Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This version superceded by hyperlink #15
This thread is to provide a list of typical values of the ECM(US) variables on the OBDII C&C gauge. Hopefully the list will prove valuable for trouble shooting purposes. I will edit this thread from time to time in the hopes of keeping it concise and on topic topic. (If I delete your post, please pick a relevant thread or start a new thread.) Feel free to populate the list with you own measurements. Only list typical values for smooth running cars, warmed up, with no CEL or IMA lights lit. I have left out the variables which have little relevance to troubleshooting.

Typical OBDII C&C ECM(US) Values:
Brake Switch(Brf)=
Starter Switch(Stf)=
Vtec Oil Switch(Vtf)=
Vtec Solenoid Status(Vts)= 0 Vtec off, 1 Vtec on. (kinda obvious and there are other binary values I think ;))
Air Cond Switch(Acs)=
Imoblizer Run/Ban(Imo)=
MIL Light On Off(Mil)=
Clutch Switch(Clf)=
Neutral Switch(Nef)=
SCS Open or Shorted(Scs)=
Main Fuel Pump Relay(Fpf)=
DCDC Control Status(Dcf)=
IMA Standby((Ims)=
Starter Control(Stc)=
Idle Stop Control(Ids)=
Radiator Fan Status(Rfs)=
Engine Coolant Temp(Ect)=187-212F
Engine Air Intake Temp(Iat)=Highly variable depending on climate and season
MAP Pressure Kpa(Map)=stopped 101>102, idle 31>37, hard accel. .99>1.01, cruise 55>80, LB 48-85, trailing 24>25
BAR Pressure Kpa(Bar)=
Throttle Position %(Tps)=
1st O2 Sensor Cur ma(Ofc)=stopped 10.4, idle 0, accel 1.6, cruise 0, LB -1.6 > -2.0, deaccel. -5.6
12V Battery Voltage(12v)=
Soc Voltage 0-5V(Sov)=
Electronic Load Amps(Eld)=
EGR Valve Feedback(Egr)=Idle 1.02, Accel 1.02, cruise 1.02 > 2.00, LB 1.02, deaccel 1.02
Short Term Fuel Trim(Stf)=Idle .09, Accel, .09>1.00, Cruise .09>1.00, LB .09>1.00, trailing .09, deaccel .09
Long Term Fuel Trim(Ltf)=(Current test car displays XXX, Current ECM version provides no readout)
Fuel Injector ms(Fin)=CVT(non LB)< .6 = 1 L/100 km, .35-.45 = 1/2 L/100km:MT stopped .00, idle .78>.84, hard accel 3.8>4.0, cruise 2>4.5, LB 1.00>1.15, trailing 0.0
Spark Advance Degree(Spk)=stopped .00, idle 12, hard accel. 0>19.5,cruise 20>30, LB 31.0, trailing 14>16
Knock Retard Degrees(Knk)=
Idle Air Control Vlv(Iac)=
Air Fuel Ratio(Afr)= normal cruise 13.7 >14.3, MT LB 22.4 > 21.8
Evap Purge Control(Evp)=
Evap Bypass Solenoid(Evs)=
Fuel Tank Pressure(Ftp)=
MIL Lamp Status 2(Mis)=
Fuel System Status(Fue)=
Engine Load(Lod)= 0-100% non-LB,up to approx. 92% and unstable in LB
2nd O2 Sensor Vlts(O2v)=stopped 0, idle .08, accel. .08, cruise .07, LB 0, deaccel. 0
2nd O2 Sensor Heater(o2h)=
IMA Motor Torque Nm(Itq)=
Brake Boost Pressure(Bbp)=
Engine Torque(Etq)=
IMA Request =/-9.9kw(Ikw)=
Reversing Light(Rev)=

·
Administrator
12,616 Posts
Ecm Pdf

The attached pdf gives a brief description and values that might be expected from each ECM parameter.
I'll leave someone else to move the relevant info to the first post if reqd.
The data is relevant to the G1 Insight all variants and the Hch1 Civic.

I have the same info available for the IMA data as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have the same info available for the IMA data as well.
Veelly interesting. (Line from TV program "Laff In".)

Please post the IMA data. TNX.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Veelly interesting. (Line from TV program "Laff In".)

Please post the IMA data. TNX.
My thinking was to have separate threads for IMA and ECM data so that searches might be easier. Have to look at Peter's post below to see if the entire effort is perhaps misplaced;)

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The attached pdf gives a brief description and values that might be expected from each ECM parameter.
It is a technically fascinating document. I am still studying it. My first reaction is that it shows the range of the variables, but does not necessarily, in all cases, show what the "typical" value might be on the gauge. The two fuel trims for example. The "typical" engine coolant temperature for another.

Where does the document originate? First time I think I have seen it, but then I may have slept through that part;)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This thread is to provide a list of typical values of the ECM(US) variables on the OBDII C&C gauge. Hopefully the list will prove valuable for trouble shooting purposes. I will edit this thread from time to time in the hopes of keeping it concise and on topic topic. (If I delete your post, please pick a relevant thread or start a new thread.) Feel free to populate the list with you own measurements. Only list typical values for smooth running cars, with no CEL or IMA lights lit. I have left out the variables which have little relevance to troubleshooting.

Brake Switch(Brf)=
Starter Switch(Stf)=
Vtec Oil Switch(Vtf)=
Vtec Solenoid Status(Vts)=
Air Cond Switch(Acs)=
Imoblizer Run/Ban(Imo)=
MIL Light On Off(Mil)=
Clutch Switch(Clf)=
Neutral Switch(Nef)=
IMA Standby((Ims)=
Starter Control(Stc)=
Idle Stop Control(Ids)=
MAP Pressure Kpa(Map)=
BAR Pressure Kpa(Bar)=
1st O2 Sensor Cur ma(Ofc)=
12V Battery Voltage(12v)=
Soc Voltage 0-5V(Sov)=
EGR Valve Feedback(Egr)=
Short Term Fuel Trim(Stf)=Approx. 1.00 normal, approx .09 @ deceleration fuel cut-off
Long Term Fuel Trim(Ltf)=
Fuel Injector ms(Fin)=CVT(non LB)< .6 = 1 L/100 km, .35-.45 = 1/2 L/100km
Spark Advance Degree(Spk)=
Knock Retard Degrees(Knk)=
Idle Air Control Vlv(Iac)=
Air Fuel Ratio(Afr)=
Evap Purge Control(Evp)=
Fuel Tank Pressure(Ftp)=
MIL Lamp Status 2(Mis)=
Fuel System Status(Fue)=
Engine Load(Lod)= 0-100% non-LB, approx. 92% and unstable in LB
2nd O2 Sensor Vlts(O2v)=
Engine Torque(Etq)=
Reversing Light(Rev)=
Fin update by Mountain driver (CVT non-LB), Fin is my guide for the fcd. Values are approximate.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For those who have data to add to the list, do a "copy" of the original msg, then paste it into your reply. That way, we avoid the "quote" framing. I'll do some editing later on to get everything looking good:)

·
Administrator
12,616 Posts
The data originates from a tool which provides that brief text description for every parameter.
I collated all the descriptions into a single document.
It's the first time I have posted it IIRC.

Here are the MCM (IMA) and TCM (CVT) files.

As you say Range might have been a better word than Value ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
For those who have data to add to the list, do a "copy" of the original msg, then paste it into your reply. That way, we avoid the "quote" framing. I'll do some editing later on to get everything looking good:)
My goof up Jim. I'm a living dinosaur with computer stuff. The evidence is above.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Additional data added to the basic document (post 1). For now I'm not going to concentrate on the variables which are pretty obviously binary. I'll concentrate on the variables which seem to have true analog variability. Input by others welcome :)

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Additional data added to Post 1. ( My current ECM version provided no data (i.e. XXX) for long term fuel trim.) I could really use come review and comment on this entire effort, IF this is considered a worthwhile effort. Perhaps the OBDII C&C is not viewed as useful for troubleshooting. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking so :(

I don't want to invest more time if it is indeed a waste of time!

·
Administrator
12,616 Posts
I think it's useful, but you can find that feedback is limited from members which is frustrating.

About 5% of people on here do stuff and get involved, the next 25% lurk but don't reply much, the rest just visit sporadically when they have a problem.

I think anyone who has an OBDIIC&C knows how useful it is, so it's not that which is the problem, it's people's lack of time and/or willingness to get involved/help.

I'll be moving house next week so will be much less involved for a while.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be moving house next week so will be much less involved for a while.
Congratulations on getting into your new Casa. At least you won't have to shop for new furniture and household furnishings this time. It is an exciting time!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks Jim for starting the thread. Thanks Peter for providing the definitions and explanations of how the devices work. It really helps a novice like myself understand the the electronical aspects of modern car operations.

Once I have a better grasp of how the OBDC&C works, I'll try and contribute.

As for the 5%-25% comment, forums can be tough crowds. I'm trying to contribute where I can, but a lot of this stuff is way over my head. I spend a lot of time reading posts, but given that a lot of the informations are opinions, I end up becoming more confused than when I started. If I ask a noobie question, I get ignored because it's a noobie question.

One of the first things I did in the setup of my device was to change it to the US settings. I've finally been around long enough to have seen that question enough to know the answer :)

Enough with the Threadjack. Back to business at hand.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
New Values Added.

This is now the operable version. Contains updates and corrections of #1
This thread is to provide a list of typical values of the ECM(US) variables on the OBDII C&C gauge. Hopefully the list will prove valuable for trouble shooting purposes. I will edit this thread from time to time in the hopes of keeping it concise and on topic topic. (If I delete your post, please pick a relevant thread or start a new thread.) Feel free post your own measurements. It is only with thorough review and cross checking that the data will gain credibility. Only list typical values for smooth running cars, warmed up, with no CEL or IMA lights lit. My test are performed in hot weather running placard tire pressures. I have left out the variables which have little relevance to troubleshooting.

Some variables, as reflected by large ranges, are highly variable depending on engine load, and LB. I have attempeted to capture what seemed to me to be the full operating range, but there may be small extensions of the values of some variables. Comparisons are welcome :)

Brake Switch(Brf)=

Starter Switch(Stf)=

Vtec Oil Switch(Vtf)=

Vtec Solenoid Status(Vts)= 0 Vtec off, 1 Vtec on. (kinda obvious and there are other binary values I think )

Air Cond Switch(Acs)=

Imoblizer Run/Ban(Imo)=

MIL Light On Off(Mil)=

Clutch Switch(Clf)=

Neutral Switch(Nef)=

IMA Standby((Ims)=

Starter Control(Stc)=

Idle Stop Control(Ids)=

MAP Pressure Kpa(Map)=stopped 101>102, idle 31>37, hard accel. .99>1.01, cruise 55>80, LB 48-85, trailing 24>25

BAR Pressure Kpa(Bar)=

1st O2 Sensor Cur ma(Ofc)=stopped 10.4, idle 0, accel 1.6, cruise 0, LB -1.6 > -2.0, deaccel. -5.6

12V Battery Voltage(12v)=variable from 11.5 to 14.1 (olrowdy1)

Soc Voltage 0-5V(Sov)=

EGR Valve Feedback(Egr)=Idle 1.02, Accel 1.02, cruise 1.02 > 2.00, LB 1.02, deaccel 1.02

Short Term Fuel Trim(Stf)=Idle .09, Accel, .09>1.00, Cruise .09>1.00, LB .09>1.00, trailing .09, deaccel .09

Long Term Fuel Trim(Ltf)=(Current test car displays XXX, Current ECM version provides no readout)

Fuel Injector ms(Fin)=CVT(non LB)< .6 = 1 L/100 km, .35-.45 = 1/2 L/100km(Mountain driver):MT stopped .00, idle .78>.84, hard accel 3.8>4.0, cruise 2>4.5, LB 1.00>1.15, trailing 0.0 (jime)

Spark Advance Degree(Spk)=stopped .00, idle 12, hard accel. 0>19.5,cruise 20>30, LB 31.0, trailing 14>16

Knock Retard Degrees(Knk)=http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/46609-knock-sensor.html

Idle Air Control Vlv(Iac)= Typically 7>9 warm @900=/-50RPM, 0>14 blipping throttle to 3000RPM.

Air Fuel Ratio(Afr)= normal cruise 14.3>14.7, MT LB 20.8>22.8, MT LB Purge 13.7 (jime&olrowdy1)

Evap Purge Control(Evp)=

Fuel Tank Pressure(Ftp)=

MIL Lamp Status 2(Mis)=

Fuel System Status(Fue)=

Engine Load(Lod)= 0-100% non-LB,up to approx. 92% and unstable in LB

2nd O2 Sensor Vlts(O2v)=stopped 0, idle .08, accel. .08, cruise .07, LB 0, deaccel. 0

Engine Torque(Etq)=

Reversing Light(Rev)=

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
12V Battery Voltage(12v)=11.5 to 14.1

Air Fuel Ratio(Afr)= normal cruise 13.7 >14.3, MT LB 22.4 > 21.8

My AFR is 13.7 in MT lean burn purge, 14.3 to 14.7 cruising & 20.8 to 22.8 in lean burn. I rarely see 14.3-14.7 change other than purge and lean burn AFR.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iac- Idle air control values added

I just added values for the Idle air control valve(Iac). As far as I know, these are just the electrical control values and say nothing about the internal condition of the valve, whether or not it is effective in controlling the flow of idle air:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts