Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me what brand the OEM tires are? I purchased an Insight last month and I'm trying to figure out if I have OEM tires or not. I know the tires are new but I want to make sure they are LRR.

The current tires on it are Uniroyal. I don't remember the exact model.

I'm sure this has been covered but I can't seem to find it. I found a lot of references to OEM tires but no details to answer my question.

Thanks in advance,
bjordan

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bjordan:

___You do not currently have OEM tires on your Insight as the OEM’s are Bridgestone RE92’s …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:evn5xy7d][email protected][/email:evn5xy7d]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xcel thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed to know. Now I just have to get the model number and make sure my Uniroyal tires are LRR tires.

Now that you mention the Bridgestone's it rings a bell. I've seen it somewhere, probabaly on this site, but I couldn't find it for the life of me.

Thanks again,
bjordan

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OEM tires are Bridgestone RE92
size: 165/65R14

·
Registered
652 Posts
The real question is what makes them LRR tires. One would think that any Potenza RE-92 tire would have the same LRR quality but a quick look at tire rack specifications will show that our Potenza has both a harder compound 260 treadlife and a higher pressure than the Potenza RE-92 in the 165/65 R13 size. I could understand pressure being related to load capability but why is the treadlife so different for two Potenza tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE92

Would a tire with a longer treadlife (harder rubber) and a higheer pressure be even a better LRR tire?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Rick Reece said:
Would a tire with a longer treadlife (harder rubber) and a higheer pressure be even a better LRR tire?
I don't think so... my tires are UTQG 420 A A with max psi of 44 and they're definitely not LRR.

·
Registered
133 Posts
RR is composed of several factors, the rubber compund is only one of those. Factors contributing to RR also include tread contact area deformation and sidewall deformation which are affected by tire design as well as inflation pressure. Even the design of the interface between the tire and rim can have an effect.

As others have discovered, the OEM Bridgestones are unique in the Bridgestone product lineup even though Bridgestone doesn't do anything to call attention to this. Although it is called an RE-92, it is likely that the tire was designed specifically for the Insight. Bridgestone appears to have no other motivation to design this tire, since there is almost no public demand for LRR tires. I do wish they had done a better job on the tread design; as some have noticed it's not the most stable tire out there.

Unfortunately manufacturers do not make RR information available to the public and even if they did, there is no standard way to measure it yet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wish I knew how the RE-92 stacked up to other tires in the list above. I looked at the Bridgestone website and some of their tires are designed with a lot of neat features but not much is mentioned about our tires or any other OEM tires for that mater. The do offer a money back guarantee within 30 days so I guess one could experiment until they found the bext set. One would think the RE-92 is the best for the Insight but in 4 years has anything better been developed. Have fun, Rick

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___With the mileage I have been receiving lately, I don’t care what anyone develops as the Insight specific RE92’s are offering me all I could ever imagine! Tramlining? Poor rain mileage or traction? I didn’t purchase the Insight to track like its on rails and I knew of its poor weather capabilities when I purchased her but to lose 10, 15, or even 20% in exchange for tires that might change the Insight’s handling qualities some small amount is tantamount to placing bling bling’s on her. Personally after taking on a Chicago winter and spring rains, she does great out on the highways which is where she shines in both regards for me anyway.

___That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love to have the MDX’s traction in the snow and slush or its dead on straight line stability but at only 1/3 the mileage, my little beauty just sings a different tune then most is all ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:269f7wkz][email protected][/email:269f7wkz]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would rather drive an Insight with winter tires on snow and ice then any SUV with all season tires.
I know this from personal experience instructing and driving different vehicles at the winter car control schools.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi xcel,

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected :oops: according to this there are standards designed by SAE for measuring RR.

At the same time, the article the states, "Even when tire makers claim that particular replacement models are more fuel-efficient than others, they do not always use consistent test methods," so it would seem that tire makers do not avail themselves of the standard. I suppose it would cost them extra to have the proper testing done.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I was just looking to see if anything better has been made. Haven't found anything. Plenty of talk however. For example the Goodyear E metric tires shown on the GM fuel cell vehicle shown in 02 but of course you can't buy them and they arn't making them. The RE-92's come with 9/32 inches of tread. My front tires (rotated to front at around 40K miles) now have 97K miles and I measured the tread depth at 5/32nd. I only changed the ones on the rear because I had a belt or something fail that caused the sidewall to pertrude perpendicular to the tire tread. I wonder how much of the better fuel economy is due to their light weight (Our RE-92's are much lighter than any other tire that I have found). Have fun, Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts