Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic (of 20 years, and much trusted) suggested that I run synthetic oil in my Insight. Thought I'd check here first. Does anyone run synthetic oil in their Insight? I've run it in my other vehicles with good results.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
.....yes, probably over half of Insight owners use synthetic; mostly Mobil 1 0w-20.

My suggestion is to buy it yourself at Wal-Mart. It's only around $5.50 per quart. Just buy 3 quarts, and INSIST on getting the partly empty bottle back from whoever changes your oil. Make it very clear to him, that you only want 2.6 quarts put into your engine.

If you cannot find 0w-20, then 5w-20 is the next best thing.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum Eva.

Your owners manual clearly states that you can use synthetic even though Honda doesn't sell it. Your engine will last way longer and you will get better mileage, so it really saves you money verus using Dino oil. It gives you added protection in the unlikely even that you loose oil pressure due to a cracked oil pan or a loose or lost oil plug. It can be used for longer change intervals as well although that is at your own discretion.

It's a win, win, win, win situation that is highly recommended. :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Note that some of us find that our engines take the full three quarts... One of the friendly little "arguments" that go on in here. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would think so, assuming that it has all the appropriate grade markings listed in the owner's manual. I wouldn't leave it in there for 25,000 miles, though...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've been using the Amsoil Series 2000 0-30 for the last 3 years. I've been changing the filter at 12,000 and 24,000 and oil with filter @ 36,000.
I've just rolled over 148,000 and it doesn't use any oil between changes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Normand: thanks for the heads up on the Amzoil 0w20! i have been using their oil in my jeep grand wagoneer for years. i run my commuter car (was jeep, now insight) 15000 miles per year, so i changed the oil whenever the annual inspection was due. nice reminder sticker on the windshield....

now that Amzoil has a 0w20 and an extended drain interval filter to fit the insight i might just switch over from Mobil-1. lets see..... 3 quarts plus a filter (16 bux!) once a year vs 9 quarts and three filters a year... (i change the Mobil every 5000 miles).

hmmmm

·
Registered
408 Posts
We've been using Mobil 1 0w-20 for the past 40k miles or so. I usually keep the change intervals around 6k miles since the filter is so small and the sump is only 2.6 quarts. Most cars that have extended drain intervals are European models that have 6+ quarts of oil. Our oil circulates a lot more often through our engine than those cars.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Honda Insight oil filter from the dealer is a high quality filter.
Made in Japan. It's easily much better quality then most oil filters found in auto part stores that cost less.

I'm a member of HADA which is a non-profit motorsports club where everyone races hondas on race tracks and autoslaloms. Most people in this club use Honda oil filters on their cars, they work very well at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont know if it matters, and it might be against a rule oo, (sorry if it is), but amsoil only sells through dealers. Which they gladly sign you up for, for a fee. Im a dealer, and local to amsoil. I just go down and pick it up. If you guys want anything let me know in a pm and Ill ckeck into it. Since this is only the second day Ive had my insight, Ill probably check into the amsoil by the end of the week. I run a lot of there stuff in a few other things.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm an Amsoil dealer as well and have been using Amsoil products since 1976. The new 0W-20 synthetic is an excellent choice, if not the best, when combined with the Amsoil Ea (absolute efficiency) oil filter. The fact that the engine in our Insight's have very close tolerances and clearances make the 0W-20 the best choice IMHO. The low viscosity of the 0W-20 is an important factor when you're dealing with very close clearances. You can view the spec. sheet for the Amsoil 0W-20 and the Ea oil filter on the Amsoil web site; http://www.amsoil.com You can also become a Amsoil preferred customer for a small fee if you would rather not have to go through a dealer to purchase Amsoil products. I think the current rate is $20.00 per year to become a preferred customer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts