Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but came up empty. I think the agreement was that WalMart Super Tech filters were as good as the name brand filters, correct? I just went to Mobil 1 syn. oil and changed to a Super Tech ST6607 filter. Is this the same number everyone uses? Is was about half the length as the stock filter. I think I would rather have the extra capacity of the stock filter.

Thanks All,
Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've been using the supertech filter since I bought my car, but was the same size as the filter that came of of it. I don't remember the brand that was on it since it was almost a year ago, but the car was used and I switched to the mobil 1 at the same time.
Extra capacity isn't necessary since you really don't need much for lubrication. Some cars need it for cooling, but I don't think we use it much for that if we drive it in a normal manner. The dipstick at add a qt would only give you 1.6 qts in the engine anyway. I usually add when it gets about a half qt low.
robert

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It amazes me that some of the people on this forum that invest money in their car's maintenance and use quality synthetic engine oil, for some reason are easily satisfied using cheap oil filters?

I use made in Japan OEM Honda oil filters on my Insight.
Oil filters are not all equal, you get what you pay for.
No reason to save a few dollars per year on such an important part.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just because a filter is made in Japan doesn't make it any better than some other ones.
According to Mike Guillory, a retired chemist who retired from a major Oil and Chemical Company, after a career in the Quality Assurance of Fuels, Lubricants, and Chemical products, who writes articles for Honda...
"Newer high-performance filters like the Bosch and the Mobil 1 really are better and not more expensive. Instead of traditional paper filtration, they use a synthetic or mixed paper/synthetic medium that removes up to 98% of 8 to 10 micro particles, where conventional premium paper filters only remove 70% to 90%. "
He also says that SuperTech filters are made by Champion Laboratories who make Mobil One and Bosch filters and also some other automaker brands. While they may not have the advanced filter media of the highest efficiency and highest priced filters, they are considered premium filters and will peform well.

So, I don't feel bad about my supertech, but maybe will look at the mobil one or the pure one filters for my next oil change.

FYI
robert

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
originalbadbob said:
maybe I will look at the mobil one or the pure one filters for my next oil change
Thank you, I feel better now :wink:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Guillermo said:
It amazes me that some of the people on this forum that invest money in their car's maintenance and use quality synthetic engine oil, for some reason are easily satisfied using cheap oil filters?
That is because oil filters are just not that critical in engine life, if you change them often. I used to own a Beechcraft airplane that didn't use an oil filter at all and the engine was fine because the oil was replaced every 100 hours of use. The key factor again is, changing the oil often. But if you went with long oil change intervals, then I most certainly would use a quality oil filter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been trying to find a nice way to reply. So here's my best effort. I have always used Fram's top of the line filter and still do on all my other cars (although I just haven't had a chance to research others yet). No I don't think Fram is the best, far from it. If I were concerned with an oil filter I would not use any spin-on element filter. I would fun an Oberg or something similar. In the past I would never have put a "no name" filter on anything I own. Then I found this site, and with this site and some other research (http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi) I found the no name Wal Mart SuperTech filters to be on par with the best (Bosch, Mobil 1) and made by the same manufacturer. In the end this car is a $20,000 car that has a low compression, low horsepower engine. In all reality if I never changed the oil or filter and just kept it full of oil it would probably run well beyond the life of the battery pack and the time I own it. My plan with this car is to get 5 years out of it (pay it off), save as much money in gas as possible, and trade it in on the next best thing in 2010 (fuel cell maybe CNG maybe Hybrid?). I would not have bought this car unless it was to cut costs. While I do splurge on the synthetic oil. I feel there are more benefits than longer engine life that I won’t go in to here. I think a decent quality filter such as the Wal Mart SuperTech is fine for oil change intervals of 5000 miles. With the 80%+ savings on the price of the filter I apply that to the synthetic oil. So for about the same price as a high dollar spin on filter and dino oil, I get synthetic oil and a filter made by Champion Laboratories (the same people that make filters for Bosch and Mobil). That’s just my take on things and to each his own.

Thanks to the best Insight site on earth,
Todd

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
agreed Todd, except: at nearly 11 to 1, the 5 speed Insight is hardly a "low compression engine".....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Todd said:
My plan with this car is to get 5 years out of it (pay it off), save as much money in gas as possible, and trade it in on the next best thing in 2010 (fuel cell maybe CNG maybe Hybrid?). I would not have bought this car unless it was to cut costs.
If the only reason you purchased an Insight was to save money, you would have saved more in the long run by buying a non hybrid vehicle, like a Metro or Civic. Considering these cars cost about half the cost of an Insight, you would not save this much in fuel going with an Insight in 5 years, even with the current cost of gas. It's simple math.

I bought my Insight mainly because the technology interest me, not because it saves me money in gas (although that is a plus). But I could have gotten a car that gets 40 to 50 mpg for half the cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, not that I need to justify my purchase of a new car but, with gas at approx. $3.00/gal, me driving 500 miles a week to and from work only, and the given price of the other cars here’s a break down.

My moms 2004 Honda Civic with small options (power windows, power locks) $16,000 @ 30mpg driving up and down Cajon Pass daily

My wife’s 2005 Civic Hybrid $20,000 @ 37mpg driving up and down Cajon Pass daily

My 2005 CVT Insight $21,000 @ 50 mpg also driving up and down Cajon Pass daily

Fuel total for 5 years Std Civic $13,000

Fuel total for 5 years Civic Hybrid $10,540

Fuel total for 5 years CVT Insight $7,800

Civic total $29,000
Civic Hybrid total $30,540
CVT Insight $28,800

By the way, Geo and the Metro is no longer made.
Kia on the other hand, could throw a wrench into my equation. Their cars are so cheap you can’t ever overcome that. Of course I didn’t base my whole decision on saving money alone. It was a huge factor. If money was no object you can bet I wouldn’t be driving an Insight. However, with the fuel mileage, Honda reliability, style, technology, and uniqueness of the Insight it’s my choice. You may ask, why not the Toyota hybrid? That’s where uniqueness comes in. How many cars can you buy that are two seaters, aluminum bodied, pull close to 1g in a corner, and get 50+mpg? One the Honda Insight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts