Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my used 2001 insight yesterday and have just one quick question. The maintenance scheldule calls for oil changes every 7,500 miles and filter changes every 15,000. My dad, who has been a mechanic for 25+ years had a spasm when I told him that. Is he right in his suggestion that I change the oil more frequently, or is he just old fashoned?

PS. Love the car....[Edited by Moderator: offensive content removed.]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
According to the factory service manual on page 3-6 the _maximum_ OC interval is 7,500 and includes a filter change.

The severe schedule is 3,750 and includes a filter change. Most driving fits in the severe category. Although it will take many 10's of thousands of miles before you will see the benefit of this more frequent interval.

Dad is right this time, perhaps he always was. <VBG>

HTH!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I personally change mine ever 3500 miles, and thats even with running synthetic oil. The only time when you should go longer would be if you did fall in to the non severe category, which is unlikely. To say the least changing the oil more often won't hurt one thing.

If you can do the changes yourself. Get a new crush washer and filter each time and use 2.6 quarts of 0W-20 oil for a change. It is the perfect exact amount. Either Mobil1 makes a full synthetic 0W-20 weight oil or you can use Honda's conventional 0W-20... though the Mobil oil is not much more expensive. The best source of it so far is hit and miss at Walmarts. You may also want to get out the torque wrench when you change the oil, the pan is made of magnesium and there have been several cases of dealerships over tightening the plug and stripping out the threads.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I change the insight's oil and filter every 5000 miles. Thats nearly 100% highway mileage. So, that equates to an oil change about every 5 weeks, depending on my TDY travel.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Skypig said:
I change the insight's oil and filter every 5000 miles. Thats nearly 100% highway mileage. So, that equates to an oil change about every 5 weeks, depending on my TDY travel.
That's a LOT of driving...

"TDY" havent' heard that in a while. Active duty?

·
Registered
453 Posts
The oil change every 3000 miles is a left over thought from the early 1900's. Todays cars/oil/oil filters can and will handle a much longer between changes.

Cars that are sold in Germany have a much higher oil change intervals than the same car sold in the US.

Dads.. :roll: Yes they are right most of the time. But when it comes to new things they are hard to adapt. My dad can't seam to understand that tires can hold more than "32 psi" :!:

WWEAD?, show your dad the small oil filter. That will be a laugh!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___7,500 miles for a filter and oil change or ~ every 8 weeks here. 0W-20 Mobil1 Synthetic and a Walmart purchased SuperTech are the minimum requirements ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2bgqqb35][email protected][/email:2bgqqb35]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your comments. Now that the oil change issue is out of the way, I just have to keep my dad from tearing the thing apart "to see how it works".

Sorry about the offensive content in the original post....I'm new to this forum stuff and apparently a little rough around the edges.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Offensive? It was a hoot!

EDIT: The dad part was. I simply ignored other, it was a bit over the top. But with _you_ being a hybrid and all, I think I understand where you were trying to go. the remainder of my original post still applies :)

But _your_ dad might not think so.

Better keep it our little secret!

LOL & HTH!

·
Registered
700 Posts
WWEAD? said:
... I just have to keep my dad from tearing the thing apart "to see how it works".
Ha! Ha! My dad is the same way. He finally got to see my Insight a few weeks ago when I drove for a visit.

He couldn't t keep from poking and pulling things, and I barely got it away in one piece. :p

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Holicow:

___Funny you should mention your father.

___I took my little beauty over to my parents house last month and my mom told me later that my father wanted to drive it so bad but couldn’t say the words. He won’t own a Japanese vehicle for all the reasons a 65 year old won’t but is simply amazed at the mileage I have told him about. Maybe when it is a bit warmer and he won’t ruin my tank to tank or lmpg average any, I will let him have at it ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1t3ap1er][email protected][/email:1t3ap1er]

·
Registered
700 Posts
xcel: My dad is about the same age, and an engineer, and somewhat of a dreamer, so anything technical interests him. He designed our houses in the past with passive solar heat, modern steel beam construction, and "unconventional" insulation methods. I still remember going over to the site and filling the concrete blocks of the basement walls with styrofoam beads.

Unfortunately, due to an old injury, he can't drive manual transmissions anymore, so I don't have to worry his hurting my car or mileage. Makes me a little sad, since I know he really wants too. He makes up for it with the poking and prodding, though.

He may be a little more liberal when it comes to politics, I guess. He's on his 3rd Honda. :wink:

To return to topic somewhat: I think he would croak if he saw how small the oil filter was.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holicow said:
That's a LOT of driving...

"TDY" havent' heard that in a while. Active duty?
First part: Yep, I drive roughly 900 to 1000 miles a week, but I rotate my Jeep Wrangler in once in a while. Usually during bad weather. I don't drive the Insight in snow and rain if I don't have to. I gave up the occasional commute in my Dodge Ram 2500 V-10. I think you can guess why! Geez. One day in the truck costs as much as a week with the Insight!

Second part: Former military, but currently a federal inspector. We still call it TDY. Fortunately, I no longer go to places where people are trying to kill me, that I know of anyway.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Old oil change beliefs simple don't apply with todays technology. Engines and oils are much better than they were when 3,000 mile oil changes were the norm. Most of us always change the oil filter with every oil change, which is more than any manufacture calls for. That is a very inexpensive thing to do but, replacing the oil early is just a waste and not needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts