Honda Insight Forum banner

Oil and Coolant low

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  marx404 
#1 ·
Well, so I have had my 2012 Insight for about 2 weeks now and have had to add coolant to the reservoir twice now and yesterday noticed the oil about 1/4 inch below the top hole. It has been full up until now and I have driven only 300 miles. So I am writing this from the waiting room of my local Honda dealer service dept.

I just bought this car , its a Certified PreOwned and was recently checked for oil consumption, which the service writer says it passed. Now they want to charge me to perform another test! Sigh. My first Honda and not too thrilled right now.

#2 ·
If one has to pay for an oil consumption test on a vehicle with a known oil consumption problem (with a warranty extension!) what is the point of Honda Certified Pre-owned? You might want to ask the used sales manager and the service manager that. Suggest that perhaps a phone call with a follow up letter to American Honda Corp might be in order.

The damn thing has bad piston rings. Everybody knows that including Honda!

#3 ·
Now please keep in mind that I have been driving nothing but brand new Chevys for the past decade, Hondas are new to me, so any low fluids are a red-flag to me, period.

So the service writer says: the car has just had a oil consumption test in August and underwent Certification Inspection which it passed both. Service writer suggests that any level between the low and high holes on the dipstick are acceptable, I say not when the level dropped 1/4 inch from the top hole in a few days. Says that those marks represent only one quart out of the three. He also stated that the coolant is fine as long as it is above the Min marker on the reservoir tank. Then says adding in a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal. That would be around every month for me, not happy about that. He suggested keeping an eye on the oil and to perform another consumption test at next oil change. Yea, if that's the case, Honda Corp. will be hearing from me soon.

This is becoming a iffy situation for me. Just came out of a 2015 loaded Chevy Cruze (don't like the newer model) always wanted an Insight so bought this affordable used one. I went from zero, yes zero maintenance other than oil changes and gas to this car. Wife is up for a new car soon, thought it might be a Honda too, but if this is what I have to look forward to, nope. :feeling sad:

#4 ·
Well, there is good news and bad news. Sorry but apparently you bought the car without doing your homework. There is an issue with oil consumption on your car. The good news is that the warranty was extended to eight years unlimited miles.

Honda will not react to 1/4 inch in a few days. The consumption must exceed a qt / 1000 miles on a test. When it does, Honda will replace the pistons and rings.

There may be a coolant leak or there may have been air trapped in the system. See if the coolant starts to remain constant. If not, look for a leak and/or have the system pressure tested.

You will likely have to pay for the tests especially if they result in nothing wrong.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree I didn't see how common this was. I did do a lot of research on the car and read up on the TSB prior to buying it. I did get a CPO inspection checklist and vehicle history, showing that the car was "within specs" after the oil consumption test. I was also told that the car is covered until 2020 in case the consumption exceeds 1 qt every 1000 miles. Lastly the car is Certified which "should" give me extra bumper to bumper and powertrain plus roadside assistance warranty. Obviously the salesman did not openly discuss the oil consumption issue. My thought at the time was that for $8600. for this one owner car that was well kept, If they make good on the warranty it was a good deal. Other than this headache I do love this car.

I have no problem paying for any routine maintenance, but issues deriving from the oil consumption and coolant level should at least be covered under my CPO warranty. After all, that's why I bought a CPO Honda.

#6 ·
Well, the real problem is the definition of "acceptable limits". To everybody in the world except Honda this is ZERO. To Honda it is 1 qt/1,000 miles. You're actually in a good position. Your car has started using oil and it will get worse. You have plenty of time. You have warranty coverage. Just drive it, enjoy an otherwise great car, and let it do it's thing.

Keep reporting to Honda to establish records. DO NOT ever add oil, and DO NOT let them overfill it when they change it. DO have it changed at Honda. This WILL get fixed. Be patient.

Sam

#7 ·
Indeed you should NOT be adding oil & coolant to a car you have only had two weeks. You should not have to and you should not period. That engine is theirs to deal with, the more you fiddle with it the less evidence of malfunction you have. You should have been in there saying look at the oil and coolant level, not hey I had to add some. Hopefully if you did add to the coolant you only use genuine Honda long life coolant. Other products should not be mixed with that.

How many miles on this Insight?

#8 ·
Keep good paper records of what is going on!

Willie

#9 · (Edited)
So I just got a call from the manager at the shop at Honda who says that I need to let the oil get lower and lower before they'll do anything he said once it gets down to halfway between the two holes in the dipstick that I should bring it in and they'll do an oil consumption test. He kind of was talking down to me as if I'm an idiot that doesn't know anything about cars. Not cool. He refused to answer my question when I asked him how low is low. Promise to take care of me if anything happens but won't do anything until something does happen. My service advisor told me when the oil gets down to the bottom hole in the dipstick that it is only one quart low this guy just told me that when it is down to the bottom hole that I am two quart low well which is it? And then theres the constantly low coolant. Sorry for the voice typing.

#10 ·
This all sounds ok. Don't stress about it. This is all going to turn out good. You just have to jump through their hoops.

Are you adding coolant? Is the level dropping? If so, how fast? Always check it before you start the car in the morning to eliminate the effect of temperature.

Sam

#11 ·
thanks Sam yes I always check my car in the morning it's it's in my garage overnight usually about 75 to 78 degrees inside. Every morning when I check my coolant it is down to the minimum mark I always fill it in between the middle of the minimum and maximum and then in the morning again it's back to the minimum so yeah constantly having to check my car and top fluids off every damn morning is stressing me out

#13 ·
No coolant leaks. Floor dry. Just about every morning the reservoir is at min mark, I fill it to half way then its back to min the following morning. Doesnt seem to go lower than min, but I'm not going to let it get that low. I sure could find better things to do with my time.

#14 ·
Keep the records. If you can show them time, date, and ounces it will go a lot farther than "half way down every day".

Sam

#18 ·
Great. So how many ounces are in the reservoir between the minimum and maximum line or do I have to break out the kitchen beaker LOL
Your wife wouldn't like this. Go to the dollar store and find something with markings on it. Also, don't add anything except Honda blue coolant.

Sam

#17 ·
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not a G2 guy, so I don't know anything about this light. You aren't trying to keep this engine alive. You're trying to make it use enough oil that they'll fix it. After it's fixed you can go back to taking care of it.

Sam

#19 ·
Or maybe just buy a new 1 gallon pre mixed coolant bottle from Honda and count the number of times you fill before it runs out. 128/# fills is how many ounces you were adding each morning.

Sounds like you'll get to 1 gallon pretty quick at the rate you're going.

#20 ·
I think a measured quantity with dates and times would be more meaningful to them. That's the way I would do it if I wanted to prove to them that it was losing coolant.

Sam

#21 ·
Always take the measurements early in the AM and document time and date.

HTH
Willie

#22 ·
Yep, part of my daily morning coffee ritual. ;-)
I checked yesterday after I last filled the coolant midway between the MIN and Max lines at cold in the AM. Just for giggles I checked the coolant after driving home (8 mi) and the coolant was almost up to the Max. Will keep an eye on it, maybe this is normal?

Thanks to all here for the help.

#23 ·
Yes it will go to the top mark, then tomorrow in the AM it should be back to where you filled it.
I always fill mine to the top mark when cold , easier to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.