Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a 12V battery (the one that came with mine was dead) and have found a source of the OEM batteries.

Wondering in people's experiences if they've found a preference between them and a regular Civic-sized battery. Cost being roughly the same ($80)

Thank,

John

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I bought a Civic sized battery. I think that the added weight is negligable on MPG and it fits perfectly into the battery tray (was built for it)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I bought the civic OEM 12V battery because the dealer was asking too much money for the little Insight OEM 12V battery.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi John C:

___Have you considered or even heard of an Optima/Hawker AGM battery? Do a search on Hawker, Optima, or AGM and you should find all you need to know for a bit higher tech and lighter weight solution.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:kiqzef6o][email protected][/email:kiqzef6o]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Woah! You guys have a source of the Furukawa battery? Where? I've inquired about them, all the dealership will sell is the Civic battery, they don't even import the Furukawa's in to the states that I know of.

BTW, I've been running a 13ah Hawker genesis battery in my Insight for over a year now with great results.

·
Registered
344 Posts
battery

I installed a new Honda Gold Wing Yuasa sealed battery yesterday.

Battery Type: YTX20L-BS
Dimensions: 6.875" x 3.4375" x 6.125"
Weight: 11.2 lbs.
C.C.A.: 270

It is the battery for a 2004 1800 cc Gold Wing.
That is almost twice the cc's of an Insight. I have some friends that own a Honda motorcycle dealership so I have been browsing compatibility.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Local Honda dealer in Michigan says they have them, shipping to AZ could be a problem.

Apart from the size, no other considerations (oh, and price) to think about? I was reading here about deep-cycle (boat) batteries, but I thought the problem was the opposite, not enough discharging of the 12V to keep it working well. What's the advantage of the Gold Wing, just that it's appropriately sized?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm interesting. I'll see what my local dealership says next time I'm in there.... and also I might mention that Acura sells the civic size battery as well. They're a little bit more $$$ but they have something like a 7 year warranty on them. Which is more than the Honda battery (though I'm assuming they're probably exactly the same).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts