Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to start thinking seriously about upgrading the OBDIIC&C to a surface mount design that I can get built in bulk quickly and cheaply.
I'm getting low on the current pcb's so now is the time to improve it.

What features do people want or think I should have in a new design?

The basic functionality and 20x4 lcd will likely remain the same or shall we have Oled instead.
I will move from an 8bit to 4bit bus for the display so we will have more spare I/O lines.
I will try to fit it to a standard enclosure available cheaply off the shelf.

I may move to the 28 pin 18F2685 Pic which has CAN support in readiness for the Can Bus Cars.
It also has more memory etc.

Idea's etc welcome and encouraged. This is your chance to influence the design.
I make no promises to incorporate everything but it's up for comment.

The new version should be faster, thinner and available ready built once the design is settled.

Ideas I'm thinking off the top of my head include.

Oled 20x4 display.
Can Bus Support.
Bluetooth Support. (By way of add on e-bay type dongle)
5 discrete buttons instead of the 5 way joybutton thing you all love.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
You pretty much hit all the highlights for me already.

Yay discreet.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It's time to start thinking seriously about upgrading the OBDIIC&C to a surface mount design that I can get built in bulk quickly and cheaply.
I'm getting low on the current pcb's so now is the time to improve it.
[snip]

5 discrete buttons instead of the 5 way joybutton thing you all love.
Maybe use a 4-way switch with a separate push button? The switch itself works fine except for the vague push function. I finally just mounted another push switch on the bottom of my case.

Also if the new uP can put out a PWM signal use that or a ON/OFF output signal with a simple piezo beeper to reduce the cost of the noise maker. I just used a NE555 as an oscillator to drive a computer beeper.

While I would expect that this change over will take some time and the new firmware won't be compatible with the OBDIIc&c we have now, could we get the present one to read all the ECM data for the '05-'06 cars so the new OBDIIc&cII will work right off the bat please? It seems that most of what I'd like to read out doesn't work. :(

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The pwm pin on the pic is currently used to drive the lcd backlight.
But if we move to an OLED display then that will become free for a dumb piezo sounder.

Point noted re 2005-2006 cars ;)

I think if we change the switch we may as well change it completely and have 5 discrete ones in a diamond shape.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
These might be more in the software side:

SOC button or two button simultaneous sequence (ex. Push left and right diamond buttons simultaneously to activate SOC 81%)

Radiator fan flag (similar to the "V" for vtech and "f" or "F" for battery fan)

Single two color LED green and red

Autostop button or two button sequence (up and down simultaneously to activate) for the IMAC&C plug and play users.

Boost button (high/low) for current hack users.

Scs blink readout instead of counting actual blinks.

Detachable wireless screen install screen anywhere. (AAA or watch battery powered)

LCD bar options instead of numerical values for everything.

Backlight knob on front

Cvt coast button (no regen with no fuel cut)

I understand most of these are pipe dreams lol but thought I'd list them anyway.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My comments in bold.

SOC button or two button simultaneous sequence (ex. Push left and right diamond buttons simultaneously to activate SOC 81%) Probably not possible as ADC 5 button system cannot detect simultaneous presses easily. Unless you want a sixth button dedicated to it

Radiator fan flag (similar to the "V" for vtech and "f" or "F" for battery fan) Possible if space on screen.

Single two color LED green and red. I prefer separate gives more flexibility. Might use bi colour leds so we have four colours available.

Autostop button or two button sequence (up and down simultaneously to activate) for the IMAC&C plug and play users. Possible but will be longer press not simultaneous buttons.

Boost button (high/low) for current hack users. Not possible as current hack is exterior to MCM and IMAC&C P&P is inside it. The fixed 30% hack is the best anyway for practical use.

Scs blink readout instead of counting actual blinks. Possible later

Detachable wireless screen install screen anywhere. (AAA or watch battery powered) Sounds impracticable and a nuisance with battery powered screen. We will probably have BT and an app later for remote screens.

LCD bar options instead of numerical values for everything. Unlikely as uses too much code space and quite tricky to code.

Backlight knob on front. Not needed IIRC with OLED display.

Cvt coast button (no regen with no fuel cut) ? Possible later.

Keep the ideas coming I'm already working on the schematic.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Is it possible to somehow display when the AC compressor is running? I don't know if OBDII knows this.

This sounds great, Peter. Thank you from all of us!

Sam

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible to somehow display when the AC compressor is running? I don't know if OBDII knows this.
You can already select this from the ECM parameter lists!

"Acs","Air Con Switch "
"Acc","AirCon Clutch Switch"

I've never tested them though.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I don't want want to "waste" a parameter on this, but I'll give it a try to see if it works. I was thinking about something like the F or V on the right side.

sam

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a means to monitor transmission temperature ?
Not normally as it isn't monitored by the car and it has no temp sensing in/on the transmission.

However you could add a Melexsis infra red sensor or a contact I2C temp sensor and use the expansion port on the OBDIIC&C to speak with it. Been discussed before. Code is already in the software for the Melxsis sensor via the expansion port.

I don't want want to "waste" a parameter on this, but I'll give it a try to see if it works. I was thinking about something like the F or V on the right side.
I see you want a flag rather than a parameter. An "A" might be better for Air Con.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I wouldn't mind a photocell input for auto adjusting the screen backlight for day/night driving.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's fluff Sam :p

I think that might be trickier than it looks with headlights etc coming the other way confusing it.

If we go with a Winstar OLED display then it does not have any brightness control anyway asfaik. But is much nicer with great viewing angles.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pic Decision.

I'm going with the 40 pin 18F4685 for this upgrade which will give us more flexibility.
It's going to be quite a powerful device so extra inputs will be useful.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
An option for a REALLY long cable, like 1-2m from the board to the screen would be nice. I would love to mount the board itself down by the cigarette lighter behind the dash, but have the display poking up on the dash somewhere.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Sam I have added a light detector to the pcb ;)

Balto you could try a longer display cable but it would need to be a 16 way ribbon cable.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
OK Sam I have added a light detector to the pcb ;)

Balto you could try a longer display cable but it would need to be a 16 way ribbon cable.
Awesome.

What about a third LED to indicate when the radiator fans kick on? Maybe a blue LED? I know this sounds silly, but hey, input is input.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Quick Summary

The original OBDIIC&C design is nearly four years old now how time flies.

The new pic for this upgrade is the 18F2685 40 pin device.

Changes to the board so far include.

1) We now have 4 separate Leds Red, Green, Yellow, Blue.
2) We have a 4 pin BT dongle connector.
3) We have a 2 pin IMAC&C P&P button connector. (I modified the IMAC&C buttons some more, so we now have 5 discrete buttons on the little extension board, and it uses the ADC input method to save wires/inputs. It cannot detect simultaneous presses.)
4) For the main OBDIIC&C control we also have 5 discrete buttons, but with individual inputs into the pic instead of the 5 way switch ADC method. This means it can detect simultaneous presses etc.
5) We have an onboard MCP2561 CAN transceiver for the CAN BUS Cars
6) We now have an expanded 5pin instead of 4 pin I2C connector for external temp sensors or other I2C devices.
7) We have the picaxe hardware uart serial logging port.
8) We have the onboard light detector for possible auto dimming display.
9) We have both OLED and LCD 20x4 display support inc pwm dimming for the LCD backlight.
Note 20x4 OLED and LCD displays are similar size shape, but are not exactly the same, so any box designed for one will not fit the other properly and vice versa. We need to choose one or the other really. :?
10) We have pwm drive for the dumb piezo making that cheaper.
11) We had one spare I/O on the pic which I have routed to the OBDII Plug Pin1 this may be useful later for CAN car IMAC&C.
12) We have an on/off switch in the main 12v power line for total gauge shutdown.

Lots of tweaks to the general circuit and values/parts for better consistency/performance.

The schematic will be published when finished. :)

Now looking for ideas for the boxes again?
Should we revisit the 3d printed ones and modify them for this new board?
Should we try to source a custom laser cut box? We did before IIRC.
My time would be better spent on programming etc so if others can help with this that would be great.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The IMAC&C add on ADC 5 button switch matrix for this new version of OBDIIC&C looks like the below.

This extends the functionality and makes forced stop/start easy as you can assign buttons to those specific tasks.

We ought to think about membrane keypads as well. Ideas welcome.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 104 Posts