Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my car in January and have put about 1-2k miles on it since. The previous owner changed the fuel pump before i took delivery of the vehicle.
I haven’t had no real issues until the past month and a half.
When I am idling with the windows open or closed there is a noticeable smell of gasoline.
When I am driving with the windows down I smell it, but with the windows up I cant smell it.

Also my fuel consumption has been odd.
As you can see in the below picture I have driven 165 miles and only have a quarter of a tank left whilst getting 53.5mpg. it doesn’t add up.

Is their fuel being leaked somewhere you think? Maybe by the fuel filter?
Any idea to what I should do to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Previous owner changing fuel pump is suspect so check all that stuff.

However rusted out fuel line just under bulkhead under bonnet is a common issue.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Check your fuel lines up by the front firewall ,if your smelling fuel its probly rusty clips around the fuel lines,anywhere there clips there's chance of failure.Does the car have rust issues or live in the east coast .

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Look up scott jues. Moters in covina..your on west coast,hes the best guy out there to get your car up on lift and inspect for you..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the mpg is great but if im getting 53.5mpg why do i only have 1/4 tank of gas left after driving 160 miles is my concern.

I will check the fuel lines.
I am on the west coast in los angeles and have been to Scott before he is a wonderful person to work with.
Just wanted to see if maybe someone has encountered this issue before

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought an Acura CL a few months ago and had the same fuel smell you describe. It was a weeping fuel line and a local shop replaced them fairly inexpensively. Fuel smell gone. It does not take much to create quite and odor. You could buy some dye to try and track it down. See below. Good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The reason you smell it with the windows down is that the car pulls air up out of the floor, through the cabin, and out the windows when they are open which brings the smell inside.

When the windows are closed and the HVAC fan is on it slightly pressurizes the cabin and pushes the air down and out of the floor (there are two big vents in the rear floor) so the smell is leaving the car and you get fresh air in your face.

I have a gas smell too. Smell it when I first open the car, or whenever the windows are down. Mine seems to be coming from the crusty, checkered, cracked, gross fuel pump that I need to change.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
This car was brought in to the shop a few days ago to determine the leak and complete the repair.
The previous owner had replaced the fuel pump. We are not sure why the PO cut off the fuel lines and put things back together with rubber hose and hose clamps. This is not an acceptable repair. The original fuel lines are metal and vinyl that are heat shrunk together and have quick release ends at the fuel pump.
Part of the history of the car is it sat for several years before this new owner acquired it. It’s possible there has been a rodent nest on top of the fuel pump and the vinyl lines had been chewed or the pump failed and then the PO didn’t know how to disconnect the quick release fittings at the pump or he flexed them too much and they just broke. We will really never know.
We ended up replacing the complete
fuel line with replacements from a parts car.
Clamping rubber hose to vinyl line is a bad connection. Clamping the rubber line to the fuel pump straight nipples is also not a good connection

Here are some photos below:

Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,576 Posts
Thanks for the follow up and the solution!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This car was brought in to the shop a few days ago to determine the leak and complete the repair.
The previous owner had replaced the fuel pump. We are not sure why the PO cut off the fuel lines and put things back together with rubber hose and hose clamps. This is not an acceptable repair. The original fuel lines are metal and vinyl that are heat shrunk together and have quick release ends at the fuel pump.
Part of the history of the car is it sat for several years before this new owner acquired it. It’s possible there has been a rodent nest on top of the fuel pump and the vinyl lines had been chewed or the pump failed and then the PO didn’t know how to disconnect the quick release fittings at the pump or he flexed them too much and they just broke. We will really never know.
We ended up replacing the complete
fuel line with replacements from a parts car.
Clamping rubber hose to vinyl line is a bad connection. Clamping the rubber line to the fuel pump straight nipples is also not a good connection

Here are some photos below:
Scott
Thank you once again Scott for helping me in making my insight great again!!

but seriously Scott is the most helpful shop I have been to and he is much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts