Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change ( that i am gonna do myself, no the first since i got it, but that would have to be some kinda record)... Manual says you need a special honda tool, its just a strap wrench right?

Anyones thoughts on Synthetic vs Organic Oils..... i can decide, cause im cheap but i love my car!! So torn!!

Thanks for the help :x

·
Registered
140 Posts
I routinely change my own oil...don't know what "special tool" the manual recommends. I just use a plain old wrench to loosen the drain plug and a wal-mart special strap wrench to loosen the filter. The filter is a little pesky because it is up behind a piece of aluminum...maybe some other type of wrench would reach it better?

As far as synth vs dino oil...you are treading pretty close to religon there. I'm fairly sure you will get many arguments for both sides. I have run several (non honda) cars to 160,000 mi plus on nothing more than regular dino oil changes. They still weren't burning any oil when I sold them. But, I run Mobil 1 in my Insight and B16 powered CRX. I figure engines are relatively expensive and oil is relatively cheap. Plus the CRX engine rev's to 4K RPM at 75 MPH so it is putting quite a few strokes on the cylinder per mile. The insight, by contrast, is spinning at quite a lower rate.

In the end I would say run what ever quality oil you feel comfortable with and can afford.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My two cents...

Mobil 1 all the way.

30 year user. Hundreds of vehicles (a fleet manager in another life). Never a failure. Torn-down engines looked new after 100,000+ miles. I mean, every time...

Like Corey872 said, I'm treading pretty close to religion. Superstition, even. But I have to go with my experience. Miraculous stuff. If Gilligan and the Skipper had had Mobil 1 on that stoopid island, they probably would have been able to save themselves a lot sooner :wink: ...

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Go with synthetic. It is not worth messing around with cheap dino oil. Synthetic saves on gas too so there really is no significant cost to use it. Starts better in the cold too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the special tool allows the filter to be removed and installed more easily without removing the aluminum undertray.

I always remove the aluminum undertray and the plastic panels all as one piece. The 2 plastic rivets come out if you (carefully) pry the center loose (not all the way out). The center part is what causes the rivet to expand and be secure. This way the filter is within easy reach and I have no puddles of oil on the undertray. Also, I can shake any sand and debris off of the panels.

I'm sure the rivets will wear out at some point from repeated insertion/removal, but I haven't seen it yet after a half dozen changes.

I would guess you're very likely to find that the dealer or quick lube place overtightened it (like they seem to do with everything), so you will probably need a strap wrench. I never need it since I tighten the filter by hand. It should only be at most about 3/4 turn past seated; any tighter risks damaging the gasket on the filter and causing a leak.

·
Registered
453 Posts
pela 6000, plastic bag, mobil 1 oil, 2000 model civic supertech filter from walmart.

Never even jack the car up. Just use the pela 6000 to remove the oil, put the plasic bag on the bottom area around the oil filter and remove the filter, put larger civic oil filter on, install oil.

If you do your own oil changes and have strong grip then you don't even need the strap wrench.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The only thing that makes synthetic oil better than dino oil is its tolerance for heat. Synthetic gets dirty in the same amount of time dino does. Others here have posted improved gas mileage when using synthetic oil. I'm still using dino so I can't comment on that.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi JustinGray:

___Might I suggest you purchase your own oil (of whatever type) and filter (of whatever type) and bring them into your Honda dealer for the change. If they strip that oil drain bolt from the Insight’s magnesium pan, it’s there few hundred bucks down the drain, not yours … Besides, I bring in 3 Qt’s of Mobil1 Synthetic 0W-20 and a Walmart purchased SuperTech filter (< $14.00) into my local Honda dealership and $9.36 later including the crush washer, my oil is changed and I didn’t remove a single aero cover, place her up on ramps, have to dispose of any oil or filter, and it registers in my Insight’s Honda dealership maintenance records. I hope your local Honda dealership offers as great a deal as that as well!

___In regards to Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic, the only reason I use it is because it has the lowest Kinematic viscosity of any 0W-20 or higher viscosity oil you can purchase. You receive the many protective features of full blown synthetic (lowered viscosity breakdown over time) and the increase in fuel economy (however slight it truly is) with its use. In terms of longevity, any good 5W-30 Dino based oil changed at the recommended intervals or before will give your ICE a longer life then the pack will ever see in all reality.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1gj3avfm][email protected][/email:1gj3avfm]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am amazed at how many of you don't change your own oil. It's so freaking easy in this little car. I get mine done in less time it takes a dealership to do it. With the money I save, I treat my sweetie to dinner and a movie.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought since i asked, i would share my decision and my findings.

After a long and careful thought process i have settled on doing my own oil change with Mobil 1 0 w 20 synthetic.

I can not bring myself to trust the monkeys at the local quick lube center. And i have seen the morons that Pep boys highers do some real damage.
The dealership around her was like 20 bucks. So i am going to do it. Wont take long anyway.

I choose mobil 1 for two main reasons. I was able to get it a little cheaper on sale, and i love my car to much to not give it the best. Even though i will change the oil every 3000 miles and synthetic isnt really necessary for such a small, low HP engine... its nice to have the low kinematic viscosity and piece of mind

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is a waste of money, time and toxic waste is doubled. Follow the owners manual recommendation for oil change intervals, it's already very conservative, specially since you are using synthetic oil.

·
Registered
166 Posts
of course. It depends on the oil you use. If you are using synthetic you don't need to change the oil for 4500-5000 miles. normal oil about 3000-3500 miles.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Arsenic1250 said:
of course. It depends on the oil you use. If you are using synthetic you don't need to change the oil for 4500-5000 miles. normal oil about 3000-3500 miles.
No! It's 7500 miles for regular oil, longer for synthetic.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is 1970's thinking, back in a day when an engine's and oil's technology was very wasteful. Today's oils and engines are designed for longer intervals.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Armin said:
Arsenic1250 said:
Right on!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
When I first bought my Insight my dealer insisted in 3500 miles oil changes, I asked them to explain to me why it had to be 3500 miles, he said when you are in traffic the car idles a lot and it shortens the oil life.

I mentioned that the Insight does not idle like other cars, then he said the oil gets contaminated from the fuel because some of the fuel gets by the piston rings, so I told them the even if it was true, the insight gets twice the mileage as any other car, therefore it would be about half the blow-by.

He could not come up with a good reason, but he said you should change it often if you want to keep your car for a long time, so I replied, I do want to keep my car for a long time, so I'm switching to syntethic oil.

Ever since, I have been using syntethic oil. I change it every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The dealers want you to keep comming back often because now a days they make most of their money from maintenaince instead of repairs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Armin said:
Arsenic1250 said:
Armin 7500 for regular oil.. hmm this is probably why i change my syn every 5000 miles and have a cvt and get about 84 mpg.

7500 is too long.

also its not just milage if your car is sitting there for about 6 months you should change the oil as well. since you all seem to be so depende in miles driven. just thought i would let the ones who dont know whats going on.

G

·
0 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

7500 is what the manual says, so one needn't change it more often to satisfy the warranty, and this is certainly a conservative number. Amsoil says its 0w30 synthetic can go 27,000 miles.

and... 84 mpg with a CVT? You're gonna have to back that up with some photos of your dash.

Arsenic1250 said:
Armin 7500 for regular oil.. hmm this is probably why i change my syn every 5000 miles and have a cvt and get about 84 mpg.

7500 is too long.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I knew my CVT mileage was better using Mobil 1, but I never knew I could get 24mpg more by changing it more often! :roll:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts