Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

My Insight has begun weeping (what looks like) oil - not much but enough to be noticeabe on the garage floor. It appears to be coming from around the edge of a black plastic "plug" located at the end of the ICE away from the electric motor (ie on the passenger side for those that drive on the right hand side of the road). The plug appears to be in the engine head and faces the engine mount. The plug is about 5cm (2 1/2 inches) in diameter.

I will take my baby to the friendly local Honda service shop asap.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea what the fix is?

Thanks

Ghillie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,923 Posts
leaking oil

The plug covers the Nut on the camshaft. It is a "simple" snap in type plug. Easy solution is to buy another plug. 40 second fix.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Willie,
Showing my lack of mechanical knowledge but should oil leak from this plug. If I recall right it has three tabs that hold it in place on the inside of the engine (I broke one when I tried to remove it for adjusting the valves. I remember thinking why it didn't have a gasket or o ring or something to make a good seal. Mine does not leak even though a tab is broken. I figured it was because it was fairly high compared to the oil level. Just trying to learn a bit more. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,923 Posts
oil leak

Rick;
Yes it is definately higher than the oil level. I assume that if two of the tabs are broken, (I have one broken off also) it could be loose enough for oil too be forced out as the area behind the plug is in a constant "bath". For lubeing the timeing chain, cam gear, tensioner, etc.
Hope this explains it.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Willie. The oil is definitely seeping out from around the plug. I have ordered the part from Honda. It will take 8 days to come from Japan and costs the outrageous price of $25 Australian. I'll fit it myself.

Thanks for your help - made possible by the wonders of the internet.

Ghillie.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,923 Posts
oil leak

The plug is installed in a vertical plane, from the outside. It's better to remove the plug "after" the valve cover is off. On removing the valve cover you can use a small screwdriver to push the top tab slightly towards the center of the plug to "unlock" it. Then pull the plug out slightly (1/8"). Use the screwdriver to "unlock" the other tabs (two) in the same manner. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today, I carefully levered out the plug (which sits vertically) with a screwdriver without taking off the cam cover. I don't think that I did any damage to the plug or the four little clips (which are part of the plug) that hold it in.

However, I do think I may have found the problem. The plug has a rubber O ring around an inner neck that is held against the cam cover by the clips. I think this is what keeps the oil from seeping out. I noticed that the O ring had been pinched to the point of being almost cut through at two points about 0.5 cm apart. (I'm quite sure that I did not do this when using the screwdriver) I think that this defect was sitting at the bottom of the plug and did not seal properly letting small amounts of oil seep out. I have repositioned the ring so that the defect is at the top and reinserted the plug. I'll see if it works to stop the oil coming out.

I have another plug ordered, but I'll see if I can just get another O ring instead. It should be cheaper.

Do you think it is important to take the cam cover off and release the plastic clips from the inside?

Ghillie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,923 Posts
oil leak

Sorry forgot about the "O" ring. That is probably your problem. Not absolutely necc. to remove valve cover to replace or remove plug. Only reason to remove plug anyway is to be able to turn the cam gear..........For whatever reason. If you are adjusting the valves, no reason to remove plug.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been told by the Honda shop I am dealing with that the O ring is not a seperate part from the plastic plug. So it can't be ordered seperately. This is most inconvenient (a polite way of saying "bugger!"). The ring seems quite easy to break.

Any ideas as to where I could get the right part? - other than my local category killer hardware mega-store which I will try unless there is a better option.

Thanks

Ghillie

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I visited a great place called "Southern Bearings" in a light industrial old part of the city that looks like its from 50 years ago. Bingo! I took the plastic plug and they fitted an O ring for me - price $1. I got another as a spare. They advised me to grease it before fitting to reduce the chance of damaging the O ring. I did this and fitted it. I've run the engine and no leaking oil - so far! I'll keep an eye on it. If it is fixed it must be the cheapest repair I've ever done.

Thanks for the help guys

Ghillie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,923 Posts
oil leak

Congratulations! It's amazing what a little bit of "Old Time Ingunity" (sp) will do. Sometimes the "old way" still works.............

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still no more oil leak. The problem seems to be solved - bonzer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts