Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer told me yesterday that there is a shortage of the additive used to make 0w20 oil and won't be getting anymore till February. They've never lied to me yet so I went and bought some synthetic 5w-20 as I'm overdue. The oil light came on twice yesterday as I slowed down and went into autostop. Also, my mileage really sucks. Not sure how long I dare drive it like this, but FYI, next time, I'll just go to the dealer I don't trust as much or call a Toyota dealer to buy some oil.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That sounds like low oil presure! It should have nothing to do with the grade of oil. I'd check under the car right away to see if they messed up on the oil change by either stripping the oil plug, puncturing the oil filter, cross threading the filter, or forgetting to put new oil in!!!!! :cry:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oil Light!

Dan,
Kip is right, I wouldn't even drive the car like that, unless you want to buy another motor. Yes, if they just did an oil change, and the light is coming on, someone probly screwed up. Mobil 1, Super Syn 5W-30, not cheap, but I wouldn't put anything else in my baby, ever. No effect on mileage, any filter will do. Engine may out last you. Jack

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAI remember Dan, was it you that had experienced some abnormal oil warning light(s) in the past :?: Somebody posted with such an issue. If it comes on concurrently with an autostop then its an electrical fault with the gauge.

[edit]

Yup, you did here:

Oil light in Autostop????
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1445

How about you keeping a local copy of asked and answered questions that are / were of interest to you :?:

:|

[end edit]

In an AS there _will_ be no oil pressure :!: The gauge circuitry is supposed to be aware of this and correctly suppress a valid oil pressure warning light.

OTOH with a used engine there could be problems and driving with insufficient oil pressure will cause rapid damage. Even if the pressure is sufficient to keep the light off a greater amount is needed for higher engine RPM's. If it's in this abnormal low range damage will be occurring :!: A direct reading of the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge is the definitive test.

The other posts answer your other questions. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil changed

I had it changed again, today. Hopefully all's better

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
followup

The oil light has never some back on since. Lesson learned...NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING BESIDES 0W-20 IN THIS CAR

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Oil viscosity will have and oil pressure impact if the weather is cold enough. But given your location, IMO it sounds like there's something else up in your case.

_MANY_ members have tried and use other viscosities up to 10w-30 (full synthetic) without any symptoms. And I doubt that even dino based 10w-30 would have this "problem" even in sub freezing conditions.

Of course there ore other considerations and reasons to only use the manufacturer specified optimal 0w-20 and the've been extensively discussed in other threads. Use the forum search feature if your interested. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Something doesn't sound right about this, and I would NOT drive the car like this. The use of 5w-20 vs 0w-20 should have no effect whatsoever, certainly not what you've experienced. I'd be suspicious they left the filter loose, or worse.

FWIW, checking out this forum and several others, these little Honda 1.0L 3 bangers seem to run forever with normal care, i.e., maintaining by the the factory schedule. Just another reason to gloat when your neighbors starts moaning about the cost of running and fixing their _____ (fill in the blank).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem fixed

I had the oil changed the next day (with the correct oil) and it hasn't messed up once. Also, it didn't mess up at all until the other oil. I'm just happy it works. :p

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: followup

dfiore said:
The oil light has never some back on since. Lesson learned...NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING BESIDES 0W-20 IN THIS CAR
You engine won't know the difference between 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. It only comes into effect during startup in extremely cold conditions. Remember the oil is 0W or 5W when it is cold, as it heats up it changes its weight up to 20W. So after starting, the oil gets warmer and the oil changes viscosity very fast.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know what to say

but it made a difference in my car. I only had the problem WITH that oil. As soon as the oil was changed the problem went away. I'm just glad it's working right :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not to unnecessarily worry you Dan but something else must be up. Its just that simple. Quite likely you were underfilled. But there are several other less cost "friendly" possibilities.

Start monitoring your oil level for any loss.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
monitoring

I'll do that. thanks! No worries, mate? :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts