Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It's time for the first oil change. The manual says you need a wrench from Honda to get the oil filter off. Is this true?

Thanks,
Derek

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,970 Posts
oil wrench

You don't need a special wrench. You don't need a wrench at all if you have a strong grip.
A small oil filter "socket" is available from Pep Boys for about 3 bucks. It fits over the end of the oil filter and you can attach it to a ratchet wrench or a "breaker bar".
I assume you are going to be changing the oil all the time so it is a good investment. After the filter bottoms with hand tightening, tighten an additioal 3/4 to 1 turn. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
dex3703 said:
The manual says you need a wrench from Honda to get the oil filter off. Is this true?
Is this your first time ever doing an oil change on a vehicle? All manuals say specific tools are needed. While it is not always true, they do this for liability reasons. Should a person decide to do their own work and they used tools that the manufacture didn't list, and the work get messed up they can claim you didn't use the correct tools, per their instructions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just changed the oil filter for the first time myself. Did it with my hand, no problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use a strap wrench since the filters are so small. My filter wrenchs were all too big.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I bought one of those filter wrenches and used it half of one time. It's much easier to just tighten it by hand. You won't risk overtightening it as you could with a long enough wrench of breaker bar. I've never had a drop of oil leak from the filter with just tightening it by hand.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've done about 7 oil changes on my Insight with just my hands to remove the filter. Never had a problem getting the filter off.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you can't get the filter off by hand, you can use some channel lock pliers or even puncture it with a screwdriver all the way through and use it as a lever after all the oil has drained out. The O-ring diameter is pretty small so unless someone really over tightened it, it shouldn't be a problem. 3/4 of a turn on a lubed O-ring after first contact should be plenty.
robert

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't forget to check

Don't forget to check that the old oil filter o-ring seal comes off with the old filter. You will find, if you do enough oil changes, that once in a while, the old filter leaves it's o-ring stuck to the engine block ( or cooler in our case ). Double stacking the o-rings is an instant leak!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
For the filter put on way too tight on Edwin, I just took it off today with a $12 strap wrench from Kragen. I had to get a big wrench and a little one in the $12 kit, but they worked OK. It was way too tight. Now the new one is on correctly. I would recommend a strap wrench and not the plastic one that fits over the end, as the strap one really fits well from friction and can't skip and slip.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, it was such a nice day today I decided to change my oil. No success. :cry:

First thing I found was an apparently random pattern of long and short bolts holding on the undertrays. I tried to keep track, but there's no sense to how they're arranged.

Second, I can't get the darn filter off. In 35 years of car mechanicing I have never encountered a filter that is on so tight. I'm going to have to break down and buy a filter wrench (or a strap wrench). Of course, all the stores are closed today, even Wal-Mart.

Third, there is no washer behind the drain bolt. And the washer they gave me isn't a crush washer or a copper washer, but appears to be made of stainless steel.

And now there is a stain on my driveway because I got so flustered that I pulled out the newspaper before I put the bolt back in. ARGH!

Tomorrow has to go more smoothly! :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
belly pan fasteners

Dougie - I've been trying to get those screws and bolts sorted out ever since I bought my Insight. That was the first thing I noticed, too. Random - and missing fasteners. I finally bought a complete set, but have never found any legible pix that shows what goes where.

A local auto parts store gave me their display cap wrench - they didn't stock that particular size, and figured they would never sell one.

Do not use a cap wrench or filter wrench to install the filter - only for removal if needed.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oil change done. Here are a few things I found...

- This was a first oil change at 6000 miles, based on the "break the engine in without changing the oil" theory.

- There are four "short" screws and about eight "long" screws holding on the underbody panels. The aluminum panel on my car had three short and one long screw, but the whole setup seems symmetrical and the screws seem like they would work in any position, so I made an executive decision to put all four short screws in the aluminum panel.

- There was a washer on the drain bolt after all. I found it in the oil. Not a crushable washer.

- It took three quarts to fill up to the full mark. Using a carefully calculated 2 quarts 19.2 ounces, as specified in the shop manual for an oil-and-filter change put the oil level to exactly half way on the dipstick. So I think that concern about not getting any "left over" oil back from the shop is misplaced.

- I used the honda 0W-20 oil.

- There were bearing shavings in the drained oil, particles smaller than sand grains but easily visible. :shock: This bothers me quite a bit, but I have to admit that I have never looked so closely at drained oil since my MGB ran its bearings back in 1970. Hopefully this isn't an indicator of future trouble. I'll report in another 1000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts