Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks to everyone with all the great information on the forum. It seems like everyone on here knows more about these cars then my local honda dealer. Also sorry for the long post but trying to give all the information.

Basics:
2012 Honda Insight LX
168,000 miles

New piston rings due to oil consumption at 64000 miles
Around 130000 miles started consuming oil again. According to Honda oil consumption is not excessive. Put in just under a quart every 1000 miles.
TPMS light on due to refusing to pay $150 to have them get a new tire sensor to register.

Recent issue:
Began feeling like it was going to stall randomly on hills at low speed. Developed something that felt like bouncing or maybe bucking and caused the rpm needle to bounce. This most often occurs when starting from a stop and either going up or down a hill. Began noticing that the hybrid battery was draining faster than normal.

Had the car checked by my local honda dealer at the end of December and they informed me nothing is wrong with the car but with the mileage it's possible the transmission is starting to go.

Continue driving and begin to notice something like a pulsing during normal driving where it feels like it loses power for a split second then comes back and the bounce thing occurs more frequently. Have trouble maintaining speed going up large hills. The battery drain issue continues to get worse. The pulsing thing seems to be better on a full track of gas and get worse when the tank gets closer to empty. Also starts to have a rough idle.

After reading on this forum I take the car to a local guy (who has limited experience with hybrids) questioning the 12 volt battery and the EGR valve and plate. He put in a new 12 volt battery as it was only reading at 7.5 which he pointed out was incredibly low. He also replaced a ground. He checked the EGR and said it was fine.

When I left the garage it took more than 5 miles before the assist or recharge started doing anything. Over the next 3 days at least every 5 minutes while driving the battery would recalibrate with the display showing it dropping down to nothing instantly and several minutes later would show close to fully charged. On the 3rd day multiple lights on my dash came on I had the mechanic change out the cheaper battery that he insisted would work with the official honda one. He insisted the lights would come back on and that this was a different issue but went along with it anyhow.

Now it's a week and a half later. The battery is working wonderfully and don't have any extra lights on. I still have the loss of power going up hills though the assist works great now so it's not as bad as before and this pulsing thing still occurs that makes me feel like this car is going to end up leaving me stranded somewhere. The bouncing also still occurs.

At this point I'm questioning the spark plugs but the dealer tells me they are $35 each and I'm not sure if I should spend that money. I'm also questioning something to do with the gas since the car acts decent on a full tank of gas but the closer I get to empty the worse it feels.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
780 Posts
With the stalling issue feeling worse with low fuel level that sounds more like classic bad fuel pump or fuel filter issues. I'm not sure if you can just change the filter on those or if they're built in. If you can I would look into having the fuel filter changed as 130k is past due.

·
Registered
622 Posts
at that mileage it could b a number of things ... were the plugs ever changed at 100k? if not, change them ... coil packs might b an issue ... and i'd clean the egr and change the gas filter as noted in the above post ... flush the cvt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas.

Plugs were changed at 64000 when the dealership was working on the engine and haven't been changed since. I've specifically asked the dealership about whether the plugs were bad on 2 separate occasions and I'm told the plugs are fine. I don't really trust the dealership though and think they probably need changed just don't really want to spend a lot of money on this car considering the oil issues and I'm told the plugs are $35 each.

EGR was checked 2 weeks ago by a local mechanic he cleaned everything and told me there was barely any build up.

CVT fluid was flushed in September. Have driven roughly 4000 miles since then (was about the same time I no longer needed to drive as far daily).

I'm not familiar with coil packs I'll have to look into that. And it's my understanding that the filter is part of the fuel pump and that it's around a $500 repair. If that's the case I'm probably looking into a new car since I'm unwilling to spend the thousands I'm told it will cost to fix the oil issue and don't want to put a ton of money into this car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Aililia
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing