Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not one of the do it yourself people when it comes to changing the oil in my car. I've only had my Insight for about 3 months now and as far as mileage is concerned, I'm due to have it changed. But, on the dashboard it shows my oil life at 80%. When do you guys customarily change your oil and if you don't do it yourself, where do you take it? Would the preferred choice be to go to the dealer or would any place that changes oil do? I know the manual says to use Honda oil but is that really necessary? And is the oil filter proprietary? Sorry for the Newbie questions but, I'm an Insight Newbie.

·
Registered
210 Posts
@Cheech
If we are talking about the second generation.
Use any oil 0w20, as recommended in the user's manual.

For 2011 G2 at page 362 to 366: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/M81111/M81111OM.PDF
The procedure for changing the oil is very simple:
* unscrew the splash guard
* unscrew the drain plug
* drain the oil
* replace the oil filter
* tighten the drain plug
* pour oil
Any owner or any service station will cope with this work.

Recommended materials:
821699974 Honda Ultra green oil 4L (replace ~3,5 L)
821799974 Honda Ultra Leo 0w20 4L
15400-RTA-003 Oil filter (Any compatible)
9410914000 Washer, Drain Plug

If you purchased a car with a high mileage, I also recommend changing the oil in CVT.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
What do you mean “due as far as mileage”? You change the oil when it gets down to about 15% and the MID sets letter codes for the service required.

While it one can use any oil change place, it is important that they not overfill, overtighten the drain plug, use the proper oil, and reinstall the splash guard correctly. At a dealer the drain plug will get a fresh crush washer and have the drain plug torqued to spec. That is not happening at Quickylube.

I can’t remember what year your Insight is, but if it is a 2012 or 2013, it is subject to an excessive oil consumption warranty extension. That may be a reason to develop a relationship with a Honda dealer now. If you have a choice of dealers, having the oil changed might be a good way to sniff them out.

No matter where you take it, have sales resistance. Don’t let them talk you into unnecessary services.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What do you mean “due as far as mileage”? You change the oil when it gets down to about 15% and the MID sets letter codes for the service required.
The MID can be reset manually, without changing the oil. When buying a car with a high mileage, it is recommended to change all oils, filters and liquids.
If, of course, the seller does not have checks for payment, but this is not a 100% guarantee.
When buying a car, seller told me that changed the spark plugs, filters and all liquids, but actually there were installed original spark plugs from the factory.
But I still replaced all filters, oils and spark plugs.
Two fools: one buys, another sells, and who will cheat?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
CHeech says in other posts that he just bought it in March with 44,000 miles on it. So i’m curious if it just has another 3000 on it. At that mileage it dosn’t Need much. If one wants to do something extra, changing the CVT fluid would be a good idea.
Also, in that other thread he says that it is a 2013. So it could be subject to the piston ring issue effecting 2012 & 2013 models. Honda (in the USA least) has extended the warranty on them, but it would be wise to keep an eye on oil level and use a dealer for oil changes.

I think it’s foolish to change out our expensive spark plugs early, at least when running top tier fuel in North America & Europe. If one’s fuel is sketchy, then a different schedule may be called for. We did not change the plugs until our 2010 had over 125,000 on it and they were in perfect condition when removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can easily go to 10,000 mi on full syntehtic between changes. The MID wants 7500 i think. I say just do 7,500 if you are not on 80% hwy mileage. I use Wix filters.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The MID is all over the place because it actually does measure oil life, keeping track of many factors including, but not limited to, cold starts, warm starts, outside temperature, miles driven on each start. Ours gets to 15% at about 8500, bUt it has been as low as 7800 and as high as 9500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts