Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing my 12 volt battery soon and see many here are using the Odyssey PC545 & PC680 batteries. Is there a preference for one over the other considering they are priced about the same. I see the 680 has a little more capacity but also weights approximatley 3 pounds more. Also, each battery can be had with or without a medal jacket but considering our stock battery does not have this jacket I assume that would be overkill.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The primary reason I can think of for having the larger battery is if you spend a lot of time listening to the radio with the engine off; otherwise, the PC545 is just fine. Either way, it's nice to have a sealed battery with no corrosive seepage. No metal jacket required.

If you leave the car unattended for any significant time (e.g., > a month), the alarm system will drain down the 12v battery. I now plug in a small (very smart) Battery Tender when I know I won't use the Insight for even a couple of weeks.

Because our Insight's 12v charging system via the dc-dc converter is surprisingly unsophisticated :? , you might consider using a modern three-stage charger to occasionally rejuvenate the 12v battery (be it the PC545/PC680 AGM (be very careful not to exceed the upper voltage limit) or the OEM flooded-lead-acid).

Do a Forum search on "PC545" and you'll find some in-depth discussions and installation photos. HTH. JoeS.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I never listen to the radio when the car is not running so I have opted for the 545 as it is several pounds lighter than the 680 & the stock battery. Also, I've ordered a good trickle charger and will use it from time to time as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts