard if you want to set the flags yourself.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
794 Posts
Is it possible to upgrade the PIC on the BCM Interceptor to give it more capacity?

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
The OBDIIC&C 18F2680 CAN Firmware now supports CAN ID Interrogation via a new option in the menu. :)

You need to connect the LTO blocks to the CANBUS one at a time to get the id's individually as before.
It also gives you block and cell voltages for that block, the same as the Interrogator.

Once you have your BMS ID list you tell the OBDIIC&C to use them routinely by entering the ID's into the Lto ID slots in the menu.

I'm also trying a new shutdown routine to turn the gauge off with the ignition.

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
The OBDIIC&C 18F2680 CAN Firmware now supports CAN ID Interrogation via a new option in the menu. :)

You need to connect the LTO blocks to the CANBUS one at a time to get the id's individually as before.
It also gives you block and cell voltages for that block, the same as the Interrogator.
Does this make use of the Interrogator unnecessary? If so, a good move since shipping stuff around to get IDs was a bit of a PITA.

61 - 80 of 125 Posts