Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to determine the best option for replacing the original black vinyl trim on the car. From what I can gather, the trim is present on:

The three sections seem to be the same satin black that matches the unpainted black plastic of the side-skirts and rear bumper skirt. I'm currently looking at using Avery SW900 in either satin or gloss black. https://graphics.averydennison.com/...rochures/color-guide/na-swf-color-card-en.pdf

If I go with gloss black, I'd likely wrap both the rear bumper trim and the side skirt as well so that they matched.

My main concern is longevity and not damaging the paint. In this thread, Vinyl Wrapped '00 Insight - Formula Red to White , 'element6' wrapped an insight completely in Oracal 970RA vinyl, which only lasted a few years and damaged his paint upon removal (despite 10-year rated life). I was wondering if other people on the forums have re-wrapped the black trim on the car, and if so how it held up after a few years. Were you able to remove the vinyl without damaging the paint underneath, and if so what vinyl did you choose? A journey through the forum search bar shows that many opt to repaint these sections black, but can't find any who actually used a wrap.

Will post results and updates on my decision here in case others are interested in doing the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
When I paint an Insight, I strip the vinyl and then repaint the black out with SEM trim black. The trim black paint matches the semigloss trim of the vinyl. They make the trim black in aerosol cans and quarts. I’ve also painted the rear bumper lower valance with this product. I do however use adhesion promoter on the plastic of the valance before the paint, it’s recommended. I also, disassemble the side mirrors for painting and use trim black on the base of the mirrors while they are apart.

Scott

Reactions: litz2002

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Here is a roof moulding that had the blackout tape stripped and was then repainted and then masked and sprayed with SEM trim black.
The trim black is easy to work with. It doesn’t peel later like vinyl. If it gets nicked or damaged in the future it’s pretty easy to featheredge sand it and repair it. Mask off the area and respray is easy.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Not a JDM, not one I painted, just a car I did some mechanical work on.
As far as I know there is one JDM black car hidden in the southwest. JDM cars don’t actually meet DOT standards, so they really can’t be imported. If they can someday be imported they wouldn’t be legal in states with emissions testing as they don’t have catalytic converters that meet US standards.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
8,684 Posts
Here is a roof moulding that had the blackout tape stripped and was then repainted and then masked and sprayed with SEM trim black.
Beautifuf results, but how is the world did you "strip" the black tape. I have several of these garnish pieces, but I haven't really been able to get the vinyl off by any means tried. Obviously the this old sun burned, cracked vinyl won't "peel." I tried a heat gun, but that just created a sticky mess which still didn't come off.

Daughter gave me on of those drill mounted "erasure" wheels but haven't tried that yet.

??

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am sure Scott has the real answer, but Steam would be my suggestion vs. something attempting to abrade it off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not a JDM, not one I painted, just a car I did some mechanical work on.
As far as I know there is one JDM black car hidden in the southwest. JDM cars don’t actually meet DOT standards, so they really can’t be imported. If they can someday be imported they wouldn’t be legal in states with emissions testing as they don’t have catalytic converters that meet US standards.

Scott
I recall seeing a RHD JDM shell in black that was being parted out on here a few years ago. I'm sure someone has it in a more unofficial capacity.

2024 would be the year the 25 year minimum will sunset for a ZE1. Considering how much more common Insights are in the US versus Japan I can't imagine one being worth the trouble or cost once you factor importation, duties, customs, etc. It would have to practically be close to free to make importation worth it. I experienced similar issues when I had a Nissan 180SX back in the early 2000s,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts