Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be importing my 2000 Insight into Sweden this summer. One of Sweden's inspection checks before allowing an imported car to be registered is tire condition. With only 22,000 miles on my Insight, its tire's tread depth meets Sweden's requirements. But because these tires are 9 years old, they're beginning to show signs of rot cracking which may result in my Insight failing the inspection.

I have searched Bridgestone's European Website for the Potenza RE92 165/65R14 OEM Insight tires, but no Potenza RE92 appears to be sold in Europe. Bridgestone's recommended Insight replacement tire is a B250, but no 165/65R14 is available. The closest size is 175/65R14. Unlike the OEM tire, the B250 does not appear to be a low-rolling-resistance, light-weight tire. It just seems to be a run-of-the-mill small car tire.

For those of you living in Europe, what tires do you put on your Insights? Is there a low-rolling-resistance, light-weight, 165/65R14 tire available? If not, I might be able to ship a new set of Potenza RE92's with my car, but I'm running tight on space in the shipping container, so I'd rather buy tires in Sweden if I have to.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The RE92 are not E marked tyres.

The UK car OEM spec is the Potenza B391 so you may have more sucess finding AND using it in Europe although it seems Peter is struggling now to get them in the UK.

I have Michelin Energy Savers on the front of mine and a Ceat (Pirrelli made for Kwik Fit) on the rear so Im far from ideal but any extra MPG doesnt justify premature tyre swapping.

·
Administrator
12,628 Posts
Just an update on UK availability. Here Is a reply I got from Bridgestone today.

Seems there are a few left, so I have ordered 6 to go with the couple I found earlier this week, so this means I now have two new sets.

After these wear out I'll have to move onto something else.

Sent: 16 April 2009 10:13
To: Peter Perkins
Subject: RE: 165/65 R14 79T BRIDGESTONE B391

Thank you for your email

The Bridgestone 165/65 R14 B-Series B391 79S & 79T is now discontinued. However we do have a small amount in stock, once these few are sold we will not bring any more in for general sale. The alternative pattern available is the Bridgestone B-Series B250 79T in this size. We have plenty of stock in this pattern and there are no current plans to discontinue this pattern. I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your interest in Bridgestone tyres.

Regards,
Salik A Ali
Bridgestone UK Ltd
Athena Drive, Tachbrook Park
Warwick, CV34 6UX, Great Britain

Tel: 0808 1800 800 Ext.2501
Fax: 01926 310 810
[email protected]
Bridgestone United Kingdom
Firestone Europe
Firestone - Choose Language
First Stop for Bridgestone tyres
Bridgestone Biker's Club - Home
Bridgestone Motorsport home
Sent: 14 April 2009 11:32
To: [BSUK] Contact Centre
Subject: 165/65 R14 79T BRIDGESTONE B391

Please advise on the status of these tyres.

Do you know of any remaining stocks in UK?

Discontinued?

What is your recommended alternative?

Thanks

Peter Perkins

UK Honda Insight owner for which the above are the OEM tyres, any others are known to give a considerable loss in mpg.
I printed this e-mail and took it to my local tyre man who is a Bridgestone dealer. He rang them there and then and ordered me six. You can find you nearest dealer using this link

Dealer Locator Portal

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RE92 are not E marked tyres.
Hmm, with no E mark, I wonder whether a Swedish tire installer would agree to install my RE92 tires if I imported a set into Sweden.

The UK car OEM spec is the Potenza B391 so you may have more sucess finding AND using it in Europe although it seems Peter is struggling now to get them in the UK.
The B391 seems like a dead end now.

I have Michelin Energy Savers on the front of mine and a Ceat (Pirrelli made for Kwik Fit) on the rear so Im far from ideal but any extra MPG doesnt justify premature tyre swapping.
Thanks for the Michelin Energy Saver reference! That looks like a very good substitute. At least it's designed to be low rolling resistance which isn't even mentioned as a property of the OEM RE92. However, Honda must have convinced Bridgestone to make the RE92 in the 165/65R14 size "special" in that it is considerably lighter than other RE92's of similar size and has shallower tread depth. I have not been able to find the weight of a Michelin Energy Saver in the 165/65R14 size to compare it with the RE92, but I suspect that its traction, comfort, and resistance to following road grooves are better which would be great.

I have sent an email message to an Uppsala Michelin dealer requesting availability and price. I hope that I won't be disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts