Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Are you are talking about the thread on the plug or the oil pan? If it is the threads on the plug then you would just have to replace the plug which shouldn't be expensive. If the female threads of the oil pan are stripped then that is more serious. It is possible that a Helicoil insert could be used to repair the thread, but to do this the oil pan would have to be removed so that particles of metal cut by the Helicoil tool would not contaminate the engine oil. I seem to recall that these threads are cut into a reinforced piece that is made of steel so it might be possible to repair the pan some other way. The pan is a structural part of the engine and is a Magnesium casting. It is laborious to remove and expensive to replace. If the plug is leaking make sure that it is not just dirt or a malformed compression washer. You don't want to have oil dripping onto the plastic panel under the pan. The plastic will begin to warp. If this has already happened you can clean the panel with Varsol, heat it with a hair dryer, and carefully bend it back to shape, providing it is not warped too badly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
oil pan drain

Hi jhfrazee,

The oil pan itself isn't threaded. The plug screws into an insert that bolts to the oil pan. If the threads strip in the insert, the insert would be replaced, not the pan.

OOOPS! Sorry about that. I guess I never followed the thread on the other board to it's ultimate conclusion. :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Now just don't strip the bolt on the insert! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The problem I'm having with my dealer is that after the last oil change at theirplace the service tech who did the change noted that the "oil pan threads were stripped, most likely at last oil change" which they also did, although they are trying to deny it because of the longer than usual gap between oil changes. They claim that I had the oil changed somewhere else and that's where the damage was done. They tried to make a repair using 4 parts which they ordered, but found that it couldn't be done. So they offered a "generous" settlement of charging me only half price for a new pan which amounts to $295 plus tax. They claim that the damage was done back in the 40,000 mile range. I'm saying that damaged threads wouldn't last that long before they came out.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
<replies inline>

Jim wrote:

> The oil pan itself isn't threaded. The plug screws into an insert that
> bolts to the oil pan. If the threads strip in the insert, the insert
> would be replaced, not the pan.

I remember following a thread in a Yahoo group on the same subject. The plate you see isn't threaded. Since the pan is Magnesium a plate for the drain plug crush washer is needed to prevent rapid chaffing of this face. As I remember the threads are in the pan. :(

jhfrazee wrote:

> They claim that I had the oil changed somewhere else and that's where the
> damage was done.

If this is false I'd hold my ground. Contact Honda customer relations in your zone. Contact information is in your owners manual and is a toll call. If your missing interval is in step with your oil change history unfortunately you are on weaker ground.

Stripped is a total failure. There are degrees of thread damage. And has been already stated frequently this damage is shared with the drain plug. Replace the plug (inexpensive) and chase the threads with a tap. The small amount of metal flakes that _may_ remain in the pan is only a _minimal_ risk. Only the oil pump will be subject to intake of the flakes then the filter will trap them. Since the flakes (Magnesium) are softer then the pump (steel) its difficult to imagine much damage from this one episode.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I highly recommend installing an oil drain valve like the FRAM SureDrain valve.
Just replace the oil drain plug with this valve and you will never need to worry about damaging your oil pan, because it will never need to be removed.
If there are still a few threads left, it might not be too late to add this valve instead of paying for an expensive repair. Just make sure it doesn't leak and keep an eye on it in the future.

http://www.autobarn.net/frasdseries.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts