Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 speed. This morning, on the way in to work, I came to a light and the car went into autostop. The oil light came on at the same time!!!!

When I put it into gear and the engine came on, the light went out. I stopped at the local gas station and the oil level was fine and there was no signs of leaking, seeping, burning or otherwise. I had to stop a few more times on the way in, and the light did not come back on.

If anyone knows what this could foretell, please let me know as we are planning 2 trips totalling 4000 miles. I am out of warranty so I need to go into the dealer armed with information.

Thanks!

Dan in Florida

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil level is fine

oil level is fine

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just speculation (and something I never really thought of before)...but at some point, the computer has to say "ah ha...we are in idle stop...no need to show the "oil" and "batt" light" (and any other light that may come on during a key-on engine off (KOEO) situation.

If you happened to hit just the right set of parameters...maybe the oil was just a bit thin, a warm day, engine wasn't spinning that fast before idle stop, etc, then the oil pressure might have gone low a split second before computer thought it was in idle stop.

I don't know of anything else that the oil light is tied to besides low oil pressure. You said it was only a one time occurrence so far? I'd say if you are close to an oil change interval go ahead and do it, see if the problem persists. If you aren't close to oil change time, wait and see if it happens again, or try and duplicate the conditions so the service guys will have something to go by.

Good Luck

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
close

I'm at about 3500 to 4000. I had planned to go another week (1000 miles). The manual says you can go up to 7500 for ideal conditions, but I almost never go past 4000.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Corey872 said:
at some point, the computer has to say "ah ha...we are in idle stop...no need to show the "oil" and "batt" light" (and any other light that may come on during a key-on engine off (KOEO) situation.
I don't think that's the case: The battery light wouldn't come on in idle-stop, since the DC-DC converter is still working, so 12V power is still being supplied - no need for the battery light.

As far as the oil light goes, I believe the Insight has a special oil filter with a valve that prevents oil from draining into the pan in idle-stop. Maybe that's where the problem is?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Armin,

That is a good point on the "Batt" light...sorry, I was still in conventional car mode :oops:

I see you point on the oil drainback valve, I don't think the valve would specifically keep pressure in the system as the other end (all the bearing lube holes and such) are still open. Although it may help keep pressure for just a bit longer and would definitely help oil pressure build quicker once the engine started.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the IMA does close the Oil light when idle stop to prevent false warnings. I need to remember where I have read that.

The oil pressure is surely not held while auto-stop.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Its most likely simply a glitch, unless / until it becomes more
frequent or is reproducible under a specific set of circumstances.

Page 80 of the ETM shows 4 inputs to the gauge assembly from the ECM.
TIM, SIL, ENGRDY, NEP. The ENGRDY (I believe this to be the "autostop"
signal) and NEP (engine RPM signal) are defined and are used by the
gauge cpu to determine if the oil pressure switch signal (on/off) should
allow the oil light to illuminate.

So there are limited possibilities of failure. The needed signals are
also used for the auto stop and tach indicators. If both of these are
working then the signals are good and available at the gauge assembly.
Its unclear what the TIM and SIL signals from the ECM are used for but I
don't see what additional logic is needed for the gauge's oil warning
light function. The BCM and MCM have their own inputs that are probably
related to the IMA battery gauges.

So its either a glitch, which is not uncommon or the beginnings of a
gauge assembly failure, which will happen eventually. Time will tell.

BTW sufficient oil level is a requirement to keep the oil light off.
However, lack of oil circulation is what causes the oil light to
illuminate. Which can be due to other reasons. Driving the car with the
oil warning light on *and* oil not circulating will turn an engine into
a hunk of scrap metal in less than a mile!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info

I drove about 200 miles yesterday and no probs, soI will hope it was a glitch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts