Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pure thinking:
If you use 15W40 engineoil, compared to 0W20 oil, wich of these 2 oilsspecs will have the most impact on enginelifetimes and fuelconsumption. I think that 15W40 has a better change of enginelifetime improvements (due to auto engine stops, wich is actualy the worst thing that can happen to an engine) the best thing is keep it running!! :roll: .If you use 0W20, it is good for less internal engine resistance, so better fuel consumption, but due to the autostop, it is I think it is less good than 15w40 for enginelifetime. Does anybody has a clue?

Greetz Windmill, the Netherlands

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Modern engines are designed for thinner oil.
Thicker oil does not cling well at higher RPMs and does not propect in very tight places.
Studies have shown the a thin synthetic engine oil (like 0W20 jor 0W30) protects better then a thicker regular engine oil (10W30 or 15W40).
If you use a quality synthetic 0W20 oil, engine wear is not an issue.
Synthetic oil clings better then regular oil so in during auto stop your engine will still be protected when it starts up again.

Cold starts are the worse thing for an engine, second is idling under no load. So actually auto stop is better for the engine then idling.
Because the engine is already hot when it starts up after an idle stop.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guillermo, I understand what you mean, but if an engine stops, don't you loose that thin layer of pressurized oil when the engine stops? And idling is for a few minutes ok, if it is idling until engine operating temp that should be fine to, as long as your coolant fluid is within its allowable temps for sufficient cooling. Beyond that drive! The reason I asked this, is that the wrong oil is used in my Insight (15-W40!) instead of the 0W20. Does this actualy matters for the engine lifetime, instead of 0W20?
About shutdowns,I know for example in the aviation industrie, when you have a turbine engine on a aircraft, it will last for approx. 4 or 5 years, because it has a lot of shutdowns, if you take that same engine to an electr.powerplant the engine can last for maybe 15 years (no regular shutdowns).

Greetz Windmill

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
don't you loose that thin layer of pressurized oil when the engine stops?
Actually if you use a quality light weight synthetic oil you don't loose that layer of oil because it has a fantastic clinging abilty. Heavier oils drop down quicker and leave less of a protective coating. A friend of mine opened up an engine that hasn't run in 2 years and he found oil in every internal surface because it just stays stuck there.

Idling is not great for the engine because the tolerances of the pistons and the piston rings are designed to work under load to seal properly without much friction. If there is no load, they don't seal as well and small amounts of combustion gasses start working their way into the engine oil. These gasses contain very acidic, corrosive properties which is one of the reason why oil changes need to be more frequent with lots of city driving and not as frequent with lots of highway driving.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey G, I never realized that pistons were invented that way!!
If you're never use higher engine rpm's above 3000, is that 'bad' for an engine? Is it good for an engine to run it sometimes at higher rpm's so that you use more "mass" output of your piston? I have no idea what is better, low engine rpm's or high engine rpm's :?:

Greets Windmill

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Windmill, synthetic oil was originally developed for turbines because refined oil failed. 15W40 is generally used by Diesel engines as the forces in a diesel are greater due to their high compression and the heavier pistons required to withstand the forces of detonating the diesel oil on the upstroke. :shock:

15W40 or 15W50 synthetic will not damage the Insight but will make the car a little harder to start in extreme cold. Yes, your mileage will suffer a little but your engine will sound qieter. Hmmmm, That is probably why they put it in there in the first place. :roll: 0W30 and 5W30 are alternate grades specified for the Insight in the Electronic Service Manual (ESM). I have been using synthetic 0W30 since breaking the engine in, as a precaution, and so does Willie Wilford in his turbo Insight (on account of the turbo). I did not notice a mileage hit compared to 0W20 refined oil and the motor sounds happier (to my ears). :D

Kip

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Oh yes, pistons do travel higher on the cylinder wall at high RPMs. Deposits can build up. Getting the revs up on rare occasions can prevent this without significant wear. Don't wait ten years at 2000 RPM and then try redlining it.

Kip

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There is no benefit in using a thicker oil in the Insight.
When using a quality synthetic 0W20 or 0W30 engine oil, engine wear while driving is not an issue. Cold starts cause the most engine wear so minimize wear by using light synthetic oil, use a block heater, park in warm garage and reducing the # of cold starts.

It is beneficial for the engine to be used at high RPMs under load everyonce in a while.
An engine will set to a particular way to driving if you are too consistent and stay at low RPMs all the time and never push it.
In an emergency situation (murging onto a highway) your engine will not be able to deliver the maximum power it was designed to, if the pistons and E-TECH cam profile has never been used that way in years...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My "second wife" (or first, she gets so much attention 8) ) is serviced with 15W40 (garage mishap :x ) and I think the regular Hondadealers here in Holland do not have 0W20/30 in stock, so I have to bring my own!

Greetz Windmill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts