Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought in my Insight for its 1st oil change since I have owned it. I called a day in advance (to an independent non-Honda shop) requesting 0W-20 oil as recommended by Honda. When I arrived this afternoon, they did not have the oil yet, but said they would order it from NAPA and get it in a few minutes. When I went to check out, it said 0W-20 on the receipt. However, I was charged for 5 quarts. This is probably common sense to many, but the Insight only takes 2.6? quarts. I got a refund of two quarts and requested the half-empty third bottle (since I paid for it anyway). When the bottle was brought out, it was Mobile 5W-20. I was told that 0W-20 is being discontinued (and I know this has been a subject of debate on the message boards), and that Mobile 0W-20 has the same "ticket number" as 5W-20 (implying that it is the same oil. which of course, is not true). However, all four Honda dealerships in Indy strongly recommended against anything other than 0W-20, as 5W will "goop" up the engine. One even told me to immediately get the 0W put in and drain the 5W.

Long story short, make sure that correct 0W-20 is put into your Insight when you request it. The best way it to ensure 0W is being used it is to ask for the third bottle (since you paid for it anyway).

Not to beat a dead horse, is Mobile 0W being discontinued? And what are the other brands that can be purchased, other than Penzoil and Honda dealership oil? Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just to let you know... IMO... 5w30 and 0w30 are nearly identical in perforamce. You should have no issue using 5w30 in your car. If you asked a honda dealership which oil and which filter to use they will always tell you that their oil is "specially formulated" and that their filter is the best. That any aftermarket filter will degrade you engine

This is total BS... if you scrape the paint of their filter (or cut it in half) you will see that some other third party company makes it for them and they just put their name on it. So you could just go buy that oil filter from walmart instead of paying 8.80 for their filter. The same is true for their oil (i think mobil maked it for them!) they charge like 6 dollars a quart or something rediculous like that.

Mobil 1 is only like 5 dollars a quart at worst! So long rant made short... dont listen to your dealer about that issue... cause they have huge margins on their parts and they like you to buy from them!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Honda made 5W sound like a very bad choice compared to 0W. I suppose they will bring comparable results. :oops:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mobil1 is discontinuing the 0w-20. The only people who might see problems in the Insight are those who live up north and need the 0 weight oil for freezing conditions. Once it warms up, both 0w-20 and 5w-20 will provide the same weight and protection.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yet another reason to do oil changes yourself. You never know what you really are getting when someone else does the work.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
5W-20 should be fine. Like others have said, it will only make any noticable difference if you live in an extremely cold place. Actually if you look in the owners manual it even says that you can use 5W-20 just fine. Now the fact that they had 5 quarts listed on your reciept somewhat scares me, I'd suggest checking your dipstick and making sure they didn't over fill it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts