Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change my own oil for the first time in about 1000 miles using a pair of ramps from Bennett. Is there any special advice for doing this with an Insight? Is there any difference between the brands of synthetic oil?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be very careful with the drain plug threads. They are extremely sensitive to mishandling. I suck the oil out the dipstick with a marine pump in order to avoid problems with the plug. Check for other messages about drain plug thread problems. Be cautious!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
I've done 28 oil changes and no problem with the drain plug. I change the crush washer every other oil change. Don't overtorque the drain plug.

I swear by Mobil 1 sync.

Numerous topice on ICN about what you request.

Let your fingers do the search. ;)

Willie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I have the car upon ramps, but I can't find the filter. Can you guys give me any hints on where to look?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Take the three piece aero covers off (two plastic and one metal) and the filter is located towards the front bumper above the metal aero cover. Be careful with the oil drain bolt threads.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
After you've done it once, you can probably reach it with only the right side cover off...

Don't strip the bolts! A steel bolt going into aluminum needs to be just barely tight. Not very tight at all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A steel bolt going into aluminum needs to be just barely tight. Not very tight at all.[/quote]

Magnesium oil pan?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That's right Scott. The oil pan is a complex magnesium casting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts