Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK to start us off I have just done 4 runs, 2 for each parameter (30-60mph 2nd gear and 50-70mph 5th gear), once in each direction on a local piece of straight road. I have added the results together and divided by two to get the average for that parameter.

I suggest others post their own runs in the same format as below, with photos of the gauge if possible.
If we have pics we know there has been no cheating!!

Performance Test 01/12/11

Peter's Silver Modified Car

IC User Name RetepSnikrep

30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 1 5.9 seconds
30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 2 6.2 seconds
Average 6.05 Seconds

50-70mph 5th Gear Run 1 10.7 seconds
50-70mph 5th Gear Run 2 11.5 seconds
Average 11.1 Seconds

Date Time 01/12/11 16:00
Conditions = Road Dry, Temp 10C, Light Wind, Elevation 30m, UK B391 Bridgestone OEM Tyres 50psi
Battery Type = (Lithium Lifepo4 A123 20Ah)
Battery Temp = 30C
Soc at Start = 80%
OBDIIC&C Software Version = 0.01
Engine Mods = No
IMA Mods = MCM & BCM 32% Current Hack, MCM & BCM Voltage Hack, IMAC&C & Lithium Pack fitted
Fuel Load = 1/4 tank
Driver Weight = 116kg (Optional ;))

Note I did my tests by accelerating normally upto ~ 5-10mph below the start speed, then flooring it which gives everything time to spool up before you pass the start speed for the timer.

If we had an (editable by all) google spreadsheet then it could do some graphs and we could process the data for some more stats. I'll leave that to someone else to set up. People can simply add their own figures to here and the online spreadsheet as they complete the tests.

Spreadsheet is created and here! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgpwHXS5JE6adFY2Sk1UOFF4WWxoaEpfTmhGWlFnYWc

Attachments

·
6,918 Posts
I'll try to get some runs in. :) Post your elevation too. That's important, and is the main reason why my numbers will be much worse than everyone elses, lol.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Performance Test 01/12/11.

IC User Name faxe

30 - 60mph 2nd gear = 7.5 Seconds

50 - 70mph 5th gear = 20.1 Seconds

Date Time 01/12/11 17:00
Conditions = Road wet, Temp 10C, Light Wind, Elevation 20M, Steel wheels & winter tires.
Battery Type = Standard 144V from 2007
Battery Temp = 11C
Soc = 78% (at start)
Engine Mods = No
IMA Mods = IMAC&C
Fuel Load = 1/2 Tank
Driver Weight = 85kg...

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wifes Standard Car

Performance Test 02/12/11

Wife's Blue Standard Car

IC User Name RetepSnikrep

30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 1 8.2 seconds
30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 2 8.8 seconds
Average 8.5 Seconds

50-70mph 5th Gear Run 1 23.8 seconds
50-70mph 5th Gear Run 2 23.9 seconds
Average 23.85 Seconds

Date Time 02/12/11 08:00
Conditions = Road Damp, Temp 0C, No Wind, Elevation 30m, UK B391 Bridgestone OEM Tyres 50psi
Battery Type = (Better Battery Nimh)
Battery Temp = 15C
Soc at Start = 75.1%
Engine Mods = No
IMA Mods = No
Fuel Load = 1/4 tank
Driver Weight = 116kg (Optional ;))

Note I did my tests by accelerating normally upto ~ 5-10mph below the start speed, then flooring it which gives everything time to spool up before you pass the start speed for the timer.

Considerable difference between this car and my project car! The fact the 50-70mph time in 5th gear is over twice as fast in the modified car is incredible. Shows the advantage of

1) Mima/IMAC&C to have max assist for more than the standard few seconds.
2) Current and voltage hacks for increased IMA power.

Figures might have improved slightly if battery temp has been at least 20C+ but not drastically I suspect.

Interesting John's figures even with a standard older battery are better than my wifes car with Better Battery due to fact he has IMAC&C and can have max assist for full duration of the runs.

OK Time for other owners to post some data.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
I will, just as soon as Eli and the United States Postal Service get me the pieces to put my gauge together :p

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Performance Spreadsheet

With help from my Wife I have managed to create a Google spreadsheet for logging performance tests using obdiic&c.

The spreasheet is freely editable by anyone with the below link, so please add your data on this thread and the spreadsheet directly.

I'm no expert with spreadsheets so if anyone can create better graphs/plots etc feel free.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgpwHXS5JE6adFY2Sk1UOFF4WWxoaEpfTmhGWlFnYWc

Peter

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jonny thanks for adding your figures, sounds like those are with zero assist (IMA fault) so quite ineresting in there own right as a base line IC engine performance.

·
6,918 Posts
He'll have to chime in, but you can still command assist with MIMA with a P1449 in my experience.

It's snowing here right now, but when/if it warms up a bit I'll try and get some numbers with this weak pack. Then with the BetterBattery. Should be a pretty noticeable difference. :)

·
6,918 Posts
Performance Test 12/04/11

Insight #3 - Weak Pack, Cold temps

IC User Name: Eli

30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 1 11.8 seconds
30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 2 10.7 seconds
Average 11.25 Seconds

50-70mph 5th Gear Run 1 22.8 seconds
50-70mph 5th Gear Run 2 N/A seconds
Average 22.8 Seconds

Date Time 12/04/11 3:00PM
Conditions = Road Damp, Temp -1C, No Wind, Elevation 2133m, RE92 Bridgestone OEM Tires 50psi
Battery Type = (Stock Weak Battery NiMH)
Battery Temp = 4C
SoC at Start = 78%
Engine Mods = No
IMA Mods = Yes - MIMA
Fuel Load = Full tank
Driver & Passenger Weight = 158kg (Optional)

Didn't have time to get a 2nd 50-70mph run in. Interesting though.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Jonny thanks for adding your figures, sounds like those are with zero assist (IMA fault) so quite ineresting in there own right as a base line IC engine performance.
I think the 50-70 pull is on a gradient after checking terrain data. Maybe a 15m climb?

BUT

The car still has rally mode on IMAC&C so I get the full throttle 80A or so of assist but it will drop to around 13A after only a few seconds.... :( Guess thats the pack voltage falling in on itself.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jonny please do the tests in both directions so we eliminate the gradient issue. To be consistent with the others on the spreadsheet i'm asking people to do two runs (one in each direction) for both parameters and work out the average.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Jonny please do the tests in both directions so we eliminate the gradient issue. To be consistent with the others on the spreadsheet i'm asking people to do two runs (one in each direction) for both parameters and work out the average.
Will do :grin: . I guess you need to also try getting the run to end where the run in the other direction started.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lol, Clocked a 7.7s 30-60 pull in 2nd on a downhill ramp to the highway yesterday, pulling about 480-500lbs of driver+passenger.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Performance Test 21/01/12

IC User Name Richardh

Notes: Just got the car Thursday, made no changes (except oil level) did not pump tyres, no rad block, nothing... bar half a day cleaning the interior (so far)...

30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 1 9.9 seconds
30-60mph 2nd Gear Run 2 8.8 seconds
Average 9.35 Seconds

50-70mph 5th Gear Run 1 21.9 seconds
50-70mph 5th Gear Run 2 22.3 seconds
Average 22.1 Seconds

Date Time 21/01/12 14:30
Conditions = Road Damp/Rain, Temp 16C, Gusting Wind, Elevation 139m
Michelin Enegery Savers 30psi
Battery Type = OEM 2002
Battery Temp = 35C
Soc at Start = 34.3%
OBDIIC&C Software Version = 0.02
Engine Mods = No
IMA Mods = No
Fuel Load = Full tank
Driver Weight = 118kg (Optional )
Pax Weight = 35kg

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
oh, missed that, now done...

·
Super Moderator
6,740 Posts
Trying to Test

Pardon my probable waste of someone's time, but I'm trying to do performance testing and I ran into some questions. The instructions say to set the SOC low several times to force charge. I assume we are trying to "trick" the car battery management S/W to allow us to charge the battery to 100%, whereas that S/W would ordinarily stop charge at 80%. Is that right? Is there any danger to the battery in doing this often?

I also notice that it takes several "hits" to get battery to state where no additional charging is permitted, and at that point the c&c SOC reads around 81%.

Final question, If we can force deep discharge and full charge, why again do we need grid chargers?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
16 Participants
retepsnikrep
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing