Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The head of my drain plug is completely stripped. It's like the mechanic before me cranked it on there as hard as they could each time and then tried tearing it off each oil change. It was done at a Honda dealer every time prior to my purchasing the car.
Anyways, I can't currently get it off, and am in severe need of an oil change. I'm going to try vise grips on it this weekend when I am off. Does anyone know the size of the plug? I'm definitely going to need a new one. I'll be getting it at Autozone or a similar place.
Thank you.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
When you get it out, replace it with this. Many owners use it. I use the 106N (with nipple) for easy plastic tubing attachment. (link has size info).

Many a mechanic has stripped the threads on the magnesium oil pan. Costly repair.

·
3,641 Posts
I'm definitely going to need a new one. I'll be getting it at Autozone or a similar place.

Reader,
Order a Fumoto valve today like Mountain Driver suggested. That way it is here by the time you are changing the oil. If your drain plug is damaged, I would guess that the much softer oil pan threads are too. With the Fumoto valve, you will never have to remove a plug, so the threads will not deteriorate.
Maybe even have a backup plan and get one of these: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/needa-parts-oil-drain-plug-universal-1-2-inch-m12-65200/5019834-p?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-GPLA-_-5019834&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=5019834&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_214327102_g_12425515822_w_pla-150221863462_h_9026186_ii__d_t_v__n_g_x_pla_y_6201684_f_online_o_5019834_z_US_i_en_j_150221863462_s__vi__&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzq63BRCrtIuGjImRoIIBEiQAGLHdYZx24jU2Ksbqv9qOI_cScHZ0hR6NXDTlksZ2OU1W7f8aAlli8P8HAQ#utm_source=pla&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=5019834 (check the right application!)
HTH

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
In the short term to avoid removing the oil drain plug and change out as soon as possible, siphoning the oil via the dipstick tube using specialized equipment may be an option. Would that be available at a commercial oil change facility in your area?]
If vice grips don't easily grab on that rounded-off oil plug hex-head [slipping], [and/or the extractor tool's out of reach], filing down opposite sides of the rounded oil plug to get a better bite may help. If the points of a smaller sized closed-end 6-pt wrench can fit tight to the face of the sides of the hex nut,[may have to be tapped onto the plug] then I'd try and give the wrench a twist or a light tap with a small rubber mallet to attempt to break it loose. Good luck!
[May not want to try this junkyard racer technique but : If the engine is super dirty you could run an initial oil change using "automatic transmission fluid" in place of regular engine oil and run the car _for a short period_, ~15 minutes parked idling, revving low a tiny bit. Then once warmed up, the ATF is drained completely and replaced with appropriate motor oil with fresh filter.
Drain the [dirty motor oil] into a clean pan and you can inspect what bits have collected. Magnets and a bright light helps spot stuff when it's pouring. [fwiw: Other items may need attention due to dirty oil condition. VTEC filter, EGR plate??]
Fumoto valve shown as installed below on Insight [stock oil plug spacer bracket removed]. The angle could be rotated so that the open-close lever is pointing upwards. fwiw: I've had no issues with the lever being lower than the plane of the base of the oil pan in street driving.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/AbCaRed00/hondainsighthalfshaftrightfumotoviewIMG_7226.jpg
My car's F106N shown above is installed with the valve lever a few mm below the plane of the bottom of the oil pan. That was the angle where the valve stopped turning and was snug without any further stripping. [The stock spacer was removed in installation for Fumoto's threads to pass deeper into the pan boss's threads.]
fwiw: Easy access to the valve lever is had from up top of the engine bay reaching downwards to fit the clear plastic tube. With catch pan in place and tube routed, just turn the valve lever open, drain, and close
the valve.
[Oil filter access via top front right side, and no underpans are touched.:-|]

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Yes, the Fumoto is a must-have for this car.

I have never heard of a drain plug so stuck but often the drain plug for the CVT transmission seizes on. Use a propane torch to heat the thread area of the pan then use vice-grips. Still stuck? Then more heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts