Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my previously owned 2000 Insight, I changed the oil. Sometime later the maintenance required light came on and I reset it. It was time to change the oil again, which I did today and now I'm wondering if I can get the light and my oil changes synchronized.
The directions for resetting the light require you to wait until the light goes off, but does anyone know if I just do it for a few seconds without the light on, will it reset??
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you reset the maintenance light at the same time you do the oil change, you are syncronizing them. The light does not have to com eon in order to reset the maintenance req'd light. So just reset it, and it wont come on. Hope that helps.

Mark

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping that would do it, but I couldn't find anything specific on it.
Thanks,
robert

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the 7500 mile recommendation. I've never gone this long before, but I am using the mobil 1 and the supertech filter. It almost feels like heresy since I've changed oil every 3000 miles in all my other cars for about 30 yrs.

I wouldn't normally worry about the Maintenance Req'd light, but I figure it will be a good reminder.

thanks! :D
robert

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
originalbadbob said:
It almost feels like heresy since I've changed oil every 3000 miles in all my other cars for about 30 yrs.
Let go of the 3k mile oil change theory. Those days are gone for good. Oil and engine technology is much better than it used to be, making early oil changes a thing of the past. If you must change something early, change the oil filter. And to make this easier install an oil relocation adapter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't know they made an oil relocation adapter. Does that mean you use a different filter like some of the other ones? Would it allow you to locate it to where you didn't have to remove the underpanel? That would be handy.
Where would I go to find one of these. I have a fram sure drain valve on my Mazda and I sure do like it. With the oil filter relocated and a sure drain, I wouldn't need any tools to change the oil.

Thanks,
robert

·
Registered
366 Posts
I didn't know that either. I would like to know more.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Typical racing application. Try racing suppliers such as Jeg's etc. Since all late model Hondas use the same filter thread size and the Civics are favorites with the "ricers" right now there is probably one available.

Primary consideration is careful routing of the hoses. Carefully route and secure to prevent any chaffing. And the filter loaction / hose routing needs to be in a "protected" location. Not one that a simple road hazard can easily damage. Expect low quality hoses to fail with potential catastrophic results for the engine, so don't cut any corners there either :!:

Also the final position of the remote filter should be the same elevation or lower than its original location to prevent oil drain back and an increased time delay for oil pressurization on a restart.

HTH! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts